• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dracolithix

Apr 17, 2022
    Hagerstown, MD
    Hello all,

I had an idea and was wondering if anyone has done it or knew if it was legal or not. I don't live in Maryland yet and am trying to figure out if I have to sell my AR15 with a normal barrel.
    If I bring my AR15 with the .22 CMMG bolt in it, and never install the .223/5.56 bolt until I buy an HBAR, is that legal? Additionally, can I buy an HBAR and install it into a normal AR15 upper and lower receiver without any additional legal considerations?

What's the safest route to buying or bringing an AR15 legal in Maryland?

Thanks!

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Only 5.56/.223 need to be in an HBAR config. You are good with any barrel contour on any other caliber. You can certainly add an HBAR to an existing banned configuration and come into compliance.

Advice: Don't try to make sense of Maryland laws. They are dumb laws made by dumber people.

Dracolithix

Apr 17, 2022
    Hagerstown, MD
    Only 5.56/.223 need to be in an HBAR config. You are good with any barrel contour on any other caliber. You can certainly add an HBAR to an existing banned configuration and come into compliance.

Advice: Don't try to make sense of Maryland laws. They are dumb laws made by dumber people.
    Thank you for the clarification! I'm glad I'll be able to keep my AR, so long as I follow the aforementioned dumb laws.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Mind you, it is legal to own a non HBAR upper in Md. You just can't put on any lower you didn't own in Md prior to 1 Oct 2013. If you go out of the state, you can mount that non HBAR on your lower as long as it is legal to do so wherever you go.
    You can also sell a non HBAR upper in Md.

Dracolithix

Apr 17, 2022
    Hagerstown, MD
    Mind you, it is legal to own a non HBAR upper in Md. You just can't put on any lower you didn't own in Md prior to 1 Oct 2013. If you go out of the state, you can mount that non HBAR on your lower as long as it is legal to do so wherever you go.
    You can also sell a non HBAR upper in Md.
    Okay, that's very useful to know. I wasn't sure if MDSP would crucify me for simply owning non-HBAR parts or not. Thank you for the information!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jlng1984

Latest threads

Top Bottom