• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    Ok ,I wasn't sure if you we're confused from sp to bt. Why not just use what you have? They will do just fine. I've loaded nosler bt from 40 to 55 grains and they all make a good mess on groundhogs. I have some hornady 55 bt loaded up now that group well. Haven't flesh tested them yet.

Sierra game kings perform well
    Match kings make a real good mess,those are my favorite.
    Dog towns shot well
    Varmagedons did good.

You have plenty options as far as bullets. If they say varmint, they usually haven't Ben bought up yet. Federal makes a good one that has a nosler 40 gr ballistic tip that shoots real good between me and a few of my friends that have shot them.

I like to tinker so I've tried a good handful of them

JLaff

Dec 12, 2012
    Maryland
    Yeah the ones I bought will do fine. I was trying to see what everyone else was using so I could research what would be best for the dollar.

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    I say don't waste your money on fancy ammo for a mangy dog! Unless you want to sell the pelts, then use the ballistic tips and go light. 35-40 grainers. If the soft points group well, send'um, they will drop them like a sack of bricks...JMO

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    I just picked up a bunch of varmageddons hpbt and bt if I ever get in my dies we shall see what works the best. :-)
    Hp for close range shots and BT for long range work. I use that order because, if you get the angle just right in the sun with the hp at 50 yards, you can make a rainbow with a head shot:party29:

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    for varmints I always use fiocchi 50 grain loaded with v-max polymer tipped bullets.

I've never used a softpoint .223 for hunting anything other than varmints, so I can't see them being more effective than poly-tipped HPs

I've used ball ammo on hogs before with GREAT results, though, m855 lake city will put down a big hog no sweat

JLaff

Dec 12, 2012
    Maryland
    Are you looking for loaded .223 SP's or Soft points to load ? If to load what grain?

Well I was looking for .223 soft point or ballistic tip rounds to buy. But I should be able to reload before to long. Right now I'm using PPU 55gr soft points. When I reload I'd like to use the same grain bullet to make it a little easier to re-zero if necessary.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    $10.99 box of 20

American Eagle 50gr with hornady v-max bullet

I used these in my AR all hunting season took out an 8 pointer, a spike, and 4 does with no issues.

also have .5 MOA group @ 100

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/95...unition-223-remington-50-grain-tipped-varmint

Sgt Preston here...

I'm getting my best groups ever from my Ruger Mini 14 with this ammo...

It's made quite a difference with Mini 14's accuracy...

And it's inexpensive when you can find it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom