• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Owning 3 BRNO # 1s and a dozen CZ I would say that this is a little rougher overall. I don't have any experience with these but like you at that price I may buy one. Go ask the CZ/BRNO guys on fimfirecentral.com, they'll know for sure.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Just checked. Somebody started a thread about these on RFC tonite. Most thought they were a good deal for the money though a bit on the rough side. One guy has extraction issues with his. Overall opinion is they are well worth that price.

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    That's a very good deal even if it has a few issues that can be worked out.
    I wonder how close it is in build quality compared to a CZ.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    It will never be confused with a CZ but still a good deal. Wood work is rough and metal finishing is sure not as refined.
    If OP can swing it I'd look around for a CZ Trainer/Special. Heck, Gun Runner in Fredrick had a CZ UL with 2 mags last week for $275. I just couldn't get out there in time.

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    Closing the loop on this, I went and got myself a nice older Remington 510 from an MDSer who PMd me with an excellent offer. It is nearly NEW in condition, and I can hardly wait to get out to the range and give a report on it!

And more pictures in rimfire pr0n too, after I get some good pics, look up the manufacture date code, etc. So far it extracts fine w/spent cases and snapcaps, and since it's single-shot there's not much more to it.

Not what I was thinking I wanted, but after looking/reading around, I decided this would be a great way to introduce non-shooters to things. I mean, what could be less scary than a single-shot, bolt-action .22 rifle?

My assistant is inspecting the new purchase for me, wondering if she can borrow it while I'm out of town. That's a definite "no," kitty.

s/f

Attachments

• 510 and feet.jpg
      510 and feet.jpg
      42.3 KB · Views: 302

-Mil-Surp-Phreak-

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2007
    Gaithersburg
    Who makes the stock?

Q

I took a gas gun Airsoft stock that had a real full metal receiver frame and custom fit it to the XT-22. I thought I made a thread with details and instructions but after digging a bit I think I typed it all up and closed the browser without submitting the thread and said F it after typing for 30 minutes lol. I don't know how many stocks are floating around out there but the actual airsoft rifles got crappy reviews and the airsoft part broke constantly so the stocks should be out there, you just have to dig around a bit.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Closing the loop on this, I went and got myself a nice older Remington 510 from an MDSer who PMd me with an excellent offer. It is nearly NEW in condition, and I can hardly wait to get out to the range and give a report on it!

And more pictures in rimfire pr0n too, after I get some good pics, look up the manufacture date code, etc. So far it extracts fine w/spent cases and snapcaps, and since it's single-shot there's not much more to it.

Not what I was thinking I wanted, but after looking/reading around, I decided this would be a great way to introduce non-shooters to things. I mean, what could be less scary than a single-shot, bolt-action .22 rifle?

My assistant is inspecting the new purchase for me, wondering if she can borrow it while I'm out of town. That's a definite "no," kitty.

s/f

For under 300 it's hard to beat the classics, Remington and Winchester made hundreds of thousands of quality 22 rifles over the last 100 or so years that with careful shopping can be found for bargain prices.
    Last weekend I found this 1940's Winchester 69A in a rack at a gun shop for 275.00 with 2 original Winchester mags,5 round and a 10 round, the 10 round sells for 100 bucks on Ebay all the time.
    I have found the vintage guns to be quite accurate.

Attachments

• IMG_2208.jpg
      IMG_2208.jpg
      56.7 KB · Views: 363
    • IMG_2210.jpg
      IMG_2210.jpg
      49.2 KB · Views: 365
    • IMG_2200.jpg
      IMG_2200.jpg
      51.7 KB · Views: 366

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    You sir have quite the knack for finding quality blued steel and walnut!

Very Nice rifle....one of a number of winners you've posted! Now how do I put you on my "ignore" list? ;)

Good luck with it!

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    My first rifle was a Remington 510, that was my Dad's when he was a kid. We had Lyman peep sights installed on it when I was shooting NRA badges when I was 11.

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    Followup to followup, I've had the 510 out to the range twice now, once at 50 and 25 yards for familiarization and sighting, once at 100 for grins. Out to 50 even my old eyes with the basic iron sights are putting it in 3" groups offhand, a little tighter with a bench rest. At 100, I need bigger targets. (Seriously, I have some short range targets with 3" black in the bull, and at 100 yards that's pretty damned small).

But the rifle does seem perfectly set for windage, and elevation set for 50 yards. I'm surprised how much fun that old single shot at a time, focus on your fundamentals work is - I can hardly wait to get out again!

Have to stock up on more ammo though. Boo.

HK1911

Jan 23, 2014
    MD
    I have a CZ455 varmint and love that rifle. It's a bit more than $300 new, but it's more accurate than me and looks great.

Hippy

Mar 11, 2008
    Frostburg Md
    The Ruger All American is IMHO the best thing to hit the Rimfire World in the last 25 years--Trigger, Magazine/bedding system .

As for the SALVAGE they would be a distant 2nd--if you can find a used Remington 580,581,582 they are as accurate as any for the $$

Good Luck

Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom