30 Days till bow season starts. Are you ready?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    Let the countdown begin. Bow season is fast approaching, hope you have been practicing.
    This will be my second year bow hunting so I am still a bit green, but I have been shooting my bow at least 4 times a week on average since the end of last season. Now I am concentrating more on shooting from my tree stand at 3D targets instead of on the ground shooting at a block target.

What is your practice routine?

mancheechee

Daily Trigger
    Jul 22, 2010
    Frederick
    no I'm not ready...don't have a bow.
    I'm gonna wait it out til end of the season to buy one cheaper than it is going now and by next year, i'll have plenty of practice

Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    That is not a bad plan. My boss just bought a bow and is scrambling to get ready for this year. He should have gotten it a few months ago especially since he can't shoot it at home on a daily basis to get ready. I was helping him get it set up last Saturday at my house.

xd40c

Business Owner-Gun Toter
    Sep 20, 2007
    East Earl, PA
    no I'm not ready...don't have a bow.
    I'm gonna wait it out til end of the season to buy one cheaper than it is going now and by next year, i'll have plenty of practice

I understand you thinking, but you'll be buying stuff that's been picked over all season. Archery gear is not restocked till next season. Right now is the best time to buy. It's been said here before...buy once, cry once.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I bought a crossbow last Saturday, took it out to check zero last Sunday. It shoots great, I know I can hit an 8 inch circle at 40 yards; good enough.

This will be my first year hunting since I was a kid, decades ago. At least I have a buddy showing me the ropes; hoping to get advice from others.

I understand as crossbow hunters we can hunt most every other season, so it should be wide open. Different rules regarding camo and blaze orange; after the hunter safety class I'm pretty sure I got it (orange in gun season, camo during bow season).

Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    I bought a crossbow last Saturday, took it out to check zero last Sunday. It shoots great, I know I can hit an 8 inch circle at 40 yards; good enough.

Nice! good luck with the new crossbow.

You might want to shrink that down to 4" @ 40 ;) But for the first day out 8" is good. Sometime I would like to try a crossbow.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Can't wait. Season starts on September 7th this year and I hope to have the AC installed in my tree stand. I'm sure it will be at least 105 degrees on opening day.

Why DNR chose to start it early in the heat instead let go a week or two longer in the cold months is beyond me. My theory is this: They are giving us more time, but, we're going to pay for it. I have no desire to take advantage of it.

highwayheat

highwayheat
    Jun 13, 2012
    Ceciltucky
    Can't wait. This will be my first year bow hunting. I'm going to be doing spot and stalk from the ground since I'm holding off on a tree stand so I can buy a new hunting rifle. Right now i'm ground shooting for practice.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    My understanding from those that have crop permits is the flavor of the deer is better earlier in the season rather than November time frame. Any truth to this?

If so, I'm shooting all mine with a bow the first week LOL

rem87062597

Annapolis, MD
    Jul 13, 2012
    I don't know, this is traditionally squirrel season for me. Hmm. Since carrying a both .22 and a bow for deer hunting is illegal, I guess it's time to pick up a couple judo points for my bow. I may as well multitask.

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    went the other night and started cutting my shooting lanes from my one ladder stand. I am pretty hopped up this season I have a super trail leading to a bottom full of oak trees that are already starting to drop big fat nuts.

I am going to shot a couple nice little meat does right off the bat!

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    bags of ice are your friend!

I gave up on the bags of ice several years ago. I now have a 4X8X10 walk in box with a Cool-Bot that keeps the walk in at a steady 38 degrees even on the hottest days. The walk in in 5 minutes from my tree stand. The problem is not the deer going bad, but, the hunter suffering in the heat with added gnats, mosquitoes, chiggers, and whatever else we can't see. What I need is an air conditioned bee keeper suit.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    My understanding from those that have crop permits is the flavor of the deer is better earlier in the season rather than November time frame. Any truth to this?

If so, I'm shooting all mine with a bow the first week LOL

First I've ever heard of this theory. I don't believe a word of it, but, we know Yearlings are more tender than old farts.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    went the other night and started cutting my shooting lanes from my one ladder stand. I am pretty hopped up this season I have a super trail leading to a bottom full of oak trees that are already starting to drop big fat nuts.

I am going to shot a couple nice little meat does right off the bat!

I'm one of the "lucky ones" this year. Unlimited Does and Sunday hunts to boot. The freezers will be full this year for sure.

Attachments

• 2012 bow season.jpg
      2012 bow season.jpg
      67 KB · Views: 99

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads