• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Required hours remain the same. Renewal remains the same the only thing that changes are the subjects added and this explicit curriculum.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    It does say that a projector PowerPoint presentation is required, which is insane, because they have only produced a PDF as far as I can tell.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Reading through this, I bumped into the “safe storage” section. How did I miss that after Oct 1, dealers may no longer sell new handguns that don’t have a built-in safety device that makes it inoperable unless deactivated? Which actually have such things - a few S&W revolvers? Ugh

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Interesting. Page 7 when explaining Castle Doctrine and justifiable use of force.....

Court of Appeals said in Crawford, a case in which the defendant fatally shot a younger man who was attempting to break into his home to beat and rob him:
    ● A man is not bound to retreat from his house. He may stand his ground there and kill an[y] person who attempts to commit a felony therein, or who attempts to enter by force for the purpose of committing a felony, or of inflicting great bodily harm upon an inmate. In such a case the owner or any member of the family, or even a lodger in the house, may meet the intruder at the threshold, and prevent him from entering by any means rendered necessary by the exigency, even to the taking of his life, and the homicide will be justifiable.[2

"Attempts to enter" So trying to bang down your door without actually entering. That's how I read it, but won't be the first recent test case.

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    Reading through this, I bumped into the “safe storage” section. How did I miss that after Oct 1, dealers may no longer sell new handguns that don’t have a built-in safety device that makes it inoperable unless deactivated? Which actually have such things - a few S&W revolvers? Ugh

That isn’t new for this year. Bore locks covered firearms that didn’t come with an internal locking device from the manufacturer.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Interesting. Page 7 when explaining Castle Doctrine and justifiable use of force.....

Court of Appeals said in Crawford, a case in which the defendant fatally shot a younger man who was attempting to break into his home to beat and rob him:
    ● A man is not bound to retreat from his house. He may stand his ground there and kill an[y] person who attempts to commit a felony therein, or who attempts to enter by force for the purpose of committing a felony, or of inflicting great bodily harm upon an inmate. In such a case the owner or any member of the family, or even a lodger in the house, may meet the intruder at the threshold, and prevent him from entering by any means rendered necessary by the exigency, even to the taking of his life, and the homicide will be justifiable.[2

"Attempts to enter" So trying to bang down your door without actually entering. That's how I read it, but won't be the first recent test case.
    Yeah, but it's the "for the purpose of committing a felony, or of inflicting great bodily harm" that will still get the homeowner jacked up. If the homeowner follows Joe Biden's advice and uses a shotgun to shoot them through that closed door, they'd have to affirmatively prove that the person they didn't even lay eyes on when they pulled the trigger was about to commit a felony ... as opposed to, say, being drunk and disorderly, or intending to steal a house plant worth five dollars (not felonies). Home owner still needs to have magic powers of discernment as to the intent and state of mind of the person beating down the door.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Yeah, but it's the "for the purpose of committing a felony, or of inflicting great bodily harm" that will still get the homeowner jacked up. If the homeowner follows Joe Biden's advice and uses a shotgun to shoot them through that closed door, they'd have to affirmatively prove that the person they didn't even lay eyes on when they pulled the trigger was about to commit a felony ... as opposed to, say, being drunk and disorderly, or intending to steal a house plant worth five dollars (not felonies). Home owner still needs to have magic powers of discernment as to the intent and state of mind of the person beating down the door.
    Yes, it basically explains it has to be MR&MRS LAMB felonies.

It says intent to commit a "felony within".

JollyPedro

Aug 15, 2022
    St Mary's County

I got into a debate about this very thing a few months back and im glad to get some clarification now.....Would still like to see more on it, but im sure this would help out someone on trial....

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Screenshot 2023-09-05 123656.png

Looks like this wags the finger at the f^ckwad that chose to make the qualification more difficult for ego-reasons. It also looks like it provides clarity specifically for worth-a-shot that uses UTM NMRs in their shooting. It's interesting all shooting is done two-handed without a 1-handed component. That'll help a lot of people out.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012

Two things:

A lodger is someone spending the night there. Suppose I'm over at my neighbor's house having a cup of coffee and a crazy person tries to break in?

When does knocking become banging become the guy now in your foyer?

I don't really understand Castle doctrine vs. normal self defense.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I got into a debate about this very thing a few months back and im glad to get some clarification now.....Would still like to see more on it, but im sure this would help out someone on trial....
    That being said, the only situation I would "shoot through the door", would be if someone is getting ready to lob a Molotov cocktail.
    The thing about having them break the threshold getting in, it shows the threat's intention of doing something.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Two things:

A lodger is someone spending the night there. Suppose I'm over at my neighbor's house having a cup of coffee and a crazy person tries to break in?

When does knocking become banging become the guy now in your foyer?

Well, retreat mostly. Or not having to.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Loosely, you could legally kill someone who's in your house approaching you with intent to commit grievous bodily harm or worse ... but if that same person did it to you on a sidewalk, your first obligation is to run for it. If you COULD have run for it outdoors and you didn't, you're in trouble. Same doesn't apply in your house (Castle doctrine).

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Loosely, you could legally kill someone who's in your house approaching you with intent to commit grievous bodily harm or worse ... but if that same person did it to you on a sidewalk, your first obligation is to run for it. If you COULD have run for it outdoors and you didn't, you're in trouble. Same doesn't apply in your house (Castle doctrine).
    It's your obligation if feasible. I am a fan of retreat if possible because if a threat keeps coming, they are satisfying the intent portion Means, Opportunity, and Intent.

RennBaer

Aug 16, 2022
    NY-istan

An interesting recent case of this situation is the guy in Texas who shot through his closed apartment door at two individuals who were clearly armed (and who he identified as armed via his video doorbell) and attempting kick down the door and enter his apartment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom