• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    .270 all the way. I have killed deer with both the 06 and .270 and the .270 is my preference. 150 grain core lokts put some of the biggest holes in deer I have ever seen. I've got a pic of the buck I took yesterday if you want to see what I'm talking about. Also as far as ammo goes I don't think I have ever been in a store that sells ammo that had 06 and not .270, unless it was a store that only sold 06 military ammo (which wouldn't do you any good for hunting anyways). They are both a very common round.

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    I have both. I prefer the 270 for deer size stuff, as it shoots a little flatter and my 270 is very accurate. However, the 06 is more versitile because of the bigger selection of bullet weights..... up to 220gr, making it more suitable for game larger than deer. Both perform pretty equally, but I still match the gun to the game.

HollowPoint

Aged Member
    Sep 13, 2011
    Inside the Outside
    I have had 06 in the past. Currently have rem 700 in .270 and love it. Differences are negligible. Will probably never need to shoot anything bigger than a deer so bullet diff is null. Plenty of .270 ammo available so stock up.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    I have both, but the Garand is a little on the heavy side to carry around the deer woods.

Haven't started reloading just yet. Getting a kit for Christmas, if I had it already I would have taken my Garand in the woods this week. Due to brush and hills average shot where I am is prob 70-100 yards 200 at the longest no reason I couldn't use it. Plus I really want to hunt with it at least once!

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Haven't started reloading just yet. Getting a kit for Christmas, if I had it already I would have taken my Garand in the woods this week. Due to brush and hills average shot where I am is prob 70-100 yards 200 at the longest no reason I couldn't use it. Plus I really want to hunt with it at least once!

Be careful with your round choices in the Garand. Some factory '06 ammo can damage the rifle. I handload mine BTW, but stick to only the 150gr for it. Google for research, plenty is out there.

km04

Get crackin you muggs!!!!
    Jul 12, 2010
    Harford Co.
    Since you have both, just pick the one you are most accurate and comfortable with. Personally, I like my Remington model 700 mountain rifle in .270 with 130gr bullets but wouldn't hesitate to use my '06. The deer can't tell the difference.

This, with the sidenote that you give the other to me!:D:D:D:D

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    When you compare SD vs SD , instead of bullet wt per se , then .270 is back slightly ahead. .270 is still on the short list of widely available rounds .

Since you have both , whichever one you shoot better. Nothing you shoot with a properly constructed .277 of 130-150gr can tell the difference from an '06 of 150-180gr .

In Mil History WWII era ammo in '06 , 8x57 , 7.62x54R , 7.7Jap , .303 all round off to substantially identical. For that matter in first half of 20th cen the 7x57 and 7.65x(whatever) racked up substantial counts in conflicts mainly unnoticed in North America.

diesel-man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 8, 2009
    30-06... no greater versatility than this.

If you are going to have two "similar" calibers...(30-06 &.270) why not have something that is more than .030 difference in diameter? like a 25.06 that can double as a varmint gun? 25-06 is also a variant of 30-06.

Another option is a 35 Whelen (30-06 case bumped out to 35 caliber) Google it.
    I've seen .270 in many Walmarts ammo cases.

Every gun rag writer has a favorite caliber...no cartridge brings down deer like a 257 Roberts, .243 is the ultimate deer caliber, 338 Ultra Mag for caribou, etc. You gotta sell the sizzle to sell the steak.

:party29:

booker

Apr 5, 2008
    Baltimore
    ...kinda depends on what you're hunting, no?

And if you're going for a mount, or just the meat. If you're hunting for just the meat and have the marksmanship skills, then a headshot within 100 yards wouldn't be inhumane. Perhaps within 75 or 50 yards depending on the shooters' ability. Although some people poo-poo head shots entirely.

Thinking about it regarding target-size, I think a deer's brain (about normal man's fist size) is actually slightly larger than its heart (about the same as a human heart, cups in your palm). I've never seen a side-by-side comparison of the two organs. Considering a well-placed head-shot can be made from nearly any angle, whereas a heart or double-lung shot can only be made from limited angles, a head-shot may actually be more reliable. An argument could be made that the head is more likely to move, or be moving, while making the shot however, I would say that the selection of POI is the hunter's choice, based on conditions and skill level.

Further, if a hunter can't shoot consistent four-five shot groups to zero/sight-in, then they probably shouldn't be going for head shots, which is a cold-bore zero-practice shot, usually offhand or with a sling support, possibly at a poor angle after being in the cold for a few hours. Big difference compared to shooting from sandbags at a heated indoor range, or even outdoors at Elk Neck. Point is, it's the shooter not the gun, the round, or anything else, in the end.

There is also the blood loss vs. CNS trauma argument, and its effect on the meat quality. But again that comes down to the lethality of the shot (and the cleaning/dressing) more than anything, as far as I can determine.

Be careful with your round choices in the Garand. Some factory '06 ammo can damage the rifle. I handload mine BTW, but stick to only the 150gr for it. Google for research, plenty is out there.

Yes^3. I like the Federal American Eagle "M2" ammo, it even says "For the M1 Garand" on the box so there's no confusion! About $1/round, 150gr FMJ spitzer projectile, advertised Vo=2740fps, quality re-loadable brass and clean shooting. I get ~1.5-2 MOA out of my M1 with it depending on temperature and humidity. For me, that's deer-head effective out to 100yd.

Last edited:

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown

:D

Thanks why i said i didn't hunt with it. All i have is milsurp and i am a big person when it comes to humain kill and using the right tool for the job. I also know not to use commercial ammo (for the most part) as it is no good for the garand. Thanks for the reminder though.

Once my kit gets here i will roll a few of my one so if i want to hunt with it i can

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    :D

Thanks why i said i didn't hunt with it. All i have is milsurp and i am a big person when it comes to humain kill and using the right tool for the job. I also know not to use commercial ammo (for the most part) as it is no good for the garand. Thanks for the reminder though.

Once my kit gets here i will roll a few of my one so if i want to hunt with it i can

Shouldn't be any issue if you replace the FMJ with a nice hunting bullet and keep the loading the same.

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    I like the 270 I have. Been using it for ground hog hunting for years now. I get to shoot it many times throughout the year instead of the one or two shots during deer season. I believe using it during the summer firing a box or two in a "real hunting" situation, has made me a better shot with it and reduced my flinching/shot anticipation.

Before anyone says 270 is overkill on groundhogs, I know it is. I try for headshots only and some of the distances are 100s of yards. Makes for a challenging hunt.

diesel-man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 8, 2009
    I like the 270 I have. Been using it for ground hog hunting for years now. I get to shoot it many times throughout the year instead of the one or two shots during deer season. I believe using it during the summer firing a box or two in a "real hunting" situation, has made me a better shot with it and reduced my flinching/shot anticipation.

Before anyone says 270 is overkill on groundhogs, I know it is. I try for headshots only and some of the distances are 100s of yards. Makes for a challenging hunt.

It makes a lot more sense than killing paper. My hat is off to you Sir!

Carry on! :party29:

Attachments

• groundhog.jpg
      groundhog.jpg
      69.3 KB · Views: 113

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    A 270 really is no flatter then an 06 with bullets of equal weight. In fact the 06 is slightly flatter. If you are compairing bullets of different weights - of course the trajectory is going to be different.

Well, yeah it is, a bit, especially at longer distances of say 300 yards or so. A 270/150gr SBT has a BC of 483, while an 06/150gr SBT has a BC of 380. Of course, this doesn't mean much shooting deer in Md/Va/Pa at 100 yards, but shooting Antelope in Wyoming at 300+, then the advantage goes to the higher BC.

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    I love the .270. I got mine 14 years ago and the first one to shoot it at my hunting camp which was mainly 06 shooters. Now more then half of us are shooting the .270. I think the main part of that is because the older guy favor the 06 and as time goes on we are losing them and the newer generation is leaning towards the .270. Nothing wrong with either one, they both work great on deer. In fact a friend of mine took a bear with a .270 in jersey last years. And Some of the famous gun writers of the 20th Century like Townsend Whelen, Jack and Eleanor O'Connor, Warren Page and many others were regularly and reliably taking elk, moose, and all manner of African plains game with .270. So its your choice

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    I love the .270. I got mine 14 years ago and the first one to shoot it at my hunting camp which was mainly 06 shooters. Now more then half of us are shooting the .270. I think the main part of that is because the older guy favor the 06 and as time goes on we are losing them and the newer generation is leaning towards the .270. Nothing wrong with either one, they both work great on deer. In fact a friend of mine took a bear with a .270 in jersey last years. And Some of the famous gun writers of the 20th Century like Townsend Whelen, Jack and Eleanor O'Connor, Warren Page and many others were regularly and reliably taking elk, moose, and all manner of African plains game with .270. So its your choice

Only shotguns (20ga - 10ga) and muzzleloaders (.44 and larger) are allowed for bears in Jersey.

While O'Connor made the .270 famous, his wife mostly shot a .257 Roberts. Whelen was a 30-06 wildcatter and though he shot a .270 a little, he mostly tinkered with the 06 case while developing the .35 Whelen and other such cartridges. Page was the father of many 7mm cartridges. The .270 was used to shoot a lot of stuff, including Elk and some African plains game, but most of those older writers shot guns like the .375H&H for larger plains game. When it comes to animals like Elk & Moose & larger African plains game, there are much much better choices than either the .270 or 30-06.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JBIRD EST.1984

Latest threads

Top Bottom