• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • daad45

Feb 27, 2024
    Pasadena
    Not 100% but pretty close. They are also much cleaner than shooting standard lead bullets. If you have a rough bore, the thin copper coat can be scrapped off and you will still get some leading.
    Have you ever used the lubed 22’s? They were messy to handle. Canuc used to make them. I don’t like cleaning lead fouling.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Most un-plated .22 bullets are lubricated with wax, some more than others.

Plated bullets are usually used with high-velocity rounds to reduce fouling and those too are often waxed.

.22 rimfire fouling is typically quite soft and easily removed, IF it ever becomes an issue. A far greater problem is powder fouling in the action, which DOES need to be removed regularly.

I have some .22 LR guns with thousands of rounds between bore cleaning after shooting a mix of bullet types and they're fine. What's wrong with your gun that you are having so much concern about bullet fouling?

snake-eye

Jan 27, 2015
    MD
    You might want to try the polymer coated 22’s. I bought a box of them from Walmart. Used them in revolvers didn’t see any leading in throat or barrel.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    You might want to try the polymer coated 22’s. I bought a box of them from Walmart. Used them in revolvers didn’t see any leading in throat or barrel.
    Were they CCI Clean22? How was the accuracy?

snake-eye

Jan 27, 2015
    MD
    Just as an FYI. I’ve been using polyner coated bullets in my reloads for 38 spl, 45 acp, 32 S&w, and others for years with no barrel leading. All low power loads.

daad45

Feb 27, 2024
    Pasadena
    Most un-plated .22 bullets are lubricated with wax, some more than others.

Plated bullets are usually used with high-velocity rounds to reduce fouling and those too are often waxed.

.22 rimfire fouling is typically quite soft and easily removed, IF it ever becomes an issue. A far greater problem is powder fouling in the action, which DOES need to be removed regularly.

I have some .22 LR guns with thousands of rounds between bore cleaning after shooting a mix of bullet types and they're fine. What's wrong with your gun that you are having so much concern about bullet fouling?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Just as an FYI. I’ve been using polyner coated bullets in my reloads for 38 spl, 45 acp, 32 S&w, and others for years with no barrel leading. All low power loads.
    Similar to you, I used to load thousands of 9mm poly-coated as well as 225g for cheap plinking 300 Blk subs. Very clean shooting.

daad45

Feb 27, 2024
    Pasadena
    No problem yet but started shooting 22’s again and I don’t want any surprises. I just shot some bulk 223 and the powder fouling was really bad. Wax coatings seem to melt in a hot gun and attract burnt powder from casings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom