• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Scene from Platoon, Maryland Style:

"I can't even remember when I was Day 0, man. You gotta, like, count backwards or something. You know, like, you got 1 days in. I mean, think positive, dude."

images

"ALL I WANT IS MY AR!!"

Well played sir! 60 days and a wake up.

obiii

Jun 2, 2010
    Allegany County, MD
    I didn't read the whole thread, so I don't know if anyone posted anything like this. I purchased an AR-15 lower and it was delivered to my FFL on 20 Feb. I went in and filled out the paperwork on the 21st, and he sent it in that day. He gave me a call on the 19th of April that my paperwork was back "Not Disapproved", and went in and picked it up. One of the interesting things is that it was signed off on the 8th of April, so 11 days for snail mail from MSP to Hancock MD. Just ordered 2 more. :lol:

redduck21502

Oct 19, 2007
    Cumberland, MD
    I haven't read the whole thread yet, but according to state law, the dealer may release the gun after 7 days. I used to have an FFL that would release it after 7 days since the law said he could. If more dealers would release the firearms when the law says they can, I bet the MSP would work harder to get the paperwork done. As it stands, they know most dealers will wait so they are not in as much of a hurry to get the checks done. My concern with dealers waiting 60-90 days for paperwork to come back is for someone who may turn 21 in September, buys an AR-15, and then October 1 kicks in and he cannot receive his AR-15 (I'm pretty sure someone tried to get an amendment in to let those purchasers take possession but it got shut down by the slimy Democrats). I would hop that the closer we get to October 1, the dealers would start releasing weapons so that people can own them before October 1.

And someone said about a private purchase waiting for the MSP to complete the check, but I'm pretty sure that after 7 days of going to the barracks and filling out the paperwork, the private owner can also release the gun to the buyer. The seller maintains possession of the regulated firearm until after 7 days and he may give it to the purchaser at that point regardless of the background check. The private owner is not bound by the MSP firearms licensing system, so they cannot try to hold that over someone's head (like threatening to pull their state license if they don't make the purchasers wait).

I'm so glad that I've purchased all that I want for now and don't have any plans to buy anything at this point. I would be so irritated by waiting 3 months to pickup a gun because they cannot do the checks fast enough right now. I wish my FFL had done more business and didn't have to take on a regular job and quit selling; although in today's market, he probably would have been doing quite well, especially releasing firearms at the time allowed by law. Although i don't know if he did that for everyone, since I owned a few regulated firearms, he probably was betting I would be approved regardless. Although, at the time, they had delays one year of 3 weeks for some reason, and he just called after 7 days and they faxed it in. I think they were sitting on paperwork similar to the post above for the snail mail.

I guess the closer to Oct 1, everyone will need to go out of state and buy assault rifles that are not on the regulated list, like the SCAR or AR-10 (because some dealers in MD will sell them as regulated because the MSP says they are copies when they are not; but that's the whole state licensing threat at its best--you sell as regulated or we pull your licensing).

Loader

Jan 5, 2013
    At what point do vendors start having issues? I ask because you don't have to pay all of the money up front, so often times you pay some up front, and the rest when your paperwork clears. A 60-90 day wait means our gun store owners are having to sit on inventory for an extended period of time without full payment while paperwork is handled.

Yes, but it's more than that. They also have to provide storage for all the transfer firearms shipped in, taking up more safe space that should be used for store inventory that they could be selling. It is impacting already. One shop I use raised their fees for transfers as they are just out of storage space!

I've also heard that there are limitations by insurance as to how many firearms can be stored. Hit your limit, and you need some picked up before you can buy more inventory!

mbacko1

Mar 11, 2013
    Paperwork went in on 4/1, so I guess I will still be waiting a while. Gives me time to find 9mm ammo.

mward

Ultimate Member
    Dec 4, 2009
    Annapolis
    I haven't read the whole thread yet, but according to state law, the dealer may release the gun after 7 days. I used to have an FFL that would release it after 7 days since the law said he could. If more dealers would release the firearms when the law says they can, I bet the MSP would work harder to get the paperwork done. As it stands, they know most dealers will wait so they are not in as much of a hurry to get the checks done. My concern with dealers waiting 60-90 days for paperwork to come back is for someone who may turn 21 in September, buys an AR-15, and then October 1 kicks in and he cannot receive his AR-15 (I'm pretty sure someone tried to get an amendment in to let those purchasers take possession but it got shut down by the slimy Democrats). I would hop that the closer we get to October 1, the dealers would start releasing weapons so that people can own them before October 1.

And someone said about a private purchase waiting for the MSP to complete the check, but I'm pretty sure that after 7 days of going to the barracks and filling out the paperwork, the private owner can also release the gun to the buyer. The seller maintains possession of the regulated firearm until after 7 days and he may give it to the purchaser at that point regardless of the background check. The private owner is not bound by the MSP firearms licensing system, so they cannot try to hold that over someone's head (like threatening to pull their state license if they don't make the purchasers wait).

I'm so glad that I've purchased all that I want for now and don't have any plans to buy anything at this point. I would be so irritated by waiting 3 months to pickup a gun because they cannot do the checks fast enough right now. I wish my FFL had done more business and didn't have to take on a regular job and quit selling; although in today's market, he probably would have been doing quite well, especially releasing firearms at the time allowed by law. Although i don't know if he did that for everyone, since I owned a few regulated firearms, he probably was betting I would be approved regardless. Although, at the time, they had delays one year of 3 weeks for some reason, and he just called after 7 days and they faxed it in. I think they were sitting on paperwork similar to the post above for the snail mail.

I guess the closer to Oct 1, everyone will need to go out of state and buy assault rifles that are not on the regulated list, like the SCAR or AR-10 (because some dealers in MD will sell them as regulated because the MSP says they are copies when they are not; but that's the whole state licensing threat at its best--you sell as regulated or we pull your licensing).

AFAIK, and IANAL, but as long as you have purchased it before October, you are still allowed to take possession. However people have been debating this and brought up the Fed ban of '94...but simply stated, the lower is the firearm in the eyes of the law, and only registered/part with a serial #, so that's all that matters.

Wilkenms

Jan 30, 2013
    Submitted paperwork on 4/11. Return....when hell freezes over?

Yeah, my M&P 15T was delivered to my FFL 4/4 and paperwork filled out and faxed 4/5. I will be waiting a while. If I have it by the 4th of July I will be happy. A little "independence day" gift to myself!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom