• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • My Toy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Westminster
    I purchased a suppressor for my Remington 700 /w 16" treaded barrel in 300 blackout. Still probably 5 -6 months away from actually being able to take possession of it. Anyway loaded up my first try at subsonic and chronographed them yesterday. The two loads were: 1. 194 gr Lehigh Max X, CCI-450, Starline unfired brass and 9.6 grs W296. 2. 190 gr. Hornady Sub-X, CCI450, Starline unfired brass and 9.6 grs W296. The powder charges were the loads listed on the Hodgdon Website. The 9.6 gr. charge weight of W296 was the only charge weight listed ( ie. no starting charge weight). Both loads produced in the neighborhood of 1190 FPS. It is my understanding you've got to get below 1100 fps to really be subsonic. I've read in multiple places the admonition about reducing W296 below recommendations. The only way to get these loads below 1100 fps that I see is to reduce the powder charge. Doesn't seem like a prudent idea. So I'm asking advice from experienced subsonic reloaders? I also have some Lil'Gun if anyone has ever used that. What are other powder recommendations?

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Aa1680.
    Imr4227

If you are bot seeing coking down the shoulder/case body, you can reduce a bit of charge weight.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I've read in multiple places the admonition about reducing W296 below recommendations. The only way to get these loads below 1100 fps that I see is to reduce the powder charge. Doesn't seem like a prudent idea. So I'm asking advice from experienced subsonic reloaders? I also have some Lil'Gun if anyone has ever used that. What are other powder recommendations?
    CFE BLK, Accurate 1680, and SW Blackout are fantastic powders for subs, and can also do a pretty credible job with supers at higher charge weights. Also have a lot of use in 7.62x39 reloads if you're into that.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    A 1680. I've tried many recommended powders and always came back to Accurate.

mtlcafan79

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2008
    PG
    You don't need any of these gas gun powers. I use 6.4gr of N320 behind 220gr Sierra RN pills in a single shot 300blk setup. Keep the velocity below 1000 fps, preferably closer to 900 fps to keep it out of transonic region and it will be a lot quieter.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    You don't need any of these gas gun powers. I use 6.4gr of N320 behind 220gr Sierra RN pills in a single shot 300blk setup. Keep the velocity below 1000 fps, preferably closer to 900 fps to keep it out of transonic region and it will be a lot quieter.
    Yeah, I'm not doing dynamic entries with a single shot. Lol

mtlcafan79

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2008
    PG
    Yeah, I'm not doing dynamic entries with a single shot. Lol
    I wouldn't dynamic entry with a bolt gun either, but that's what OP has. He doesn't need the extra gas that 1680, Lil gun, H110, etc. generate. In my experience loads that are borderline subsonic in a gas gun will go super in a manual action.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    9gr of H110 under a Lee mold once powder coated is about 230gr
    Subsonic at about 1050fps

I recall someone mentioning H110 was very close to lil gun for load data.

quiet once suppressed.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I wouldn't dynamic entry with a bolt gun either, but that's what OP has. He doesn't need the extra gas that 1680, Lil gun, H110, etc. generate. In my experience loads that are borderline subsonic in a gas gun will go super in a manual action.
    Barrel length is probably a much bigger factor than action. That said, at least for me, if I'm gonna go to the time and expense of loading a bunch of subs, why not use a powder that will make them work a semi-auto in a pinch, too? PSA and BCA both sell cheapo uppers for lolzing purposes, it's not a big investment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom