• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • punisher12b

Feb 4, 2013
    Montgomery County
    I will leave the shops names out of this.. i bring it up cause this is the 3rd answer and my first business dealings with them

Shop A. buy a gun on tuesday pick up following weds... 7 days 8 day release..

Shop B. buy a gun on tuesday pick up following thursday Sunday doesnt count

shop C.. Buy a gun on tuesday .. pick it up next tuesday..

C is the recent experince
    NORMALY A. is what i deal with
    B is one shop i know of

Can I pick it up tomorrow as I was up there and did paperwork last tuesday.

JettaRed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Middletown
    Well, seven days was supposed to be a cooling off period. However a lot of gun shops don't understand this. Seven days is seven days but the Maryland police don't clarify what they mean by seven days. Is that seven calendar days or seven business days? Gun shops I have used counted as seven calendar days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    It was not supposed to be a cooling off period. It was supposed to allow time for the paperwork to be snail-mailed to Pikesville, processed, then snail-mailed back.

The mail coaches were often delayed by washed-out trails and threats from Indian raiding parties, so the delay is understandable.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    7 days is 7 days, not 7 business days or 7 days discounting holidays (seriously, does anyone else besides gov take off Columbus day)?

That said, each shop has their policy and I give my money to those whom I agree with.

punisher12b

Feb 4, 2013
    Montgomery County
    well it was a used gun I happened upon . and I was looking into for considering IDPA.. so.. I couldnt pass on the price.

MP Pro
    and I got more than I expected for a PX4 I had that I never shot..

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    well it was a used gun I happened upon . and I was looking into for considering IDPA.. so.. I couldnt pass on the price.

MP Pro
    and I got more than I expected for a PX4 I had that I never shot..

If the deal is that good... Suck it up and wait the extra day because it is up to the GS as to how they interpret and apply policy.

Then start shopping at a GS that serves your needs better.

But the waiting period is legally seven calendar days...

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Well, seven days was supposed to be a cooling off period. However a lot of gun shops don't understand this. Seven days is seven days but the Maryland police don't clarify what they mean by seven days. Is that seven calendar days or seven business days? Gun shops I have used counted as seven calendar days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's not a cooling off period. it's the time that was required for dealers to mail 77r apps to msp, for msp to do the check, and for msp to mail the apps back to dealers, when the law was written in the 1990s, before the msp began using fax machines.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    here is the instructions on the back of the 77r.

Attachments

• 77r 7 day wait.jpg
      77r 7 day wait.jpg
      21.2 KB · Views: 330

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    and fax machines are so 20th century.

MSP has been saying for a long time the 77r process is being computerized and will have electronic submission.

yeah right.

punisher12b

Feb 4, 2013
    Montgomery County
    funny enough.. this shop was the tues to tues.. i was just covering my tail..
    yeah i remember 2013 thank god for early release. and being a regular at a single shop

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Did you have to bring up bad memories! :)

But you are right on the money my friend. Things could definitely be worse!

Cal68

And the Left is floating the idea of "Universal Background Checks" should take as long as need be. If it takes five months so be it.

That policy would set the stage for a work stoppage, work slowdown, or extended vacations.

And delays due to carpal tunnel time off. Then the CDC can do a study verifying that processing background checks causes carpal tunnel syndrome.

Butcher

May 3, 2005
    Owings Mills
    I'll name names. Cop shop in Baltimore city says seven business days not counting weekends and holidays. Then they say they are required by law to sell you a omega lock. Then they'll lose your gun / pre order, and make you wait some more.

Ah I feel much better

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    IIRC the statute says a lock must be with the handgun when it's transferred. No mention of who must provide it. IIRC the statute says has to have the lock.. No mention of the lock having to be IN the gun.

As I posted the back of the 77R says 7 days, not counting Sundays or Holidays. No mention of business days.

I guess you can draw your own conclusions about their knowledge.

MD 5-132 attached.

Attachments

• 77r 7 day wait.jpg
      77r 7 day wait.jpg
      21.2 KB · Views: 182
    • 5-132.jpg
      5-132.jpg
      23.3 KB · Views: 180

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    IIRC the statute says a lock must be with the handgun when it's transferred. No mention of who must provide it. IIRC the statute says WITH the gun. No mention of the lock having to be IN the gun.

As I posted the back of the 77R says 7 days, not counting Sundays or Holidays. No mention of business days.

I guess you can draw your own conclusions about their knowledge.

It also qualifies it thusly...
    IF... "the seventh day falls on a Sunday or Holiday"... then it matters. If you don't wish to wait eight days... Then don't buy guns on Monday. :shrug:

Sunday does count as one of the seven days so long as it is not the seventh day. I know, it is convoluted malarkey... But it is the way they wrote the law. IANAL

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    thank you for clarifying RD.

The business days thing is the main thing I was pointing out. There is no mention of business days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom