• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 13mogul

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2009
    Looking but not finding.
    Does ANYONE even stock this stuff anymore?
    Any pointers for cheap bulk HP would be greatly appreciated.
    And I don't do business with the Peoples Republic of Walmart.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I thought I saw some at Bass Pro the last time I was there, but that was a while ago. If you don't mind the drive to York, PA, Gander Mountain had all the handgun ammo anyone could want. 2 box maximum though

Cochise

Ultimate Member
    Sep 5, 2008
    Rockville
    I actually load for 25 acp. Its easy, doesnt use much powder but sometimes it feels like my fingers are too big.
    I probably have some extra store bought around if it helps, I am in Rockville. It would all be FMJ.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Bass pro, thought I saw some at one of the walmarts.

I have never shot one, probably will this weekend as I think my father bought one of the Taurus guns in this caliber.

gunconnection

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2008
    Looking but not finding.
    Does ANYONE even stock this stuff anymore?
    Any pointers for cheap bulk HP would be greatly appreciated.
    And I don't do business with the Peoples Republic of Walmart.

I have 25acp ammo in stock.
    PMC 25acp---50rd/box---$22.00/box

Speer Gold Dot---25acp---25rd/box---$20.00/box

X-Factor

I don't say please
    Jun 2, 2009
    Calvert County
    Tackle Box down in St Mary's County (Lexington Park) has a few boxes of .25. Didn't see the price or grain count. Just noticed. However, get it from Gun Connection instead. Tackle Box robs as many people as rob it.

a81lp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 15, 2008
    abingdon wal mart had atleast 2 boxes tonight. sorry didnt see a price, but they shuffle the ammo around so much none of the stickers are accurate anyway.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I'm curious as to why you were looking for HP ammo for it, I take it this pistol is to be used for defense or backup.

There are not many companies that make HP ammo for 25acp, and it is hard to find. I only know of Gold dots Win super-X, and XTPs. Problem is the caliber more often than not won't penetrate sufficiently in FMJ form, and is slow enough out of a belly gun that HPs probably won't expand anyway, but if by chance one does, it probably won't penetrate more than a couple inches, and it's chances of stopping a threat are slim to none. FMJ is cheaper, some guns won't feed HP ammo reliably, and in this particular case FMJ outperforms expanding ammo anyway.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    never understood this caliber?

Quite simply recoil operated pistols must have slide weight and spring tension in preportion to the cartridge fired, meaning that the bigger the cartridge, the heavier the slide has to be in order to extract the fired case reliably, and delay it enough that the case is not broken or damages as it is extracted. Tuning with spring pressure can help, a heavier spring can slow an action down, but it is secondary to the mass of the slide, and you normally have to increse the spring weight to the point the pistol is hard to cock in order to shave even a small amount of weight from the slide. For this reason, before modern compact locking breech pistols came about, if you wanted a pistol to be very small, it had to fire a low powered and appropriately small cartridge, the 25ACP being about the smallest in common use outside of the 22. The 25ACP has similar ballistics to the 22 out of these very small guns with miniscule barrels, but is made more reliable from centerfire priming, and with a larger diameter jacketed bullet not feasable in a 22LR with it's heeled bullet. Being an "Autmatic Colt Pistol" cartridge, like 380ACP, and 45ACP it was originally chambered in a Colt pistol, in the case of the 25ACP, the 1908 colt vest model, in it's day about the smallest and lightest practical pistol that could be had. Most modern 25s follow the same formula, low power, small size and light slide that could not be readily adapted to shoot a more powerful cartridge without more weight, larger size, and/or the use of a locking breech.

colt_vest_pocket%20005.JPG

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    I shot a 25ACP a few weeks ago for the first time. It was fun, but no more so than shooting a 22lr.

The best way I can recall the recoil?

It reminds me of getting slapped lightly on the palm of my hand with a plastic ruler.

I bought a box at Bass Pro to run through my friend's gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom