• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ih23

Dec 13, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I will be getting a Remington 870 Express soon, and do not know whether to get a 26 or 28 inch barrel? I will be using the shotgun for trap shooting and deer hunting. Does anyone have any details or recommendations? Is there a difference or preference for what I will be using it for?

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Buy extra barrels. I have a Mossberg 500 that I have 2 barrels for. I have a 28" for skeet/trap and I have a 18.5 for home defense.

Find a deal on a gun, and then pick up the barrels as you see fit.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    Buy extra barrels. I have a Mossberg 500 that I have 2 barrels for. I have a 28" for skeet/trap and I have a 18.5 for home defense.

Find a deal on a gun, and then pick up the barrels as you see fit.

+1 I concur.

If you can get an Express Magnum so you cna use 3" shells. i'd get the 28" with interchangable chokes for Trap and skeet. that's what I have for my 28" bbl

btw...i'm selling one of my Express Magnums w/ 28" bbl and I included a skeet choke

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    The 28" barrel with a selection of chokes will be perfect for trap and geese. A 22" barrel with a selection of chokes will be better for skeet or closer faster shooting and the matching mag extension will give you 10rnds. For deer the rifled slug barrel either with scope or open sights will do anything most anybody could do with a rifle.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Personally I prefer to have two guns for these intentions. I keep one gun for trap and skeet for shot shells and another gun for scope and slugs for deer. I have an 870 Express and I'm not so sure I would personally consider it a multi-purpose gun unless I had a rifled slug barrel as well. However, if I had to buy one gun, I would get the 28" barrel and make it useful for deer, clays, birds, and waterfowl as well.

ih23

Dec 13, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Thanks everyone, very helpful. I'll be getting the 870 express 28 inch barrel. I'll be using it for trap shooting for now, and I'll see if I can get a rifled slug barrel before hunting season starts. Cant' wait to go trap shooting. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom