• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    I'm not a ballistics guy. The Navy gave me ammo and I shot it. End of story. Now, in my private life I enjoy learning about this stuff.

The new Sig Army Service Rifle is supposed to be this major game changer. When I compare it to 7.62x51 and .30-06, the chamber pressure is much, much higher. I see that the case is 3 pieces, with a steel section to handle the higher pressures. In other respects, it seems similar to 7.62x51 and .30-06, depending on what grain bullet is used, etc. I'm betting these 3-piece cases can't be easily reloaded, if at all. (just thinking of civilian applications)

Is this cartridge as scary as Sig and the Army are hyping it up to be or do you think it's a gov't boondoggle? I'm really asking more about the cartridge than the rifle. I know the rifle has been discussed ad nauseam.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    They wanted something supersonic much further than the 7.62 and able to defeat what are basically Level IV plates at closer ranges with tungsten carbide core loadings. The contractors came up with just that.

The two piece cases can probably be reloaded using roller sizers or maybe collets.

The Army also adopted a conventional brass cased loading with lower chamber pressures for training and where enemies aren’t expected to use body armor.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    They wanted something supersonic much further than the 7.62 and able to defeat what are basically Level IV plates at closer ranges with tungsten carbide core loadings. The contractors came up with just that.
    Oh, I didn't know about the tungsten core. Yeah, that is pretty scary.

My understanding is that the cartridge was developed to defeat Russian body armor. But...does Russia even bother equipping many of their troops with body armor? They treat their soldiers like pure fodder. They barely equip or train them at all, let alone give them bouji equipment. Was this a solution in search of a problem?

Also, is this ammo commonly available to civilians yet? It sure AF should be.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Oh, I didn't know about the tungsten core. Yeah, that is pretty scary.

My understanding is that the cartridge was developed to defeat Russian body armor. But...does Russia even bother equipping many of their troops with body armor? They treat their soldiers like pure fodder. They barely equip or train them at all, let alone give them bouji equipment. Was this a solution in search of a problem?

Also, is this ammo commonly available to civilians yet? It sure AF should be.
    Russia may not field it for everyone, but they have it. The Chinese also started procuring armor in 2020.

Anyone with internet can get Chinese “Level IV” for as little as $100 plate. It may not be NIJ rated or held to the same QC as western armor, but it does a decent job stopping 5.56. The western armor supplied to Ukraine is probably not all ending up where it’s intended to either.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I have read the 277 fury for civilian use will be all brass cases and a lower psi rating. I think taking a 308 case and necking it down to 277 made is a hot rod. The steel 2 piece back end cases might just be military issue only, but I have no idea, but we know they do not reload. So they are probably scrap.

There is videos of the corruption failures with Russian body and tank armor being way less than acceptable.

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    The cases have popped up on the reloading circuits

I haven’t seen any 277 or 308 tungsten projectiles on the aftermarket, I think so much FUD is out there about their legality. I have seen the EBC steel projectiles (.223/.308) being sold though.

Sirex