• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    It is hard to go wrong with a $300 Beretta 92. These have a lot of character. If you get the real Beretta mags, they will fit (you need the ones with the notch at the bottom, these pre-date the military contract and have a bottom catch). Mec-Gar or some other aftermarket will not fit. Parts are very easy to find (including correct grips on ebay with the bottom notch for the mag release), and the barrels on these seem to be decent. Choose hand pick. I think these are surplus Italian law enforcement and mostly: Italian Law enforcement spends a lot of time attacking a good salami. You might find some dried formaggio that you need to scrape out. The proper lube might be extra virgin.

The sights and slide will probably be worn a from holster wear. Might have to apply a little Kentucky windage due to wear. The only other quirk vs the newer models is that you need to remove the mag release at the bottom to change the hammer spring.

These will not be a safe queen. On the other hand, they will not need to be taken to the range in your hermetically sealed pistol case stuffed with silica packs, and they will shoot great.

for $7 have your FFL ship the 15 rounder to your out of state friend.

Elgan

NRA Endowment Member
    Sep 4, 2012
    Harford County
    I honestly was nowhere near thinking about buying another handgun for a long time, and now I find myself looking forward to thinking about this deal for the next couple of hours.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Had one, they kind of suck. Crappy sights and heel mag release. M9s are now $500 shipped, looking at going that route.

MocoJed

Nov 16, 2015
    Loco Moco
    Saw a good price recently at Classic Firearms, but when the AIM deal was going on, my FFL said it wasn't on the roster so that was a no go. This was also confirmed by an email exchange with Ms. Jenkins... Am I missing something here?

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Saw a good price recently at Classic Firearms, but when the AIM deal was going on, my FFL said it wasn't on the roster so that was a no go. This was also confirmed by an email exchange with Ms. Jenkins... Am I missing something here?

I don't know, mine got not disapproved with no problems :shrug:

I did have to get a couple of mags from Beretta (shipped to PA) Haven't even gotten out to shoot it yet!

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.

92S models were made before 1985 (http://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/guide-beretta-92/). Most if not all on the market are surplus Italian law enforcement. You can verify this because when you take the grips off to clean it you'll find crusty old parmesan cheese. The instructions say that the proper lube is olive oil. The good news, I do not think Italian police do much because these are in excellent condition, save some holster wear.

Guns made before 1985 are exempt from the roster. Your FFL should fill out the paperwork accordingly.

MocoJed

Nov 16, 2015
    Loco Moco
    92S models were made before 1985 (http://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/guide-beretta-92/). Most if not all on the market are surplus Italian law enforcement. You can verify this because when you take the grips off to clean it you'll find crusty old parmesan cheese. The instructions say that the proper lube is olive oil. The good news, I do not think Italian police do much because these are in excellent condition, save some holster wear.

Guns made before 1985 are exempt from the roster. Your FFL should fill out the paperwork accordingly.

Thank you!!! Will be forwarding that link. Love this forum!

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA

The latest year I've seen them proofed with was 2006. I'm not sure if the Italians kept ordering them after they had been discontinued or if that's the proofing date when they were first sold out of govt service as surplus. I've also seen ones without civilian proof marks on them, but also don't know if that's because they were never proofed originally as govt guns or if they missed them when selling them out of service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom