• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

JRoCc

MDS Supporter
    Jun 2, 2010
    Earth
    Would it help to send emails asking the committee to request the bill be brought before everyone? Can they do that? I guess I'm asking what the work around is?

This.... we def need a work around. All this work in emailing etc etc to be put in a drawer is unacceptable.

thedaego

Jul 8, 2009
    Woodbine
    how is it decided who becomes chairman of that committee?

Great question. From what I can tell, according to this: http://www.msa.md.gov/msa/mdmanual/05sen/html/com/05judpf.html

"Eleven senators serve on this committee (Senate Rules 18; Code State Government Article, secs. 2-1103 through 2-1105)."​

However, I can't find any information on "(Senate Rules 18; Code State Government Article, secs. 2-1103 through 2-1105)".

Right now I'm pouring through these results from law.justia.com
    http://law.justia.com/lawsearch?cx=...:law.justia.com&sa=Search Justia&cof=FORID:11

Though this might just be a hell of a rabbit hole.

EDIT:
    House Speaker and Senate President are responsible for committee assignments in their respective chambers.

Thanks again Boondock. Sounds like his position is simply assigned and not voted on, then? Who assigned him the position? How do we get him out of there? Is that even possible?

squirrels

Who cooks for you?
    Jan 25, 2008
    He's the chairman of the Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee, where all of our bills are heard. The chairman of a committee, at his/her sole discretion, can choose to bring a bill up for a vote, or let it die quietly without one. If it never receives a vote in committee, absent some extremely rare circumstances, it never goes to the full Senate floor for a final vote.

Stop me if I'm wrong, but didn't this top-drawer veto stuff get him into political trouble over the civil immunity "castle doctrine" bill a little while back? It passed the house unanimously like 3 or 4 years in a row, and each time, Frosh refused to have it come up for a vote. If I recall correctly, even members of his own party were brow-beating him to allow the bill through the process and it eventually passed the Senate with similarly overwhelming numbers.

I think a similar approach needs to be taken with CCW reform. (i.e. "shall-issue" bills) If they pass the House enough times with enough support, eventually Frosh will have no choice but to let it come up for a vote in the Senate committee, lest his little "sidestep" of the Democratic process be publicly exposed.

I personally think support for "shall-issue" CCW laws are at an all-time high. I see people who I had pegged as "liberals" talking about acquiring out-of-state CCW permits. Except in the NorthEast and CA, shall-issue is the rule, not the exception.

The only way to evict Frosh is to show him for what he is...an enemy of the democratic process. And the only way to do that is repeatedly hand these bills across from the House with overwhelming support, so his desk-drawer vetoes become a front-and-center issue.

thedaego

Jul 8, 2009
    Woodbine
    The only way to evict Frosh is to show him for what he is...an enemy of the democratic process. And the only way to do that is repeatedly hand these bills across from the House with overwhelming support, so his desk-drawer vetoes become a front-and-center issue.

I like this idea. Is there anyone cataloging the data on how many of these bills he has silently 'desk-drawer vetoed'. <-- I think I learned a new term today.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    Gotta love the chairman moving back to the CCW issue and the LEOSA connection. Love how both retired cops testify to being able to provide multiple years of documented threats, but both don't think they would qualify based on the "standards exposed today".

w2kbr

MSI EM, NRA LM, SAF, AAFG
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 13, 2009
    Severn 21144
    You're right; it is a grind. There's absolutely no getting around that.

It's a grind for those of us doing well more than our fair share because folks like you have decided fighting for your rights simply isn't worth it.

Yea..and the interesting part of this is...last time I played around with numbers, Maryland's Pop. was around 5.7 Million (higher now I think) and the number of gun owners was about 2 Million...that's was about 35%. (probably higher now)

If all the guns owners were on top of things, we would have no problem...even if half of the Gun owners in Maryland really gave a Dang, we would be carrying as I type this.

Maybe I'll start researching the numbers again, just to see where we really are.......

Apathy folks, just plain ole fashion apathy......We need a good ole fashion grass roots uprising, a Civil Rights march on Annapolis..and soon

R

Last edited:

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    Conaway Jr with HB856...

AACO opposes...gotta love it when you present a bill that is not supported by the prosecutors...

JasonN3ZBO

Sep 7, 2010
    Lovettsville, VA
    I think a transcript of todays hearing needs to find its way to Allan Gura and let him submit it as evidence in the Wollard case. Clearly the state knows that this whole G&S clause is total B.S. Hell, they flat out admitted that they can't even define G&S, but it's at the core of whether you get a CCW or not. MD is crazy...

Any guesses on how many members in the house and senate possess either a MD CCW permit or an out of state one?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom