• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 11wideglide

Feb 3, 2017
    Baltco
    My Hornady book says set the OAL of .223's at 2.200 w/ trim length at 1.750 (55gr), while my Lyman book says 2.250 (same trim length), and all commercial ammo is around 2.245-2.255 with a case length of 1.760-1.770. Just curious for 55gr FMJ loads what is everyone setting their OAL and case lengths at for AR platforms? Thank you!

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    For the AR, I normally trimmed to 1.750" (can normally get a firing or two before needing to trim again). And for 55gr FMJ-BT, I'd set the COL right around 2.245".

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Some bullets will get good groups when they just touch the rifling. Reduce the load a few grains while allowing the gas to expand against the bullet before it moves. The lighter load will still allow the same velocity without excessive pressure. This is how I load for my ar with 55 gr bullets. This also restores some accuracy in vintage stuff with some throat erosion by selecting a longer bullet and then reducing charges of course. 2.252 with 23 gr of 335 is what works for me if I remember correctly My rifle has a 223 chamber. This is about as soon as the cannelure passes the case mouth with a Hornady 55g fmj with my set up.

Sharpeneddark

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    Westminster
    Well, yes, the trim length should be 1.750 ish...unless you're Winchester. If Winchester made their brass any longer, they'd have to start putting rifling on the cases.

Pic of once fired Winchester brand .223 Rem.

Attachments

• 20170125_194420.jpg
      20170125_194420.jpg
      63.5 KB · Views: 349

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    The min case length per the SAAMI draing is 1.730"

I've found 2.26" to be too long for some magazines (pmags maybe). 2.25" and no problems.

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    Well, yes, the trim length should be 1.750 ish...unless you're Winchester. If Winchester made their brass any longer, they'd have to start putting rifling on the cases.

Pic of once fired Winchester brand .223 Rem.

Is that the measurement before resizing? 20 to 25 thousands growth is what I see from pretty much any brass fired with a semi-auto.

Sharpeneddark

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    Westminster
    Is that the measurement before resizing? 20 to 25 thousands growth is what I see from pretty much any brass fired with a semi-auto.

Really? That's interesting. I usually only see 1-3 thousandths of an inch growth from resizing. However, to answer your question, that was after resizing. Next time I get some once fired Winchester, I'll measure. Of that Winchester lot, though, most of it was hanging right around 1.760, this one piece was an outlier.

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    Really? That's interesting. I usually only see 1-3 thousandths of an inch growth from resizing. However, to answer your question, that was after resizing. Next time I get some once fired Winchester, I'll measure. Of that Winchester lot, though, most of it was hanging right around 1.760, this one piece was an outlier.

Sorry, I often use too few words. What I meant was, If I measure a fired case before resizing it's often .020~.025 longer than it should be. Since the one in your post was about that length I was wondering if it had not been resized yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom