• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Aguila makes several different loadings of .22's. CMP sells two different types and the description says "... manufactured for perfect feeding in any type .22LR rimfire weapon" and the Civilian Marksmanship Program should know.

CMP also sells for less than most if you qualify, however it is currently out of stock but you can back order it and they won't charge your credit card until just before it ships.
    http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/ammo.htm#Aguila22

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    MANNNNNN....I missed THREE...3....notifications of .22lr ammo from Midway ikn past several weeks....and missed all of them...some by like 22 mins... now when I could get them....Im outta money...hahahahahha Just spent like $300 on other stuff.....jeeesh....:-)

22Shooter

Feb 5, 2013
    I signed up for alerts but never received any, not even in my spam folder. Gunbot still hasn't found anything under $0.30 a round

clutchNthrottle

Deadpooligan
    Feb 2, 2012
    Harford
    MANNNNNN....I missed THREE...3....notifications of .22lr ammo from Midway ikn past several weeks....and missed all of them...some by like 22 mins... now when I could get them....Im outta money...hahahahahha Just spent like $300 on other stuff.....jeeesh....:-)

I got an email from Midway the week before last for .22LR. I was on their page within 12 minutes from the time stamp on the email and they were already gone!:mad54:

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    I can't believe people are paying the prices I am seeing. I am about to offload my stash for a reasonable profit. I can only assume the person buying it from me is going to buy it and mark it up even further. I would never pay even half the price people are paying for .22. I figure if SHTF I'm not going to fight off the hoards with .22 anyway. Why don't people calm down and just wait a month or two and get it at normal or somewhat normal prices?

LandinD

Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    becuase people who ordered ammo 2-3 months ago and somewhat normal prices are still waiting for their orders to be filled. Its all about supply and demand, supply is low, demand is high so prices are high.

My friends used to laugh at me for hoarding 22lr when it was 14.99 for 525 rounds of remington. Now that people are selling the same boxes for 80 bucks online all my buddies are trying to get at the ammo I have since they know ill mark it up but not enough to be a dick about it.

itsslow98

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    I can't believe people are paying the prices I am seeing. I am about to offload my stash for a reasonable profit. I can only assume the person buying it from me is going to buy it and mark it up even further. I would never pay even half the price people are paying for .22. I figure if SHTF I'm not going to fight off the hoards with .22 anyway. Why don't people calm down and just wait a month or two and get it at normal or somewhat normal prices?

I have completed loaded up on .22 because its the ammo I can shoot and not feel guilty afterwards. If I shoot the .223 I paid .36 a round for I know for the next year i wont be able to replenish my stock without overpaying. I also think .22 is fun as hell to shoot.

clutchNthrottle

Deadpooligan
    Feb 2, 2012
    Harford
    Why don't people calm down and just wait a month or two and get it at normal or somewhat normal prices?

cuz we've been saying that to ourselves since December and it's almost May now and it's still next to impossible to get at the prices 5 months ago... Will we see $20-$25 bricks on shelves and actually in stock on websites by June or July? My magic 8-ball says: "not f*ckin' likely"

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    Well, how about this... I'm not going to gouge people by selling any of the ammo I have at ridiculous prices. I'll shoot what I have and when I get to a point where I'm lacking in a certain caliber, I'll barter... but not at crazy prices.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    The major retailers are not wanting to raise prices and so people are buying even if they don't need to shoot it. Simple economics shows That's delaying the calming of the rationing. If the prices rose say 50% when it could have, not as many people would be hording. I know people who are not shooting cause they are afraid to run out. There are people buying, then not shooting and storing 2x-5x more .22 than they were storing last October. If you have ammo to sell, I say sell it and sell it at MARKET price so those who are hungry enough to pay will pay. That will free up the stuff at the stores. Well, that's what my economics teacher used to say about the Carter Gas crisis days and how price regulation causes rationing. Its the local retailers who are not raising prices because they feel they'd get bad feelings in the long run (they would unfortunatly). Who here would be willing to pay $40 for something that was $29 6 months ago? MANY WOULD I think, but many would complain to the stores later and still when things calm down not realizing it's capital economics and that's what drives this country to be free.

I'm bartering, but no one seems to have what I want either..... :)

AlpineDude67

Feb 17, 2013
    The current market has an arbitrage opportunity - people will pay 5x what ammo costs at retail on Gunbroker. As long as people can buy it at Wally World and then resell it for huge profits, it will not be readily available anywhere. The good news is that arbitrage opportunities are almost always fleeting in nature and this one is definitely no different.

If you think things are going to stay this way over the long term, you have to believe two things that are definitely not true:

(1) People are actually using way more .22 ammo now than they did 2 years ago, somehow everybody and their grandmother is now ripping through 5 bricks a week.

(2) If (1) actually turned out to be true, there is some hard production limit on .22 ammo (like making it is protected by patents, or you can't obtain raw materials or the equipment that would be needed to increase production.)

Neither of these things are remotely true. Eventually prices are going to fall because the hoarding and panic buying will end, and the people making .22 ammo will still be churning out tons of it.

If you want to see the end of this, just don't buy any from the guys on gunbroker. The sooner they start getting stuck with huge piles of this stuff they can't sell for a profit, the faster things will start to return to normal.

In fact, this market has gotten so out of whack in relation to fundamental demand that I expect we will see prices LOWER than what they were before all this pretty soon. At some point the hoarders are going to run out of closet space or get yelled at by their wives and they will stop stockpiling the stuff. Then, all of a sudden, all the ammo producers are going to get hammered because demand falls a cliff. They will have no choice but to reduce prices in order to clear things out. BTW, that will be the time to start filling up your closet with enough rimfire that you will never have to worry about this ever again. Don't buy more than you need when it starts getting easier to buy, wait 9 months or so, you will almost certainly be glad you did.

AlpineDude67

Feb 17, 2013
    The people who make ammo for a living know what demand has been over time, they know demand is going to go back to that pattern soon, which is why they aren't doing anything other than running their existing equipment 24/7. If they opened new plants and increased production that would make the crash worse, but you are still going to see a glut of this stuff eventually. When it happens, who knows, it could be 18 months away or something.

There was a guy who ran Sunbeam grills, I forget his name, but he got in trouble for "channel stuffing" basically he was paying Home Depot to take and warehouse grills for next year to make his sales look better this year and pump up the stock in his company. But he was borrowing next year's demand for grills to make this year's numbers look good. Eventually the whole thing collapsed because people only buy X number of gas grills a year. I think the guy ended up going to jail for securities fraud.

Anyway, the panic is working the same way, people are buying the rimfire ammo they need now, and the rimfire ammo they will end up shooting next year or the year after. But eventually they will have enough ammo and stop buying more. The ammo manufacturers will eventually cut production in response to a drop in demand, but before that happens there should be a window where there is too much out there and they have to cut prices to get rid of it.

clutchNthrottle

Deadpooligan
    Feb 2, 2012
    Harford
    Anyway, the panic is working the same way, people are buying the rimfire ammo they need now, and the rimfire ammo they will end up shooting next year or the year after. But eventually they will have enough ammo and stop buying more. The ammo manufacturers will eventually cut production in response to a drop in demand, but before that happens there should be a window where there is too much out there and they have to cut prices to get rid of it.

Get commfy, cuz it's gonna be a while in bat country...:tap: I'd say it'll be a good 30-36 months before people will actually see a brick on the shelf for $30 and just walk by it, saying nah, I got enough...:indiffere

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom