• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

RCH

Will work for ammo.
    Mar 18, 2007
    PG County
    This situation is unfortunate, but before I jump on the Boycott wagon, I would see what Mark's position on the matter is first.

Both businesses have given us great service, and I suspect that the current buying panic tsunami in Maryland is causing a lot of headache for gun shop owners.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I don't know why any gun shop would do a transfer without a big fee. Receive a firearm, verify serial #, securely store the firearm for 30+ days, and process the paperwork. It seems like a lot of work with little return.

earthwayjk

Dec 2, 2012
    SoHoCo
    I don't know why any gun shop would do a transfer without a big fee. Receive a firearm, verify serial #, securely store the firearm for 30+ days, and process the paperwork. It seems like a lot of work with little return.

pbharvey: I agree - seems like a lot of work, storage, and phone calls asking if the paperwork is back from MSP. Just imagine 50 transfers (probably a lot more) sitting 30-45 days for paperwork to be returned, and then having to track someone down to come pick their transfer up. Just the space it takes to hold them securely has to be a pain.
    Not to apologize for 2A not explaining their position, I think we should cut them (and all dealers) some slack during this crazy time in the Obama-nation.
    Just my opinion - and I'm not a customer of 2A, but I have been in their cubby-hole sized store. ;)

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    Anyone can go on gunbroker, search by zip and find a list of FFL's who only do transfers and work with them so its not like 2A is going to get any business from this decision, its actually going to piss more people off...

Joebob always looks out for MDSers, offering deals on quality items before the go on sale to the general public.

webb297

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2010
    Bowie
    2A does charge $55 for a transfer (MDS rate). Their previous stance (per my understanding) has been that they will transfer anything they can not source themselves in a similar time frame, and not from Buds. I have never had anything but good experiences with 2A Sales. I also await what Mark has to say.

jhartmac

Jan 7, 2007
    Virginia/maryland
    I had a similar issue about a year ago, in fact I posted my experience and got bashed by others, but the basics are I wanted to xfer a FNP Tactical and called them, the guy told me well if I have it in stock then I will not xfer something in. I said ok how much is yours? The deal I got was for $850.00 his was like $1100.00. I said well don't you charge for the xfer? doesn't it help your books as far as sales? Needless to say I didn't deal with them. I thought it was shitty.........I do support my local dealers but wow..........

babalooie21204

Aug 13, 2012
    Columbia
    Looks like 2a doesn't need my sales. Heck everytime i do a transfer I end up buying stuff there..... I can vouch that Thunderstick enterprises out of PA does a BANG up job- give them a call and they basically match everyones price around here... (Yes gun goes to PA then they send it to their guy in MD). I currently have an AR on hold with them now :)

Sad day 2A

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    Yea I would like to hear 2A's side of the story too. A few points-

-Does 2A sell lowers? There are a few gun stores that I know of that will not transfer a firearm that they can get. Like I said, I have seen three gun stores like that, so it must be common practice

-If 2A does not sell lowers, they are basically saying "We don't sell that, but instead of transferring it for you, go somewhere else." Huh? I don't really get it.

silverwolf

Feb 14, 2011
    This just confirms my opinion of 2A. Definitely won't be buying anything there from now on.

tomgreco

Ammo addict
    Sep 17, 2009
    Indian Head, MD
    Yea I would like to hear 2A's side of the story too. A few points-

-Does 2A sell lowers? There are a few gun stores that I know of that will not transfer a firearm that they can get. Like I said, I have seen three gun stores like that, so it must be common practice

-If 2A does not sell lowers, they are basically saying "We don't sell that, but instead of transferring it for you, go somewhere else." Huh? I don't really get it.

They have sold lowers in the past. Don't know about now. That said, Tom has always been great to work with. Over a year ago Mark gave me a great deal on a SDN-6. Then things went south when I was pricing a Spectre II. Now I use keepshooting for all my transfers.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    I posted earlier that I was really impressed with JBO. Still feel that way, and I am not knocking (you guys) or the 2A business.... I have not done business with them ....

Someone had mentioned that it drives foot traffic. That's great if that also drives sales. JBO offers free shipping over $90. (:thumbsup:) What if people were like, OK Ill get this gun, oh and a hand guard, a new grip, etc and shipping it with the order?

It would be kind of insensitive especially if the transferring agent was also in that business..... Some people don't think about things like that.

Anyway just proposing what else might be happening. Continue conversation.... :)

HarCo2ANewb

Subibro
    Mar 24, 2011
    Elkridge
    I posted earlier that I was really impressed with JBO. Still feel that way, and I am not knocking (you guys) or the 2A business.... I have not done business with them ....

Someone had mentioned that it drives foot traffic. That's great if that also drives sales. JBO offers free shipping over $90. (:thumbsup:) What if people were like, OK Ill get this gun, oh and a hand guard, a new grip, etc and shipping it with the order?

It would be kind of insensitive especially if the transferring agent was also in that business..... Some people don't think about things like that.

Anyway just proposing what else might be happening. Continue conversation.... :)

Those should ship to the purchasers house, not the FFL

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    I've said it before and I'll say it again..."JOBOB ROCKS!"

I know nothing of 2A. I have been an FFL in the past. I understand the transfer fee issue. I support it. I know a couple shops who ALSO CHARGE MD SALES TAX ON TRANSFERS. that is stone cold BS. I'm certain that goes in their pocket. Wonder how they book it???

Bottom line is these are some tough times and uncharted waters for us as gun owners and consumers. Similarly, folks in industry are in a place they've never been before with supply, demand and pricing.

My take-- cooperate and graduate. Do and decide based on what creates options and builds relationships. KARMA WILL BE A BITCH IF YOU ENCOURAGE HER TO. you have a choice...choose wisely.

Shoot straight.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    First of all, I love Internet drama, so this thread is like a delicious cupcake for me.

Second, as someone else here put it, IPs snubbing other IPs isn't cool.

Third, I understand a no-transfer policy when you can get the new gun yourself in a speedy fashion. But, to be blunt, I would be a teensy bit surprised if most IPs could reliably pull this off for anything but bolt guns and maybe some 1911s.

Fourth, we are facing a potential AWB in MD. I get that some dealers are now a little concerned for their long-term well-being, and may be adopting policies to maximize current profits. But I also think they should be taking one for the team and being a little more flexible about transfers.

Fifth, I love Internet drama. Wait, that was (1). Where's my cupcake?

drking2

Ultimate Member
    Nov 29, 2008
    Carroll County
    JoeBob, congrats on becoming a internet clearinghouse...perhaps next, dare I say...multi national conglomerate?

JoeBob has always treated me great, 2a has done good by me too. Signs of the times I guess, the time when we all should be sticking together, things like this happen. I use Neil as NSK for most of my transfers, he is great, not an ip yet, but I will work on that. Just ship to the stand up guys that will take the transfers.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom