.260 Remington (bolt-action), tips/advice?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fnfalsar48

Feb 27, 2011
    Virginia
    I just picked up my .260 Thursday. Starting to work up a load, I'll let you know what I settle on. I have a little bit of a delay because my rings were to high and had to purchase shorter ones.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Meh, I was planning on upgrading it anyways. This just advances the timetable some. :)

Last time out with the chrony I was in the 2940-2960 range, this time out I was lucky if I was cracking 2900. I'm thinking the chrony was reading slow. A 26" barrel should be getting more than that at 39.8gr of Varget under a 120gr BTHP.

I don't know...

Broncolou

Jan 22, 2013
    Parkton MD
    Meh, I was planning on upgrading it anyways. This just advances the timetable some. :)

Last time out with the chrony I was in the 2940-2960 range, this time out I was lucky if I was cracking 2900. I'm thinking the chrony was reading slow. A 26" barrel should be getting more than that at 39.8gr of Varget under a 120gr BTHP.

I don't know...

Any chance you had complete use of powder charge and no more pressure available? How did the 39.8 charge compare to your last charge? Any other variables? 40-60 fps is a metric crap ton if there was no significant changes in load/primer combo, especially with a powder like varget.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Primers and brass looked great, no signs of excessive pressure. Every charge was weighed out while loading, the lightest charge MAY have been 39.7gr.

Had 1 Cor-Bon 123gr round that clocked 3017 - that primer had flattened out entirely. The only round that did show pressure signs.

I think the chrony may have been reading slow somehow - not quite sure how it would, maybe I was shooting too high over the electronic eyes?

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Savage 10FP short-action.

Converted it from a 24" .223, blind magazine. To a 26" .260 with bottom metal (detachable mags).

Shilen stainless 1:8 26" barrel.

Curious how this is done as I'm thinking of doing the same. I have a .308 short action, blind mag and 22" barrel. Did you do the work yourself or have it done?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Curious how this is done as I'm thinking of doing the same. I have a .308 short action, blind mag and 22" barrel. Did you do the work yourself or have it done?

Aside from the very first stock, that I had help with milling it out for the bottom-metal, all the work has been done at home by my own hands.

Changing the caliber is easy, with the right tools. Action wrench, barrel nut wrench, bench vise, good sized rubber mallet - is pretty much all you need to get the factory barrel out. Replacement barrel and headspace gauges (and replacement bolt head, I'm my case), and you can get the new barrel in at home.

I've gone thru 2 stocks so far trying to get the bottom-metal just perfect. The B&C A5 it's currently in is stock #3. The 2nd stock (Choate), that has an Atlasworxs bottom-metal setup in it. It feeds beautifully, but the empty mag doesn't drop free - annoying. That could be from the coating on the bottom-metal being thick, or more likely my fault due to installation/slight misalignment.

Seeing firsthand how crucial the perfect installation is on bottom-metal (feeding effort, magazine fitment, etc.). I'll send the A5 down to Jeff at CDi Precision for their bottom-metal and install. I could do it, but I want it to be as close to perfect as possible.

**Surely someone will say "For the money and effort you have in on that Savage, you could've bought a much nicer rifle." And that is true. For me though it wasn't about the money, it was a challenge - to see if I could do it, and if I would be happy with the end result. Looking at some of my targets with this setup, I'm pleased. :)

justeric

Apr 6, 2010
    Hey Brad,

You need to shoot that gun at PNTC in one of their long range challenges. The last one I went to had 20 steel targets were set up between 500 and 1100 yards. You get 3 shots at each before you have to move on. You also get spotters to help you walk your rounds in. I'm sure that .260 will do great. I have been doing well with my Savage 10 FCP K that I converted to a 6.5 Creedmoor. Still using the AccuStock. When I get some more money I'd like to switch the stock to a Manners but I'm too poor now. Good luck shooting that .260!

Eric

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    One day, I'll make it out there and try to stretch it's legs some.

For now I'll continue to work on my short game and build my confidence some - once I replace the broken scope. Real challenge to shoot the rifle with no optic. :)

Broncolou

Jan 22, 2013
    Parkton MD
    One day, I'll make it out there and try to stretch it's legs some.

For now I'll continue to work on my short game and build my confidence some - once I replace the broken scope. Real challenge to shoot the rifle with no optic. :)

The SWFA 10x42 can get you back in the game for $300 untill you get cash for something real nice, plus it's nice enough to keep around for ammo testing on guns you don't put good glass on..... I keep trying to find a reason not to buy one....everything else I want is $2k+ :-(

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Came across a good deal on a new in box Vortex Viper HS 6-24x50mm, so I pulled the trigger (so to speak) on it. Should be here tomorrow.

It doesn't have the reticle and the adjustments I'd prefer, but it'll get me back to shooting. I can always sell it off later and put the proceeds to upgrading again.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Came across a good deal on a new in box Vortex Viper HS 6-24x50mm, so I pulled the trigger (so to speak) on it. Should be here tomorrow.

It doesn't have the reticle and the adjustments I'd prefer, but it'll get me back to shooting. I can always sell it off later and put the proceeds to upgrading again.

Where did you find the sale?

Broncolou

Jan 22, 2013
    Parkton MD
    I was at the Outdoor Show in Harrisburg yesterday. Kenzie's was blowing out Vortex 4-16 FFP for $770ish. I almost bit on it. Not what I want in the end. I have a SWFA 10 on BO for now. The viper was tempting for the price and being FFP. I looked through a Martch FFP 3-25?, it was incredible and my favorite reticle if all I've looked through. I'm nowhere near ready to spend that kind of money yet. The US optics had incredible glass too but the reticles were very bold and more tactical oriented than I like. Did I mention the March reticle was AWESOME :-)

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      62.3 KB · Views: 149
    Last edited:

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Where did you find the sale?

SWFA.com, they're not going to carry this particular model any longer so they knocked the price down a couple hundred to clear out their inventory of them.

That's what I liked about the Falcon Menace, the stadia lines on the reticle were very fine, so at max magnification they didn't cover much - but at low power on a dark target you'd start to 'lose' the reticle.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Have some 120gr and 123gr Hornady A-max to try, not much more $$ than the Prvi 120gr BTHP were, we'll see if the rifle likes them.

ETA: Don't like the 120gr Amax, like the 123gr Amax though. Anyone need almost 200 120gr Amaxs??

Last edited:

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    SWFA.com, they're not going to carry this particular model any longer so they knocked the price down a couple hundred to clear out their inventory of them.

That's what I liked about the Falcon Menace, the stadia lines on the reticle were very fine, so at max magnification they didn't cover much - but at low power on a dark target you'd start to 'lose' the reticle.

Does Vortex have a service where you can send in a scope and have the reticle changed like Leupold does? Just read their warranty, can't beat it. Nice scope, may have to go for one even though I'd like some kind of lined reticle, but it will get me the magnification I want. Thanks
    Who makes the Falcon Menace?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Does Vortex have a service where you can send in a scope and have the reticle changed like Leupold does? Just read their warranty, can't beat it. Nice scope, may have to go for one even though I'd like some kind of lined reticle, but it will get me the magnification I want. Thanks
    Who makes the Falcon Menace?

I don't know if Vortex has that option, but it'd be the cherry on top if they did. The VIP warranty definitely sold me.

Falcon is the company name, Menace is the model name. Falcon's relatively unknown here in the US, but in the UK they have the name recognition and a following. It wasn't a bad (or perfect) optic, it just wasn't able to take the rifle landing on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom