• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    This is also a good deal if you want to go braced pistol or SBR:

Yep. FORS - front opposite, rear same. Raising front sight lower point of impact. Raising rear raises point of impact.

For some reason I recall people buying taller front sights for their milsurps to shoot at closer ranges, so I figured that would fix the problem, nnnnnnope.

I also did it to myself by having the rear sight all the way down.

File this under "explanation not an excuse". The Magpul front BUIS does have a direction indication on the back, but its tiny, indoor ranges are low-light, my readers were not helping, and the range keeps your phone while you are out there. I was guessing which way to turn it, but I think in the end it didn't make that much of a difference.

Since there is not a lot of movement compared to older tang sights, I think the game plan will be get the front sight as low as possible and the rear sight his as possible for the next function test.

As an aside, the jams tended to be when the magazines were around half-full, and it was usually just the one, or one with a second, then everything ran fine after that.

I think I am going to try another flavor of CCI Blazer next time.

Maybe its because I have plenty of other vintage .22s, but I prefer the side charging handle.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    For some reason I recall people buying taller front sights for their milsurps to shoot at closer ranges, so I figured that would fix the problem, nnnnnnope.

I also did it to myself by having the rear sight all the way down.

File this under "explanation not an excuse". The Magpul front BUIS does have a direction indication on the back, but its tiny, indoor ranges are low-light, my readers were not helping, and the range keeps your phone while you are out there. I was guessing which way to turn it, but I think in the end it didn't make that much of a difference.

Since there is not a lot of movement compared to older tang sights, I think the game plan will be get the front sight as low as possible and the rear sight his as possible for the next function test.

As an aside, the jams tended to be when the magazines were around half-full, and it was usually just the one, or one with a second, then everything ran fine after that.

I think I am going to try another flavor of CCI Blazer next time.

Maybe its because I have plenty of other vintage .22s, but I prefer the side charging handle.
    It will be easier to 'meter' the sight adjustments by only adjusting one sight(preferably the front as long as it has enough adjustment to achieve zero). Just a suggestion.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    This is also a good deal if you want to go braced pistol or SBR:
    I know when I bought my complete CMMG .22 upper, I was having feed issues on the first range trip with it. I noticed a slight lip at the junction of the feed ramp and chamber rim. It was also deforming the bullet tips as they did feed, hurting accuracy. Once I dremeled the problem, the gu operated fine, the feed issues solved. Now, the gun is a star shooter(little red start paper target from the old shooting galleries).
    red star.jpg

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I know when I bought my complete CMMG .22 upper, I was having feed issues on the first range trip with it. I noticed a slight lip at the junction of the feed ramp and chamber rim. It was also deforming the bullet tips as they did feed, hurting accuracy. Once I dremeled the problem, the gu operated fine, the feed issues solved. Now, the gun is a star shooter(little red start paper target from the old shooting galleries).
    View attachment 370454
    I bought two of these CMMG barrels and bolt kits (one 4.5", one 9") and mine seem to work w/o any additional tweaking. :shrug:

Those cards are cool - where did you get them? I remember back in the day shooting those at a carnival with a full auto air gun. The very points of the star are hard to get. There would be like 2 or 3 dots left. "Sorry kid, no bear for you"

It will be easier to 'meter' the sight adjustments by only adjusting one sight(preferably the front as long as it has enough adjustment to achieve zero). Just a suggestion.

If I was at an outdoor range, on a pleasant day, carrying a full array of tools, with all kinds of time, sure. Indoor range with crap lighting, no tools, and time is money, whole different paradigm.

Also keep in mind the BUIS were regulated for 5.56 NATO, not .22lr, so I'm already into apples and oranges.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I bought two of these CMMG barrels and bolt kits (one 4.5", one 9") and mine seem to work w/o any additional tweaking. :shrug:

Those cards are cool - where did you get them? I remember back in the day shooting those at a carnival with a full auto air gun. The very points of the star are hard to get. There would be like 2 or 3 dots left. "Sorry kid, no bear for you"
    Found some on ebay. Shooting Star Inc.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    View attachment 370454
    Ah - accuracy - well that's another issue. I will look at the possible deformation of the bullets. Thanks for the tip.

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland

One time I shot out the star, but a tiny red spot got folded back out of sight. No bear for me.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    One time I shot out the star, but a tiny red spot got folded back out of sight. No bear for me.
    The trick is, the targets are suspended in air from a clip. The target folds back because there's no backstop.

(...small hands, smell of cabbage...)

Okay, finally got a chance to examine the sights.

I think I was confused by the Magpul's "UP --->" instructions; I turned it in the opposite direction thinking it would lower the sight, nnnnnope. Once I got it back in, I turned it in the UP direction and the front sight lowered.

Now I have the front all the way down and rear all the way up. We'll see where it prints next function test; which will also include the used/rebuilt CMMG mags.

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    Okay, finally got a chance to examine the sights.

I think I was confused by the Magpul's "UP --->" instructions; I turned it in the opposite direction thinking it would lower the sight, nnnnnope. Once I got it back in, I turned it in the UP direction and the front sight lowered.

Now I have the front all the way down and rear all the way up. We'll see where it prints next function test; which will also include the used/rebuilt CMMG mags.

Watch the whole video or skip to 7:30

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom