• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blawson

Apr 18, 2013
    Severn
    Not disputing the statistics you report yet but what defines a "small state"? What population? It's unclear if that statistic is normalized on a per capita basis. On its face a 2nd place position in a list of small states seems a bit simplistic. Sort of like binning different bits of information to make a point like in certain professional sports. "He's the first to do that on six Wednesdays in a row since..."

Yea it's based on population and the crime rate per 100k people. And yes it does have its limitations but I was just pointing out that one could make the argument that Delaware has a crime problem. I just graduated from college and my buddy wrote his thesis on this topic and I just remembered that statistic because I'm planning on moving there before the end of the year.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    From the MSP's viewpoint , if they lend their offical imprint to tolerating sales to procede with "only" NICS , they would be pointing out that the Emporer has no clothes , and that their entire handgun purchase scheme is uneeded , and wasteful.
    If felons fall thru the cracks after MSP "recomended" for dealers to wait , they can retain their high ground, and fingerpoint elsewhere.

The news piece refered to "up to 30 prohibited" receiving. I'd like to know , how many was it ? Are they actually prohibited , or was it just unpaid parking tickets , or late child support ?

Their contention is that their review is more thorough. What they fail to mention is that the reason it is more thorough is that Maryland refuses to comply with Federal law and provide information to the NICS system. That is the story that needs to get out. If a Marylander with mental issues moves out of this state and then goes to purchase a handgun in that state, NICS has no information on that person to deny the purchase.

IMHO it puts Maryland at risk for a lawsuit.

teqmod

redneck gun toting member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Downey Oshunn
    I would like to know how many "disapproved" actually passed the NICS check but failed the "additional checks" performed by MSP

DaedalEVE

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 31, 2008
    The Dictatorship of Maryland
    Yet another reason to get people INVOLVED in the process, and make sure their Elected Officials know what is needed!!!

Not directed at you, but I get so tired of folks not getting involved, and thinking that there is no way to change it.
    Yet another reason to say "screw this crap" and start a God Damned revolution!
    I mean seriously. I know "violence isn't the answer" (except in every single situation where it turns out that it is) but exactly how much of this stuff is everyone going to keep putting up with before they actually get off their butts and do something about it?
    Do you honestly think ANY of this is ever going to be made better with legislation? Because I can tell you right now it's not.
    I've seen the future, and it's just more of this anti-gun, totalitarian police state BS where the government has a complete monopoly on the use of force.
    You know why this is what's going to happen? Two simple reasons:
    1) You keep trying to play by the rules.
    2) They don't follow the rules.
    It's that simple.

Like it or not we're at war, and it's one that our side is slowly losing. I'm just wondering how bad things really have to get before most of you actually recognize that fact?

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    So next time you grab Mcdonalds be sure to give the kid in the drive thru your name, address, date of birth, social security number, and the fact that you own guns.

Not really something you want a high school "intern" having possession of is it?

I agree the solution is what just about EVERY OTHER state does...and that's allow the dealer to do the NCIS checks. Then if MD wants to be more strict they can set up a hot line to do the 2-3 checks that are being done in addition to NCIS

They need to modernize. Get it all online.

Of course, anti's fail to understand that computers can check thousands of records in seconds.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Yet another reason to say "screw this crap" and start a God Damned revolution!
    I mean seriously. I know "violence isn't the answer" (except in every single situation where it turns out that it is) but exactly how much of this stuff is everyone going to keep putting up with before they actually get off their butts and do something about it?
    Do you honestly think ANY of this is ever going to be made better with legislation? Because I can tell you right now it's not.
    I've seen the future, and it's just more of this anti-gun, totalitarian police state BS where the government has a complete monopoly on the use of force.
    You know why this is what's going to happen? Two simple reasons:
    1) You keep trying to play by the rules.
    2) They don't follow the rules.
    It's that simple.

Like it or not we're at war, and it's one that our side is slowly losing. I'm just wondering how bad things really have to get before most of you actually recognize that fact?

I always wonder what people like this actually propose when you say this.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    So next time you grab Mcdonalds be sure to give the kid in the drive thru your name, address, date of birth, social security number, and the fact that you own guns.

Not really something you want a high school "intern" having possession of is it?

I agree the solution is what just about EVERY OTHER state does...and that's allow the dealer to do the NCIS checks. Then if MD wants to be more strict they can set up a hot line to do the 2-3 checks that are being done in addition to NCIS

And just think, in a few months those same 10th grade drop-outs will have access to your most personal medical history.

Doctor-Patient confidentiality? What's that?

You've been seeing a what? And you're taking what? And you want to own a what?

This could be another one of those fake, i mean, phony scandals.

Last edited:

freddie

Mar 20, 2013
    They need to modernize. Get it all online.

Of course, anti's fail to understand that computers can check thousands of records in seconds.

I know that forms are going to be online entry at FFLs come Oct. 1 - A1uniform FFL already has terminals and desks so that you can sit down and fill out the forms.

I read somewhere that Maryland had received quotes to tie all of their databases together for background checking but chose not to fund. Sad, it is 2013 after all and should be automated.

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    I dont think the story sounded bad. I think they highlighted that MD has excess rules not in line with the Fed and that MSP cant do their job and when suggested to do what all the other states do it was rejected.

Meaning the FFLs could do the job to prevent this but MSP wont let them

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    It's Maryland...

Anything they can't ban outright, every effort will be mad to tax, add fees, regulate, license, and encumber it to the point it's too painful and expensive for 95% of people to engage in.

isnt that the honest truth... Sad part is is almost pointless to try and do something about either. most people in this state have their heads so far up their asses they cant even think for themselves anymore

Pstango

Sep 21, 2011
    Mary Esther, FL
    NPR did a story on it this morning. Made FFLs sound irresponsible to ignore the MSP's request that they wait to release.

Didn't mention that the MSP is required by law to respond in 7 days, or that this whole mess could be avoided if FFLs were allowed to at least to an instant NICs check. Way to play the martyr, Maryland!

Yup... I noticed 680am's progression today from just mentioning that 30 handguns were seized after being released after 8 days to essentially how irresponsible FFLs released handguns to criminals after 8 days without proper MSP approval because of their backlog due to overwhelming gun purchases. Blah blah blah... I think the media is turning on this.

SmithWesson66

Feb 28, 2009
    Be nice folks. Here is a real time picture of the hard work being done to approve these applications...

Attachments

• 1350_20_starlink-workstations-computer-fashions-of-the-1980s.jpg
      1350_20_starlink-workstations-computer-fashions-of-the-1980s.jpg
      26.3 KB · Views: 110

SmithWesson66

Feb 28, 2009
    Assuming 40 hours per week and no leave or holidays, 5 people will only process 41,600 applications a year.

Just how long do they expect those dealers to hold on to those guns?

We as gunbuyers have paid $800,000 to have these approved in a timely fashion($10 fee x 80k applications). It's called sandbagging. Not only do they make huge profits from the windfall of fees, they effective ban gun ownership more effectively than any other state in the country(who else has 100+ day waits???) It's an anti's wet dream come true....

Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative
    "Profit" is IMO much less a motivation for the Administration in this case than folks may think.

This is all about infringement, and preventing-without-preventing people from getting their firearms.

They do this all the time with any behavior that is deemed unwelcomed. Hunting, fishing, travel, private property... And if it's something related to self-sufficiency?? Doubling down is the norm.

While not banning things outright, pressure is brought to bear that discourages all but the most ardent, determined, and/or well-heeled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom