• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BlueFin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2007
    Montgomery Village
    Thunderbolts? If they paid me .04/round I guess I could take some off their hands. No more than a brick though.

I have read some really horrible reviews about this ammo, but then there are also shooters that swear how they like it and is just like any other. It is still in the market, so people are still buying them. I bought 2 bricks, I guess i'll know soon how bad they are.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I got that email too. I get the impression that its not 'Eley Standard' they simply relabeled. It says "ELEY in conjunction with the CMP developed an accurate round" which makes me think it yet another version of Eley that doesn't exactly match anything else. Or maybe it does. But its going to be a crapshoot as to whether it works well in your guns w/o trying it first.

It looks like the "ELEY CMP standard" is similar to the specs of Eley Contact brand except loaded with a 40 grain bullet instead of the Contact's 42 grain. The velocity is the same and the wax coating is the same.
    http://www.eley.co.uk/ammunition

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    With any new match ammo, I'll buy a couple of hundred rounds and shoot for groups. If it works, then I'll buy a case...

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I bet it works better than Thundercrap and if it doesn't work for you you can always sell it to your friends who either don't know about ammo testing or don't care about accuracy. Or a better idea just keep buying guns until you find one that likes the ammo.:D

That is really thinking outside the box. :lol2:

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I bet it works better than Thundercrap and if it doesn't work for you you can always sell it to your friends who either don't know about ammo testing or don't care about accuracy. Or a better idea just keep buying guns until you find one that likes the ammo.:D

And with these words spoken, in this the Year of Our Lord 2017, the Pinnacle of Brilliance has indeed truly been reached.

Few of us will ever begin to approach this level of profound wisdom. From this day forward, I shall refer to this member as Sensei. :)

"Buy guns until you find one that likes the ammo." Now that's some flat out funny shit right there!

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    And with these words spoken, in this the Year of Our Lord 2017, the Pinnacle of Brilliance has indeed truly been reached.

Few of us will ever begin to approach this level of profound wisdom. From this day forward, I shall refer to this member as Sensei. :)

"Buy guns until you find one that likes the ammo." Now that's some flat out funny shit right there!

Just living up to my reputation as a bad influence.:D

W2D

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2015
    Escaped MD for FL
    Walmart at Jumpers Hole and Ritchie Hwy (Pasadena?) had Federal Automatch (325 rounds) for $14.84. They had a lot of .22 in the cabinet.

Sent from my bunker using Tapatalk Pro

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    The new DSG in Ellicott City is well stocked with .22LR and has several promotions. You can get a 1400 round bucket of Remington 36 grain hollow points for $71.99. The shelf price is $89.99 minus 20%.

W2D

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2015
    Escaped MD for FL
    The new DSG in Ellicott City is well stocked with .22LR and has several promotions. You can get a 1400 round bucket of Remington 36 grain hollow points for $71.99. The shelf price is $89.99 minus 20%.

That’s $0.0514 per round.

I picked up some more Federal Automatch from Walmart. $14.84 for 325 is $0.046 per round.
    06a30213348162c627f9cc9baf503257.jpg

Sent from my bunker using Tapatalk Pro

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    Found some Fed 550s at a DE WalMart for 4.1 cpr tax free. Picked up 4.
    I remember several cynical posters saying .22 was never gonna go below 6 cpr again so we may as well get used to it. Well, here we are.

silver78

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2009
    Found some Fed 550s at a DE WalMart for 4.1 cpr tax free. Picked up 4.
    I remember several cynical posters saying .22 was never gonna go below 6 cpr again so we may as well get used to it. Well, here we are.

I think it is possible that it will go even lower over time. Esp. the used ammo market. What happens in 3 - 5 years when many of our fellow gun owners who bought thousands of rounds during the panic realize they have waay more ammo than they need? They decide to sell it in the classifieds. I know this seems unthinkable to many of our active members here who shoot a lot but as a parent with two children I can assure you that many of us just don't have as much time for the range as we did before children. Life happens.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    I think it is possible that it will go even lower over time. Esp. the used ammo market. What happens in 3 - 5 years when many of our fellow gun owners who bought thousands of rounds during the panic realize they have waay more ammo than they need? They decide to sell it in the classifieds. I know this seems unthinkable to many of our active members here who shoot a lot but as a parent with two children I can assure you that many of us just don't have as much time for the range as we did before children. Life happens.

Selling ammo at a loss does not make a bit of sense, unless of course you need the money to eat or pay bills. Two things are for certain; there will always a future ammo shortage and the shelf life of ammo is great enough to make it to that next shortage.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa

The ONLY reason to sell your ammo stash is because you are in serious financial doo-doo. Kids grow up and should be taught how to shoot. And you NEVER know what the future may hold in regard to finding and purchasing ammo. My $.02

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Ammo.... .22 in particular, is always a good investment. You truly can't go wrong. It's pretty much an investment. I suggest you treat it as a commodity and buy and hold (what you don't use). It will hold its value very well over time. Bonus is it's a hedge against evil and tyranny.

Even in good times it is treated as currency in some barter situations. Think how that might improve (in your favor) in bad times.

What's the downside?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom