• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lax

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Baldwin
    I have been waiting on at threaded 22/45 for a while. Before that it was the threaded upper for my 226. The only reason I ask is I have finally found a threaded 226 upper, for $299. These have been real hard to find for months. The lite is still hard to find.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    IMAG0153-1.jpg

vafish

Mar 13, 2012
    Commonwealth of Virginia
    It really depends what you want it for.

The conversion uppers are great for cheap practice with you larger caliber lower. But I have found most conversion kits do not perform as well as a dedicated .22 LR pistol like the MKIII. The high end 1911 conversion kits are the exception.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    The 22/45 is an excellent host. If you find one, make sure you get the $8 busing to get rid of the mag disconnect safety.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    It really depends what you want it for.

The conversion uppers are great for cheap practice with you larger caliber lower. But I have found most conversion kits do not perform as well as a dedicated .22 LR pistol like the MKIII. The high end 1911 conversion kits are the exception.
    Maybe I've just been lucky. But all the conversion kits I have work perfectly.

Advantage Arms Glock 17/22 kit
    Sig P226 kit
    Kimber 1911 kit

All of them perform just as well as any MKIII I've shot. They're reliable, accurate, and not ammo sensitive.

lax

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Baldwin
    I had great luck with my advantage arms g21 conversion.
    I would love a 22/45 lite threaded but the only luck I have had has been with gun broker, and armslist but my go to shop is no longer taking FFL transfers. If I could find one that would accept it and allow the 8 day transfer for a collector I would have may card out in a minute.

The thought with the 226 conversion is I get it as soon as it shows up on my doorstep.

vafish

Mar 13, 2012
    Commonwealth of Virginia

Sig P226 kit
    Kimber 1911 kit

All of them perform just as well as any MKIII I've shot. They're reliable, accurate, and not ammo sensitive.

You are the first person I have heard of with an AA kit for a Glock that was not ammo sensitive.

IIRC the kimber kits are made by marvel if so no surprise that it works well.

lax

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Baldwin
    You are the first person I have heard of with an AA kit for a Glock that was not ammo sensitive.

IIRC the kimber kits are made by marvel if so no surprise that it works well.

My aa would even run crap thunderbolt, just keep it oiled and its good. 90% of what I shoot is federal bulk and that never gave me an issue

That said I should have a 22/45 lite coming in from Ohio by the end of the week.

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    I have a SIG P220 with the .22lr conversion and it is a TACK DRIVER. However, after about 200-250 rounds, it starts gunking up and I have that feed ramp polished so nice , if it was larger you could see your face in it :-) And that makes it MUCh easier to clean as I can usually just take a piece of cloth or paper and wipe the ramp, but need to take the upper off and clean the bolt face and breech face as they get really gunked up. I am looking to buy a Browning Buck Mark Whisper when I get the $$$, after, my COLT 1911 :-).

I may get a .22lr conversion from Ciener Conversions for my G22 though, as theirs are only $199 and have never read any bad reports about them. They make them for the Browning Hi Power and the Beretta 92 and 1911's. If anyone has any feed back on them, please advise and share. :-)

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia

Sig P226 kit
    Kimber 1911 kit

Yeah but I know plenty of people who have had issues with all those, especially the Kimber kit. One reason I prefer my customized Buckmark raceguns. All that being said my friend BJ Norris has been using a TacSol conversion on top of his Scandium framed S&W 1911 and used it to win both the World Steel Challenge and Ruger Rimfire World Championship in 2011. But I have known people who have had some issues with the TacSol conversions also. Personally the only conversion I have not had an issue with is the CMMG .22 kit I use in my ARs sometimes instead of using one of my AR15-22s. In fact it worked flawlessly for me on the second day of the 2012 Ruger Rimfire World Championship when I decided I thought my 15-22 PC model was about to have a problem.
    I'm sorry but every .22 firearm is ammo sensitive. It is a blowback design and depending on the power of the recoil system some ammo will work and some will not. As for accuracy if you are not shooting past 25 yards they all shoot to about the same point. Some will be more accurate with one particular brand and type of ammo that others. As long as the ammo does not go supersonic they all have similar accuracy also.

lax

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Baldwin
    You won't be disappointed. I love my 22/45, its accurate and fun as hell. Don't have the lite version, but still a blast.

Yeah my dad has a mark one target thats older then I am. Have you looked into the mag bushing that's supposed to improve the trigger pull.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Both

The 226 Classic's (226 frame with .22 upper) are a great way to go and very accurate for what they are. They can be snagged for around $450. However I doubt they would match a 22/45 head to head in accuracy or reliability.

Still training with a gun of similar size and grip in a (normally) cheap rimfire caliber has a lot of benefits.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    Yeah my dad has a mark one target thats older then I am. Have you looked into the mag bushing that's supposed to improve the trigger pull.

I did briefly at one point last year right around when I did my trust, then interest and desire kind of faded away. I should pick up the cause again.

vafish

Mar 13, 2012
    Commonwealth of Virginia
    I may get a .22lr conversion from Ciener Conversions for my G22 though, as theirs are only $199 and have never read any bad reports about them. They make them for the Browning Hi Power and the Beretta 92 and 1911's. If anyone has any feed back on them, please advise and share. :-)

You need to search a bit more about ciener then.

I have one of their kits for my AR15. It runs pretty well. If your unit runs well you are fine, but if it has problems forget about getting it fixed. Ciener has the worst customer service in the industry. Check the BBB in his city, so many complaints unresolved they won't even take anymore. He has even been arrested for fraud http://news.brevardtimes.com/2011/11/brevard-county-sheriffs-office-raids.html

RedBaron1

Feb 12, 2012
    I love my 22/45 lite. Full volquartsen internals, burris ff3, Hogue grips. Just waiting on my tax stamp for sparrow.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    Yeah but I know plenty of people who have had issues with all those, especially the Kimber kit. One reason I prefer my customized Buckmark raceguns. All that being said my friend BJ Norris has been using a TacSol conversion on top of his Scandium framed S&W 1911 and used it to win both the World Steel Challenge and Ruger Rimfire World Championship in 2011. But I have known people who have had some issues with the TacSol conversions also. Personally the only conversion I have not had an issue with is the CMMG .22 kit I use in my ARs sometimes instead of using one of my AR15-22s. In fact it worked flawlessly for me on the second day of the 2012 Ruger Rimfire World Championship when I decided I thought my 15-22 PC model was about to have a problem.
    I'm sorry but every .22 firearm is ammo sensitive. It is a blowback design and depending on the power of the recoil system some ammo will work and some will not. As for accuracy if you are not shooting past 25 yards they all shoot to about the same point. Some will be more accurate with one particular brand and type of ammo that others. As long as the ammo does not go supersonic they all have similar accuracy also.

You gotta be kidding, I wish I still lived in Md and I would introduce you to a S&W Mod 41 and you would get rid of that Buckmark .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alfontso

Latest threads

Top Bottom