• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lostsole

Feb 28, 2011
    North West Balto Co
    I'm interested in getting a .22 Wheelgun for the cost and for my 10 year old to be able to shoot. After looking on the web, I'm leaning towards the .22lr/22 Mag H&R models, like the 922, and also the Ruger Single Six. Is one more accurate than the other or a better value for the money? I know H&R quit making pistols, so I will have to look a little hard for one.

joppaj

Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    The Single-Six with it's .22 and .22WMR cyliders is a fantastic value for an excellent shooter. One of my favorite guns.

BondJamesBond

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 2, 2009
    Ruger is supposed to be coming out with a Single 10 (ten rounds) and an SP101 with 8 rounds, both in .22 LR.

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    I've got a couple of the H&Rs and they're fun little plinkers. You'll never mistake one for a S&W K22 or even a Ruger, but the price is right.

Now a single 10 might pique my interest...

Enzo_Guy

Jul 13, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I personally would opt for the Single Six over the Rough Rider, and as matter of fact I was mere days from buying one when a used Colt Police Positive showed up for a good deal. I'm not one to turn down a well priced antique wheelgun and I can buy a brand new Single Six anytime.

This also buys me a month that either a used Single Six will show up or the SP101 will become available. I'd like to handle an SP101 before considering it, but if I'm going for a DA .22LR revolver it's going to be hard for me to steer away from the S&W 17/617 (or a K22 if I ever run across one for a good price).

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    THe latest issue of American Rifleman has a write-up on the new Taurus .22LR revolver. It got a good review but I would still want a chance to handle one.

One of the guys in my office said there should be a few at the Appalachian Gun Show in PA on 10/29-10/30.

Mark C

Jul 6, 2008
    My grandfather has a 922, I have a single six. They're both fun, easy to handle, relatively accurate, but I prefer the Ruger mostly for cosmetic reasons.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    THe latest issue of American Rifleman has a write-up on the new Taurus .22LR revolver. It got a good review but I would still want a chance to handle one.

One of the guys in my office said there should be a few at the Appalachian Gun Show in PA on 10/29-10/30.

From another thread about that Taurus,
    http://mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=1327450&postcount=10

A really ugly timing issue. Of course, we do not know if the gun has been abused.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    From another thread about that Taurus,
    http://mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=1327450&postcount=10

A really ugly timing issue. Of course, we do not know if the gun has been abused.

I am not hugely happy with my 17 HMR taurus (same basic frame) its an ok gun but horrible trigger and the cartridges sometimes stick (probably wouldnt happen without the taper. Finish and feel are ok but not great.

My suggestion would be to seek out a good H&R 999 or a Dan Wesson. Or spend the dollars and get a S&W. Ruger's new SP101 10shoot .22s look pretty good to.

Enzo_Guy

Jul 13, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I am not hugely happy with my 17 HMR taurus (same basic frame) its an ok gun but horrible trigger and the cartridges sometimes stick (probably wouldnt happen without the taper. Finish and feel are ok but not great.

My suggestion would be to seek out a good H&R 999 or a Dan Wesson. Or spend the dollars and get a S&W. Ruger's new SP101 10shoot .22s look pretty good to.

The bad trigger seems to be a common complaint of the Taurus .22LR revolvers, but I've never shot one personally.

However, I will say that the best DA trigger I've ever pulled was a S&W 617. Maybe a blued 17 is in order next month if I have the cash, otherwise I'll be getting a Single Six.

Dead Eye

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 21, 2010
    At Wal-Mart, buying more ammo.
    photobucket-3759-1319152825074.jpg

Ruger Single Six "Three Screw". My Dad bought it in the late 50's. He taught my brother, sister, and I how to shoot with it. I taught my wife and three daughters how to shoot with it. My first grandchild is on the way. They too will get to shoot it.

Revvin' Evan

Oct 17, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Ruger is supposed to be coming out with a Single 10 (ten rounds) and an SP101 with 8 rounds, both in .22 LR.

This also buys me a month that either a used Single Six will show up or the SP101 will become available. I'd like to handle an SP101 before considering it, but if I'm going for a DA .22LR revolver it's going to be hard for me to steer away from the S&W 17/617 (or a K22 if I ever run across one for a good price).

The new SP101 is available and in stores now:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom