• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • huesmann

n00b
    Mar 23, 2012
    Silver Spring, MD
    I'm looking to pick up a .22 that I can use for cheap plinking and working on technique. Ideally something with some decent size to it, since my other pistols are Glocks. Went to Engage to check out some of their wares. The M&P 22 seemed like it fit the bill the best; the other .22s they had were just too small, or too different (Ruger MkIII). Anything else I should be looking at/for that's about the same size as an M&P 22?

RaVis

Oi!
    Jun 19, 2011
    How about a .22 LR conversion for one of your Glocks? You'd be able to practice on the same platform.

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    I agree with the conversion kit...

If you want a standalone .22 though i really suggest the ruger mk2 or 3...awesome pistols...i know you want a training aid...but hey, it would be cool to have something different

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    Suggestions for conversions? How quick can one do a conversion, if one wanted to shoot some .22 and some 9mm on the same trip to the range?

All it is is swapping out the slide and magazine, pretty much. It will probably cost about the same as if you bought a separate 22 pistol to shoot, but everything will carry over better, seeing as it's the same as your everyday piece. Not sure of brands, but I know some people here will know for sure. Also, you could just google "22lr glock conversion."

But if you decide you want a standalone piece, I couldn't be happier with my ruger mk iii 22/45. I've put around 1300 rounds through it so far with no malfunctions at all.

glock9mm

Ultimate Member
    Jun 5, 2011
    Ceciltucky!
    I have an M&P 22 and I love shooting it! I have had no issues with approx. 600 rounds through it. The only thing is I wish it had came with at least two mags but other than that, it's a great shooter!

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    If you want to practice for your Glock than the AA conversion kit gets my vote. I've had one for about 4 years and love it.
    IMAG0151.jpg

Chasbo00

Jun 30, 2012
    Northern VA
    I'm lucky enough to have both. Mine is an Advantage Arms kit for a Gen 4 Glock 19. The main plus for a conversion kit is that it allows you to have just about the same trigger feel and pull weight (mine has a slight difference, the kit's trigger pull is a little lighter). And, the pistol is physically lighter with the Glock conversion kit installed. My conversion kit is also ammo sensitive. Unfortunately, it likes the expensive stuff - CCI MiniMags.

Regarding the M&P 22, I'm very happy with it. I shoot an M&P in competition and use this pistol as a trainer as well as a fun gun. I've got nearly 5000 rounds through it now and it continues to run very well. It likes hot ammo best.

Tough choice - my recommendation would be if you really want a 22 trainer specifically for your Glock and closely replicating the trigger is important, then go with the conversion kit. Otherwise, I would get the M&P 22 which I believe has far greater utility.

Or, do what I did - get both.

fleaman64

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2011
    If you want to practice for your Glock than the AA conversion kit gets my vote. I've had one for about 4 years and love it.
    IMAG0151.jpg

Is that a Sparrow SS I see you sporting on that AA conversion? Will CCI Standard cycle well in that with the can on?

fleaman64

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2011
    I'm lucky enough to have both. Mine is an Advantage Arms kit for a Gen 4 Glock 19. The main plus for a conversion kit is that it allows you to have just about the same trigger feel and pull weight (mine has a slight difference, the kit's pull is a little lighter). And, the pistol is physically lighter with the Glock conversion kit installed. My conversion kit is also ammo sensitive. Unfortunately, it likes the expensive stuff - CCI MiniMags.

Will that same kit work on the G17 Gen 4? I am also looking to supress it. Correct me if I'm wrong, doesn't AA recommend Remington Golden Bullet?

Chasbo00

Jun 30, 2012
    Northern VA
    Will that same kit work on the G17 Gen 4? I am also looking to supress it. Correct me if I'm wrong, doesn't AA recommend Remington Golden Bullet?

AA makes different kits for 17/22 vs. 19/23, so I don't think a 19 kit will work on a 17.

My conversion kit will work with Remington Golden Bullets, but not well. Mine balks once about every 20 rounds or so and this drives me nuts. The Remington Golden Bullets are also dirty as hell and sometimes have primer ignition issues. CCI MiniMags work fine in my conversion kit, in fact I've never had a malfunction with them.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Yup, different slides for different guns depending on length and Gen 3/4.

I have an AA kit for my Gen 3 19. So far I really like it, it's a little more ammo sensitive than some of my other .22s but I've heard that they get more reliable after a break-in period. Mine only has maybe 400 rounds through it. CCI works great, other brands give me a failure to feed every couple mags.

Tactical Solutions also makes a conversion kit which is well-regarded. Theirs is only for the standard length frames 17/22 while AA makes both lengths. The Tac Sol kit has a steel slide which is the biggest difference. The AA slide is aluminum and makes the gun super light which is my only real complaint... but on the plus side it has more recoil and muzzle flip more like shooting centerfire.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    Is that a Sparrow SS I see you sporting on that AA conversion? Will CCI Standard cycle well in that with the can on?

Yep, SS 22Sparrow.

When I first got my AA kit 4 years ago it only liked Rem GB's. But now it cycles everything Ive tried except for CCI Quiet, which doesnt cycle any semi-auto's anyways.

When I got the stamp back for my Sparrow I sent the kit's barrel to Mike Pappas at Silencerco who then threaded it and made a 1/2x28 adapter for me. Silencerco is a great company to deal with. When shooting suppressed I regularly run CCI Standard Velocity and Federal Bulk through it and they both run great. They both also stay subsonic, so I usually just run the Fed Bulk through it to save a few pennies. The Fed Bulk is only slightly louder than the CCI SV's but still stays subsonic.

Btw, the suppressed setup is so soft shooting its the first thing I pull out of the bag to teach a new shooter.

Oh, and heres a Silencerco vid of the AA kit with a Sparrow shooting both CCI Mini's and Standard Velocity.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-OGGA-mQeA

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom