• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I'm in the market for a 22 conversion kit for an AR/ m16 RR.

There are many makes available (achisson, seiner, cmmg, etc) . Which one works best?

Also looking for a Ceiner 22 kit for a Ruger AC556K. Are there worth the trouble?

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    After some waffling, I went with a dedicated upper from CMMG. Pricier, but runs like a champ and there's no chance of gunking up my gas tube or adding extra wear on any 5.56 upper parts.

Ceiner's kit for the AR is basically the Atchisson pattern with a couple of minor tweaks. The Atchisson is what US mil used for training. It's a good design although like any conversion kit, it is less reliable than a dedicated .22 upper. However Ceiner is a horrible company to deal with if you have any issues.

Kevmo

N00b
    Feb 20, 2009
    Severn
    Ive been trying to find a ded upper with no luck :(

Scar, i have a spikes one, let me know if your interested, i nvr use it

boatbiologist

Nov 6, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Had a Ceiner and a TacSol complete upper. Both use Black Dog mags which work well until the lips crack. Both types I had ran subs.

The 22 conversions are strangely reliable.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I have a couple of SBR uppers that I don't shoot anymore..don't really care about the gas tube getting plugged. I was wondering if a CMMG kit/black dog steel lips mag would work with subsonics? A 1:9 twist should also stabilize the Aguilar SSS.. Coupled with a can, it should be a sweet setup. If I can get it to work.

boatbiologist

Nov 6, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Not sure about the SSS. I never had to do anything to mine. TacSol bolt was chrome (as I remember). I did polish the Ceiner, but not because it needed it. Sometimes I can't help fixing things that aren't broke.

I read some folks clipping a few rings off the recoil spring of the CMMG kit to get it to run subs. I would bet it doesn't been it with the SSS.

40 gr .22lr didn't keyhole out of my 1/9 Ceiner, but accuracy wasn't impressive. SBX TacSol was a tack driver.

Hopefully someone will be along with some SSS auto experience. I'd love to hear about it.

Lapua Dan

Nov 4, 2010
    I run a ciener kit in the ac556. I tested it with several round nose 40 grain rounds and they all ran. It runs very well, and very fast. I use the plastic black dog mags. I have seen posted elsewhere that the older kits didn't have a feed ramp on the chamber conversion, but both of mine do. So that might be something to look at.

DaveP

Jan 27, 2013
    St. Marys county
    I picked up some M261 conversion kits some years back, $87 shipped with mag inserts, and they have been fine for plinking/goofing off!

But these days, .22 is about the same price as .223 was when I went with the conversions to save money!
    AAAAAGGGGHHHHH!!!!

And looking at the current prices folks are asking for the M261 kits, I should have bought a LOT more!!!

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    If you are going to buy a kit as opposed to a dedicated upper get the CMMG stainless steel 3 mag kit. I have shot mine in 2 different ARs in both practice, Ruger Rimfire, and Steel Challenge Carbine division and it works flawlessly with never one problem. I mainly use CCI-Tactical in this and my AR15-22s I recently upgraded the CMMG mags to the BDM smoke w/steel feed lips just to be safe. From being in the last 2 Ruger Rimfire World Championships I have watched a number of the top shooters (BJ Norris, Mark Itzstein, John Bagaskis, etc.) who shot AR uppers and about 75% of them shoot Tactical Solutions uppers. If you are only shooting out to less than 50 yards you do not need a 1:16 twist barrel. I have shot the CMMG conversion in both 1:8 and 1:9 barrels and did not notice any keyholing at all. Accuracy is spot on at those short distances.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    I'm in the market for a 22 conversion kit for an AR/ m16 RR.

There are many makes available (achisson, seiner, cmmg, etc) . Which one works best?

If you remember shooting my dedicated upper, it functions 100%. It's built around a CMMG stainless bolt and stainless dedicated collar. I'm even using Gen2 Blackdog mags and they work great.

My suggestion would be to go with the stainless conversion kit from CMMG.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    If you remember shooting my dedicated upper, it functions 100%. It's built around a CMMG stainless bolt and stainless dedicated collar. I'm even using Gen2 Blackdog mags and they work great.

My suggestion would be to go with the stainless conversion kit from CMMG.

I remember shooting your 22 ar. It is your fault why I am in this situation right now. Looks like I'm in the market for a CMMG stainless kit. I will be building an 11.5 5.56 SBR upper into a dedicated suppressed 22 upper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom