• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phidelta308

Jan 4, 2010
    bawlmer, hon!
    Yes you read that right. I brought a box of .22 shorts to the range today, to use in my .22 revolver. Just for fun, I loaded a single round directly into the chamber of my AR 15 with the CMMG Conversion kit installed. I figured it would fire, but wouldn't cycle. Much to my surprise, it cycled.

So, since I was just having fun, I figure, why not see what happens if I load one in the magazine... pop the magazine in the rifle, pull back on the charging handle and let go... round chambers, bolt goes fully into battery. :shocking:

Again, I fired the round, and it ejected properly and the bolt locked back. So I tried loading a 3 rounds into the magazine. It cycled through all three just fine!

4 or more rounds in the magazine didn't work too well, as the rounds would bunch up and fail to feed.

I burned through quite a few shorts this way tonight. It wasn't exactly reliable. There were a lot more failures to feed and the like than I normally have when using this conversion kit. But it was really fun, and very QUIET.

I wouldn't recommend that anybody else tries this. There isn't much of a point to it really, since .22 shorts are more expensive than .22 LR these days. But it was kinda cool. Also, my conversion kit runs reliably on .22 LR subsonics, which I would expect since it apparently can run on .22 shorts.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    So I guess you've never had any issues with the CMMG running regular .22? Mine never worked right. Cases would get stuck vertically vertically in it, jam up all kinds of ways.

I rounded every sharp edge off with cratex, marginally shined up every surface that has metal contact, and some other shadetree fine tuning and it still ran the same.

phidelta308

Jan 4, 2010
    bawlmer, hon!
    So I guess you've never had any issues with the CMMG running regular .22? Mine never worked right. Cases would get stuck up vertically in it, jam up all kinds of ways.

My runs pretty reliably with regular .22 LR. I almost exclusively shoot Federal bulk pack .22 from Wal Mart through it. I still get the occasional round stuck vertically in it. Usually once a range trip, I have to put the kit out to get the round that gets stuck inside the channel of the charging handle.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Yeah that's what mine did on a 50-60 percent basis; the vertical jamming, even up to expensive .22s like CCI Stingers.

I also tried two different magazines, the one it came with and a Black Dog. Nothing seemed to work, so I gave up on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom