• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • basscat

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    I've read a lot of posts about people waiting for their prior purchase paperwork to be returned from MSP before obtaining another regulated firearm. A lot are saying that this backlog has them waiting 60 days before they can purchase again. Here is word for word on line 12 of 77r-1:
    " If you are NOT a designated collector: Have you purchased a regulated firearm within the past thirty (30) days? "
    Correct me if Im wrong but the operable word here is "purchased". It doesn't say "taken possession of". If I purchased one April 1 then Then I can "purchase" another come March 2 whether or not my paperwork has been returned from MSP. Whether you physically take possision of it is irrelevent to the actual purchase. Am I missing something?

MauiWowie

I have the SIGness...
    Nov 23, 2008
    Harford Co.
    I was told it is from the day you take possession until then you haven't bought anything bc there is a chance you can't have it.
    You can also buy 2 at one time and just have to wait 60 days.
    That's an option.
    Getting my collectors was the best decision ever

broguns

Mar 10, 2013
    I have been looking into this as well. I was told by the msp licensing division that even though I purchased and turned in paperwork for a firearm on 4/5 I could put in more paperwork today because they won't get to the current firearm until well after 30 days from that point. They said to just have my ffl call the licensing division if they have any questions.

basscat

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    Possibly but it doesn't say that. When I buy a gun I Pay for it, get a receipt, and wait. I purchased it. If its not a purchase then what is it? When you sign that 77-r it in essence becomes a contract therefore nothing outside its four corners can be implied. If i was not to be approved then I would return it thus negateing the "purchase".

MichaelTech

Feb 21, 2013
    I have been looking into this as well. I was told by the msp licensing division that even though I purchased and turned in paperwork for a firearm on 4/5 I could put in more paperwork today because they won't get to the current firearm until well after 30 days from that point. They said to just have my ffl call the licensing division if they have any questions.

I am in this situation now.

My paperwork was faxed on the 28th.

I am at Day 53 today.

I have another registered arm that is being picked up from the Delivery service today.

The problem,

My FFL is sour and is not being too cooperative. So getting any answers out of him right now are a problem.

I was also told that I could go ahead and submit my paperwork for the second one even though I don't have the first back yet as the wait is so long that the 30 days will be long gone.

The only question I have is since I have not received the first restricted and don't know what date I am getting it I don't know how to answer the line 12 question.

I don't know how long from the time I send in my paperwork till I take possession of my first will be if it will be in the 30 days of line 12 or not.

What is the best way to handle this?

broguns

Mar 10, 2013
    I would meet with your ffl and get msp licensing on the phone. Too late today but tomorrow should be fine 410-653-4500. Get someone from their to give you instruction on how to move forward and once they do get their name.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Possibly but it doesn't say that. When I buy a gun I Pay for it, get a receipt, and wait. I purchased it. If its not a purchase then what is it? When you sign that 77-r it in essence becomes a contract therefore nothing outside its four corners can be implied. If i was not to be approved then I would return it thus negateing the "purchase".

The Form 77r, which that question is from, is the application for purchase that is sent to the MSP. You have not "purchased" the firearm until you actually get approved for the purchase. The use of words in the application is ridiculous, along with in the law itself. It should be all based upon taking possession of the firearm.

I spoke to MSP about this earlier in the month and actually have a thread on here about it somewhere. Do a search for the thread.

I did the work for you. Here you go:

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=114703&highlight=day+period

Read through that and see if there is anything you do not understand.

Ultimately, apply for the Designated Collector approval ASAP. If you get that in 45 days, you can "purchase" all you want with plenty of time before October 1. Only limitation will be how much money/credit you have. About to open a 12 month interest free credit card if I have to, but I think I am finally at the point where I will have everything that I want for the next 20+ years, other than bolt guns and shotguns.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    If you guys are in the Mount Airy, western Howard County area, or do not mind driving to this area to do transfers, I have a pretty good FFL that I have been dealing with. Don't know if he has enough room in his safe for all these transfers, but PM me and I'll give you his name and contact information. He has been great to deal with on this subject. I'm reserving a spot in his safe for my stuff though. lol

l730dc

Mar 6, 2013
    Kent Island, MD
    Yeah, or the .22 pistol is not considered a regulated firearm under the current law OR your buddy has been approved as a Designated Collector.

Its a pistol.. (1911 .22) its regulated.. he had to wait around 70days for both... I told him he ****ed up but I guess they didnt catch it and he got lucky

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom