• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TROOPER

Ultimate Member
    May 22, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Hey Guys,

Anywhere in MD for 3 Gun/Run-&-Gun Training, aside from a static range?

I imagine there has to be somewhere to do training for those people that do 3-gun.

Parking my butt on a bench at Hap Baker, won't develop the right skills.

RobMoore

The Mad Scientist
    Feb 10, 2007
    QA
    Hap Baker will suffice for the "putting holes in paper" part. Your backyard will suffice for every other skill needed.

If you have the ability to "call your shot" dry fire is invaluable. You can practice every position imaginable, along with running to them, reloads, etc.

TROOPER

Ultimate Member
    May 22, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    I think most people go to PA for ranges that support the sport. Which is one reason I haven't tried it.

Shame, I'd like to give it a shot... Geez I hate MD, LOL

Hap Baker will suffice for the "putting holes in paper" part. Your backyard will suffice for every other skill needed.

If you have the ability to "call your shot" dry fire is invaluable. You can practice every position imaginable, along with running to them, reloads, etc.

Sad to say I'm in an apartment (so no yard), but great idea though.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    You can run drills in your house.

My wife was laughing at me last year when I was prepping for the mayberry carbine- during family tv time I spen every commercial break in the living room practicing reloading drills with my m1a and my south african chest rig.

The big step for range work requires a range where you can shoot from positions.

Get your zeros (holdovers) for your short range shots (10' out to 100yards with 4" targets), then practice your 100, 200, 300 yard shots and you should have the basics.

Keep good data.

Have a ballistic chart for your ammo.

Keep good data.

That's your carbine.

For pistol I shot 3x5 cards starting at 7 yards and moved out 3 yards every time I put three in the card. First miss drop back three and try again.

Pistol takes a lot more drill and practice than rifle.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    haven't found a place to practice shooting on the move, so i just try to attend as many competitions as possible and consider them all training for future competitions.

i believe peacemaker range in wv had a class a while back, intro to 3 gun or something like that.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    All skills you need can be practiced at home.

Fast pistol mag changes are a big one, but the best exercise you can do at home to decrease your times in 3 gun is shotgun reloading. take the cap, spring, and follower out of your shotgun, and practice reloading over and over, until its as natural as walking. Shotgun reloading is, by far, the biggest time sucker in 3 gun.

When I switched from a pump to a semi, changed my reloading system (bag to caddies), and started practicing the reload, I literally cut my time by 20%, overnight.

TROOPER

Ultimate Member
    May 22, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    All skills you need can be practiced at home.

Fast pistol mag changes are a big one, but the best exercise you can do at home to decrease your times in 3 gun is shotgun reloading. take the cap, spring, and follower out of your shotgun, and practice reloading over and over, until its as natural as walking. Shotgun reloading is, by far, the biggest time sucker in 3 gun.

Well i still need to get myself a shotgun, but that's good advice.

I've certainly served my time in the military, so I was used to handling weapons on the move, but it's been a few years since then LOL.

Just some "live" practice would be nice, as it's a different ball game once the pulse is racing and breathing is irratic etc etc, than just sitting at a bench.

So while I may not get into 3-gun anytime soon, I'd still like to re-sharpen my skills.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Do any of the steel challenge matches in PA let you run rifles and/or shotguns? The one near Richmond does. That would give you some move and shoot practice without worrying about dealing with multiple firearms on the same course of fire.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Hey Guys,

Anywhere in MD for 3 Gun/Run-&-Gun Training, aside from a static range?

I imagine there has to be somewhere to do training for those people that do 3-gun.

Parking my butt on a bench at Hap Baker, won't develop the right skills.

Im about to ramp up my 3gun training for next season since the baby will be older and I can make more matches. Ill let you know when we start doing live fire stuff but for now start spending a few hours a week speed loading a shotgun from belt holders and fast mag changing your pistol. Also work on your draw and getting on target quick with your pistol from the holster. The rifle stuff is cake and I can get you up to speed quick with that if you are a decent shooter with good trigger control. Ranges to practice are limited but I can get us some time at places where we can do live fire work.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Im about to ramp up my 3gun training for next season since the baby will be older and I can make more matches. Ill let you know when we start doing live fire stuff but for now start spending a few hours a week speed loading a shotgun from belt holders and fast mag changing your pistol. Also work on your draw and getting on target quick with your pistol from the holster. The rifle stuff is cake and I can get you up to speed quick with that if you are a decent shooter with good trigger control. Ranges to practice are limited but I can get us some time at places where we can do live fire work.

If you're looking for company, I'd be in for this. :D

TROOPER

Ultimate Member
    May 22, 2011
    Raleigh, NC

You da man.

Yeah, Continental doesn't like the use of holsters, although I can practice the draw with snap caps.

Magazine changes I can do at Haps, or any range for that matter.
    It's been more recreational for the most part, but I should practice the other skills outside of just working on my grouping LOL.

So I can work on live mag changes real easy actually.

And I'll pickup a new shotgun if I ever manage to sell my Gaming PC.

Still limited on space around the apartment to run around with a rifle and chest rig.
    It's just strange that every time I do that, the girlfriend keeps asking me why I have to do it in a thong :innocent0

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    No chest rig. You need a competition belt with a good holster and mag/ammo holders if you really want to shoot 3gun.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    great idea!

I've done that several times but with the tube under tension, and it's a pain to unload each time...

It's more for the motion. It's not *quite* right because there's no follower or spring tension, but it's good for getting the muscle memory down. I'll do it while watching TV to get used to reloading without looking; that way you can reload while you're looking at the course to plan you next shots instead of looking at your belt or gun.

ETA:

Here's a good video on weak hand reloading technique:

[YT]I1TTr25YYuw[/YT]

herr.baer

Maryland Escapee
    Dec 27, 2007
    Tennessee
    It's more for the motion. It's not *quite* right because there's no follower or spring tension, but it's good for getting the muscle memory down. I'll do it while watching TV to get used to reloading without looking; that way you can reload while you're looking at the course to plan you next shots instead of looking at your belt or gun.

When you practice, do you keep your shotgun shouldered and load weak hand or bring it down, roll it and load strong hand?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom