• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    This might piss some people off but the DNR really needs to start setting some serious limits on our fisheries and crabs. Especially for the commercial guys. But they won't because the commercial guys cry the blues to much about how they can't make a living. One day it will be to late then everyone will suffer. I have lived in MD my whole life and I can tell you about the decline of the bay. It is very sad. The 2 week rockfish closure in the summer is a joke. It should be at least a month or even two. Most of the rockfish being caught in the hot summer weather don't survive even after being released. I will just stop here. It pisses me off and I could go on and on.

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    We have probably the biggest estuary on the east coast and many species of fish and the blue crab depend on it to feed and breed. Instead of DNR finding or fixing the problems they always restrict the recreational guy. Ii basically gave up rock fishing because its a joke and an insult on the recreational guy. I take more time and gas to catch one fish. Now the crabbing for recreational is not too bad. I only need a few dozen as dont want to waste them. I have seen many species depleted in the bay growing up around it. Use to have huge bluefish every spring come all the way up around millers island and also into the Patapsco. Now only see the later smaller blues. Mainly loss of the alewives that Omega protein was raping from the mouth of the bay before they could come up north. Used to be thick but not like it used to be. Yellow perch are not like they used to and they still have commercial netting for them. Ddont see hard heads and croakers up north anymore either. Even the eels are very less plentiful. Should close all crabbing for a couple years here. Also many commercial caught crabs are shipped elsewhere. Think about it now. We have the bay here and crabs but paying ridiculous and outrages prices for them. I think what is caught in MD. should have to stay in Maryland. They bay is being raped clean.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    We have probably the biggest estuary on the east coast and many species of fish and the blue crab depend on it to feed and breed. Instead of DNR finding or fixing the problems they always restrict the recreational guy. Ii basically gave up rock fishing because its a joke and an insult on the recreational guy. I take more time and gas to catch one fish. Now the crabbing for recreational is not too bad. I only need a few dozen as dont want to waste them. I have seen many species depleted in the bay growing up around it. Use to have huge bluefish every spring come all the way up around millers island and also into the Patapsco. Now only see the later smaller blues. Mainly loss of the alewives that Omega protein was raping from the mouth of the bay before they could come up north. Used to be thick but not like it used to be. Yellow perch are not like they used to and they still have commercial netting for them. Ddont see hard heads and croakers up north anymore either. Even the eels are very less plentiful. Should close all crabbing for a couple years here. Also many commercial caught crabs are shipped elsewhere. Think about it now. We have the bay here and crabs but paying ridiculous and outrages prices for them. I think what is caught in MD. should have to stay in Maryland. They bay is being raped clean.
    You nailed it on every aspect. It is the biggest estuary in the US though. Between the Susquehanna crap traveling down the bay and the depletion of the menhaden and the more lax rules in VA, we are at the mercy of many. From a fishing standpoint, the blues used to be 24-30" or more in the bay. Croakers are pretty much gone as you said. Those were some good times. Female crabs shouldn't be allowed to be caught as someone previously mentioned.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    The huge harvest of the Menhaden and Alewives are the largest cause of destruction of the bay, and no one in power wants to admit it. Rockfish would fill up on the fish, but with them gone they eat more small crabs and perch. It is not rocket science.

Also, the Menhaden and Alewives are filter feeders and would clean the algae in he bay out. Algae that we feed with excess nutrient run off and sewage leak's. But Omega lobbies to continue harvesting. Those little fish could save the bay more than all the money we waste trying foolish plans.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    The Environmental impact of industrial farming and Commercial fishing, both the food source (menhaden) and direct fishing IS 90% of the problem.
    Politicians are to spineless to address the actual problem. Look at crime,, EVERYONE knows what the problem is,, but they restrict the law abiding person and leave the real problem unaddressed.

DaveP

Jan 27, 2013
    St. Marys county
    I cant comprehend why they allow any females crabs to be kept at all.

Tuck Hines published a paper over a decade ago comparing the amount of sperm in blue crabs in heavily harvested areas ( MD) vs less heavily harvested areas.

Turns out, males crabs here, are WAY lower. They grab a female, spawn, and on to the next one.

Unfortunately, tie up another female BEFORE they recharge.
    So, functionally, shooting blanks.
    So that pairing is low/ no yield, and that females reproductive potential wasted as well.

So shortage of males available to spawn, successfully, may be more of an issue than the over harvest of females.

Never heard much about it since publication.

DaveP

Jan 27, 2013
    St. Marys county
    I
    I thought it has been a 1 bushel limit?
    Was one bushel per rec license, two bushel per boat if TWO on board licensed. So one total now, regardless of # licenses on board.

And this is only thru June, so suspect more cuts in July.

Why isn't the non res crabbing license $100? Or more?
    Talking to YOU, Pennsylvania.

Lol, SC wants $500 for non res RECREATIONAL shrimping license.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    The seafood industry has way too much political leverage in regards to violations, over-harvesting and poaching. They do whatever they want nearly without impunity enabling criminal behavior. The criminality in the entire culture in some but not all respects is all but beyond absurdity and clearly outside the realm of the pale.

Theirs a lot of shitbag waterman. Theirs also a lot of them that operate in accordance to regulation which may even be a greater number.
    But more importantly theirs a contingent of shit bag worthless lawyers, state and county local officials, political hacks, drug pushers and incompetent law enforcement agencies that over look whats really going on that have more influence on the stereo typical face of the problem than complaints from sportsman.

Not to mention, restaurateurs who exacerbate the problem all the while building tiki decks, daily specials and providing feel good advertising that masks underlying issues for the rank and file public that happens to be festooned with alcohol advertisements used to help dull senses provided by other bottom feeders in a leisure environment.

Biologist and environmentalist are on the same bandwagon more than likely. Securing jobs and entry level prosperity without being effective in identifying root cause, communicating issues on a broader scope for increased voter knowledge and demographics base, or even introduction for alternative thinking in early learning institutions.
    Maybe becuase they dont want to jeopardize funding/ grants employment in their social climb to John Kerrys lawn party or something. Who knows?

The above statements in preceding posts and contained textually here are absolutely true in regards to leadership problems. Its systemic and ingrained in the local culture. Continuous and never ending. Disgusting and corrupt. Without interference by judicial process.
    I would simply point out the AG sec who just paid out for baiting waterfowl and Judge Newell who offed himself not to awful long ago for abusing a child which is the least of what could be discovered if someone really looked into things objectively and from an unprohibited perspective and realistic standpoint.

Knowing how to fish crab goes a long way too for a successful outdoor venture. Even in the worst of environments. Your results are exactly what you put into things. Some times luck, and help from above plays a part.
    I think a one bushel per boat a day really only is designed as a deterrent and a means of interference for the roles of the factions mentioned above.
    If you want to find an animal abuser, look no farther than to where they bury the dogs. You'll not find that answer recorded in courthouse documents.

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    Tuck Hines published a paper over a decade ago comparing the amount of sperm in blue crabs in heavily harvested areas ( MD) vs less heavily harvested areas.

Turns out, males crabs here, are WAY lower. They grab a female, spawn, and on to the next one.

Unfortunately, tie up another female BEFORE they recharge.
    So, functionally, shooting blanks.
    So that pairing is low/ no yield, and that females reproductive potential wasted as well.

So shortage of males available to spawn, successfully, may be more of an issue than the over harvest of females.

Never heard much about it since publication.
    Pay the Menhaden bastards not to fish or shut them down. The increased taxes to be accrued from a healthy Bay fishery would pay for this.

Implement a moratorium on catching sooks. What is never mentioned is that you can not tell if a mature female crab aka Sook is pregnant or saving sperm for later and about to be before she starts "showing", (sponge crabs). The continuing argument has been that it there is no harm done to catch Sooks because they can not breed again after transitioning from a Sally to a Sook after the terminal molt. This is total BS. See below:

"Unlike most marine organisms, blue crabs mate and spawn at different times. During mating the male crab transfers his sperm into special sac-like receptacles in the female crab. These receptacles store the male's sperm so that it can be used for egg fertilization at a later time."

"Later time" is probably once the Sook becomes nice and fat to have the energy to used stored sperm to fertilize their eggs to produce 2 MILLION baby crabs per Sook. This equates to potentially 14 million zoea, (larva/baby crab) per dozen Sooks, or about 84 million per bushel. I know only a fraction of these will make it to spawning size but the potential is enormous. My $.02

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom