• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    Choosing an optic for my 300 blackout build is proving difficult. I only have another $600-650 to spend if I am going to bring the build in within budget. The scopes with the blackout BDC reticles are, therefore, priced way the heck above what I’m looking to spend. I want variable power with the low end being at 1 – 1.5 and the high end being 4+.

Right now the front runner is the Vortex Viper PST 1-4x24 (pic below) with the MOA reticle which looks like it can be had for $500. The reason I am looking at that over other comparable options is that it has a true 1x and it’s reticle is pretty good for holdovers (see pic below). Since the subsonic rounds I will be using most of the time fly like a freaking rainbow, this is an important feature (though I would have preferred a longer elevation axis since 30 MOA only take me to about 280 yards, but past that I can dial in some more distance). Very few other scopes can give me this kind of holdover accuracy.

If I go with this, I will likely use the American Defense Recon QD mount (pic below).

I’m interested in what other people are using on their 300BLK builds and/or whether anyone can suggest a better option for me within (or close to) my budget.

Thanks. :thumbsup:

sub_pst_s_1-4x24_tmcq_moa.jpg

vpr-pst_14s1-a_f-t.jpg

l_100005757_1.jpg

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    If I were buying a new low power scope, I'd look at the 1-6's. Optisan has new one that looks nice, but doesn't have BDC. SWFA also has a 1-6 coming out. Im using a FireField 1-6 with mil hashes and am very happy with it. However, it's well below your price range.

I prefer the Larue QD's like the LT-104, but the American Defense looks pretty nice.

-Jim

ride4frnt

Jun 18, 2011
    Clear Spring
    All this variable stuff has me second guessing my .300 project. I've convinced myself that I want one, but i don't know if it's what I want from a practicality standpoint. I'm gonna wait til last thing to buy the barrel that way I know for sure it's what I want.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Since I've blown most of my budget, for now I'm just using a cheap 2x7 optic. It's got over 4" of eye relief and at 2x I can still shoot with both eyes open, so for now it'll have to do. Pending an actual range trip, it may stay, but it's likely to go away.

I'm interested in seeing what other's have done for their own setups, once I recover some I'll be looking at other options.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    I like that reticle. I have a 1.8-10X on mine, but I have below average eyesight.

Also, American Defense offers that mount in a 20 MoA model. If I had it to do again, that's the one I'd get. At some point, I might sell mine and get the 20 MoA model.

JoeBobOutfitters.com

Industry Partner
    Oct 20, 2010
    Hays, KS
    We just got in a batch of Vortex Viper PST 1-4x24 Scopes w/ MOA Reticle. They took a handful of months to arrive, but now they're back in stock again.

I have the same scope but the capped turret version on my most recent 3gun rifle. They're really nice scopes for the money. In that price range, the Vipers hold their own. We sell more Vipers than we do Vortex Diamondbacks and Crossfire scopes.

IMO, the 300BLK is pretty well suited to a 1-4 or 1-6 style of scope. A nice 1power for close-range stuff and a little power to reach out there a bit. A reticle to do some educated hold-over with as well is a plus for longer range stuff.

Obviously your setup is designed for a closer quarters rifle, and not a long range setup, so I'd think any of the 1-4 or 1-6 variety would suit you well.

LineofSight

MSI Member, NRA Member
    Oct 4, 2010
    All OVER
    We have Daniel Defense 300 uppers, complete rifles and Vortex Viper PST 1-4s in stock. You should come by and browse sometime.

I'll certainly be by...hopefully next Saturday. Not a fan of their rails though. Wish the new Troy Battle rail delta would drop straight in, then I'm probably sold...doesn't appear to have A2 post though according to their site.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom