• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    The injection mold was almost certainly made with CNC. Draft angles, shrinkage compensation, flow simulation for injection gate placement, etc. are best handled by building the design in CAD, and if the mold is designed in CAD, it makes no sense from a cost perspective to not use CNC (milling, EDM, etc.) to fabricate the mold parts. Again, it depends how far back in the manufacturing process MD wants to go to decide what's compliant.

What interpretation do you think Brian Frosh will promulgate?

Doesn’t matter, an 80% lower is not a firearm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tebonski

Jan 23, 2013
    Harford County
    Will the barrel have manufacturer's markings on it, or is everybody filing those off? What about the upper receiver or in the case of a handgun, the slide? Once they have a name of some manufactured part on the gun, how hard is it to subpoena a witness from that company knowledgeable about the manufacturing process and then ask said witness on the stand how the specific part was manufactured?

The firearm is the receiver. If the owner made the receiver and remains silent on how the receiver was finished how does a prosecutor prove anything? The rifle has a hand finished receiver and might contain a conglomeration of parts from numerous different companies. Are you saying that the state can prove a receiver was CNC finished if a Ruger representative says their barrel is on the hand finished receiver? Will that obtain a conviction?

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    The firearm is the receiver. If the owner made the receiver and remains silent on how the receiver was finished how does a prosecutor prove anything? The rifle has a hand finished receiver and might contain a conglomeration of parts from numerous different companies. Are you saying that the state can prove a receiver was CNC finished if a Ruger representative says their barrel is on the hand finished receiver? Will that obtain a conviction?

That's the point of the "this law is unenforceable argument"

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County

We all understand that the lower receiver by itself is considered a firearm. I think what Fabs is saying is that when the lower is mated with the upper, then the entire thing, including the upper is also part of the firearm. Any part on the firearm that was created using a CNC or similar computer controlled device would make the rest of the firearm banned.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    We all understand that the lower receiver by itself is considered a firearm. I think what Fabs is saying is that when the lower is mated with the upper, then the entire thing, including the upper is also part of the firearm. Any part on the firearm that was created using a CNC or similar computer controlled device would make the rest of the firearm banned.

No, the defintion of manufacturing a firearm is completing the receiver.

The rest is simply dressing, no different under law than installing grips, mounting a scope, bluing, painting or Ceracoating

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

A firearm equals all of the parts assembled to create said firearm, not just the receiver. People need to stop concentrating on just the receiver and consider the entire parts collection needed.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    A firearm equals all of the parts assembled to create said firearm, not just the receiver. People need to stop concentrating on just the receiver and consider the entire parts collection needed.

I believe you are correct and that the correct answer is in fact both. A receiver is considered a firearm as is a receiver attached to an upper. Seems that anything on any part of the firearm fabricated on a CNC machine would disqualify it. Don't believe me, read the bill itself.

4–204

(a) (1) In this section, “firearm” means:

(i) a weapon that expels, is designed to expel, or may readily be
    converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive; or

(ii) the frame or receiver of such a weapon.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I believe you are correct and that the correct answer is in fact both. A receiver is considered a firearm as is a receiver attached to an upper. Seems that anything on any part of the firearm fabricated on a CNC machine would disqualify it. Don't believe me, read the bill itself.

4–204

(a) (1) In this section, “firearm” means:

(i) a weapon that expels, is designed to expel, or may readily be
    converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive; or

(ii) the frame or receiver of such a weapon.

Thanks Mega, I am familiar with Maryland law.

I was replying to Tebonski, who keeps thinking that the only concern is the receiver and not ALL of the parts of a firearm used to assemble said firearm.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Thanks Mega, I am familiar with Maryland law.

I was replying to Tebonski, who keeps thinking that the only concern is the receiver and not ALL of the parts of a firearm used to assemble said firearm.

I know you were. I appreciate you telling him that I am not stupid for me.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    So we'll have make all the parts by hand? Cool. Completely untraceable. Sorta defeats the reason for the bill in the first place.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

jefflac02

Dec 28, 2016
    A first for me. Twitter shamed a mommy into pulling her post of supporting HB 740 and Atterbeary. And I got another delegate to jump in on the Dem stupid train.
    86ce618818e42592ecd046d065902810.jpg
    4281c84d5cafd273c611e521326eacf5.jpg
    fc48120a3df420dd4e7a7a33b993bd55.jpg
    b21e9eef2fe9d6edc25a538007a4a38a.jpg
    and deleted tweet by the mommy.
    b210b24cc4c0520330541387ef6d57cd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sundaeman

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 16, 2008
    I just realized something. What happens to a home made AOW for example that's registered with the ATF with a self assigned serial number. No serial number from a FFL but a serial number registered with the ATF under a Form 1?

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    No, the defintion of manufacturing a firearm is completing the receiver.

The rest is simply dressing, no different under law than installing grips, mounting a scope, bluing, painting or Ceracoating

Attorneys?

I just realized something. What happens to a home made AOW for example that's registered with the ATF with a self assigned serial number. No serial number from a FFL but a serial number registered with the ATF under a Form 1?
    Bill says FFL issued ser. # ......

IANAL !

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom