• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    Folks may not have seen this:

"A bill from Sen. Sarah K. Elfreth (D-Anne Arundel) and Del. Bernice D. Mireku-North (D-Montgomery) would levy an 11 percent excise tax on gun and ammunition manufacturers to feed the Maryland Trauma Physician Services Fund. That fund helps cover emergency medical care for severely injured patients — often people harmed in falls, car accidents or gun violence — and is supported by a $5 motor vehicle registration fee."

and:

"Gun rights advocates cast the lawmakers’ pitch Wednesday as an affront to constitutional rights. The lawmakers backing it, who include Sen. William C. Smith Jr. (D-Montgomery) and Dels. Emily Shetty (D-Montgomery), Jazz Lewis (D-Prince George’s) and Jessica Feldmark (D-Howard), say the measure will protect public health by not only paying for treatment but also funding programs that aim to prevent gun violence."

As an aside, Mireku-North is an unelected appointee to the delegate seat, and is backfill for the smirking anti-gunowner Eric Luedtke, who was given a post in the lesMoore admin.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    I believe the law is set up that, if any wear and carry permit holder shoots and kills anyone outside of his home, it will be minimum of manslaughter and couple gun charges.
    BGOS. Acute paranoia. There will be an investigation and circumstances will dictate the decision by the State's Attorney and/or Grand Jury.

pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    BGOS. Acute paranoia. There will be an investigation and circumstances will dictate the decision by the State's Attorney and/or Grand Jury.
    Perhaps. If a permit holder uses is weapon to defend Himself at a location where he was not supposed to be carrying, isn’t that a crime of unlawfully shooting someone and using a firearm in an unlawful manner?

My previous post was out of frustration

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Perhaps. If a permit holder uses is weapon to defend Himself at a location where he was not supposed to be carrying, isn’t that a crime of unlawfully shooting someone and using a firearm in an unlawful manner?

understandable.

Phoenix_1295

Creature of Life and Fire
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD

For those who can’t access Washington Post link, here’s another source -

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

No.

You'd be facing up to a 1 year penalty for being a permit holder and carrying in a place where you could not lawfully have it.

Just like a felon in possession who uses the firearm in self defense, so long as they can show it was self defense, they aren't not going to face homicide charges.

Self defense is self defense, it does not matter the means used.

That doesn't "absolve" of being a felon in possession in the eyes of the law. Just like being a HGP holder with a handgun in a place you should not have it does not absolve you of breaking that law. But it doesn't turn it into homicide if you use the handgun in self defense.*

I would hope like hell a prosecutor would exercise that discretion and not bring charges. But I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

*A note, some felony murder statutes specifically call out that self defense is not a defense to homicide if you are committing a forcible felony already. So you can't argue self defense is you are just an honest bank robber handing over a threating note and then someone pulls a gun on you. I mean, clear cut self defense, right that the honest bank robber pulls out a gun and shoots the guy, right?

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Again, no such law in State Statute....At most it would possession of a firearm in a restricted location.

Still BGOS, to include your latest one.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    The MGA can:

Screenshot_20240118-173240~2.png

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    Indeed. No self reporting or retraining required for non-permit holders;

"Requiring a person who holds a handgun permit and accidentally discharges a firearm to register within 90 days for a certain firearms safety training course and complete the course within 6 months of the incident; requiring the Secretary of State Police to revoke a handgun permit of a certain person who fails to successfully complete a certain firearms safety training course; requiring the Secretary to provide certain written notice to a person whose handgun permit is revoked; etc."

:crazy:
    Please fill out an online voluntary MSP form 22L if you accidentally discharge your carry weapon to self-report the incident...

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    There are bills trickling in, and I don't want to clog up this thread with a bazillion posts for each one (dblas is already doing a good job of separate threads).

Folks can go to the MGA website and use the Filter query for "firearm" or other keywords to see what is filed:

House: https://mgaleg.maryland.gov/mgawebsite/Legislation/Index/house
    Senate: https://mgaleg.maryland.gov/mgawebsite/Legislation/Index/senate

One particular bill that stands out because it has a bunch of cosponsors -

HB430 Insurance requirement for anyone "carrying" a firearm

(no exclusion for home carry; if convicted you supposedly "lose" your right to own/possess any firearm, but can get the charge dismissed pre-trial or remove the post-trial prohibition if you obtain said insurance coverage)

Synopsis

Altering the circumstances under which a person is disqualified from possessing a regulated firearm, a rifle, and a shotgun; prohibiting a person from wearing or carrying a firearm under certain circumstances unless the person has obtained certain liability insurance related to wearing and carrying a firearm up to $300,000; providing for the form and issuance of a citation for a violation of the Act; etc.

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    Synopsis

Altering the circumstances under which a person is disqualified from possessing a regulated firearm, a rifle, and a shotgun; prohibiting a person from wearing or carrying a firearm under certain circumstances unless the person has obtained certain liability insurance related to wearing and carrying a firearm up to $300,000; providing for the form and issuance of a citation for a violation of the Act; etc.
    Previously shot down (HAR!) in NJ, yes?

Mi.Lee

Jan 18, 2024
    Dundalk
    The new poll tax.
    I saw the news report but have not located the bill as of yet. That is definitely on my list of things I have to send an email to my friendly legislators about. Has anyone noticed that the pictures of the guns the Baltimore City Police are taking from the criminals? Even if they did not fire the gun, they have a less than full magazine with all kinds of rounds. Or is it just me? It is pretty evident that the criminals are not stocking up at bass pro before runs. I would think that one would carry a magazine with all the same ammo for consistency.

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    I saw the news report but have not located the bill as of yet. That is definitely on my list of things I have to send an email to my friendly legislators about. Has anyone noticed that the pictures of the guns the Baltimore City Police are taking from the criminals? Even if they did not fire the gun, they have a less than full magazine with all kinds of rounds. Or is it just me? It is pretty evident that the criminals are not stocking up at bass pro before runs. I would think that one would carry a magazine with all the same ammo for consistency.
    You idiot!

They are too busy getting trained up for their W&C and insurance shopping to worry about such trifles! :smack:

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    "We have got to confront this inexcusable fact that 75% of all homicides in Maryland are committed with a gun," Moore said. "This is a public safety crisis, but it's also a public health crisis.”
    Yup. We need to get those murders back to the classics, baseball bats and knives and other medieval methods. Those edged weapon deaths are rookie numbers! It's for The Health.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom