• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Way too much wind out there right now. Combine that with all of the leaves and underbrush, they could walk right by you and you'd never hear or see them.

Good Luck this afternoon.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I'm heading out about noon for the evening hunt. I want to be in a tree when the wind finally stops.

If it doesn’t, just rememebr to aim at a 45 degree angle to the deer to account for wind drift :lol2:

Good luck! Good time to spot and stalk. They don’t move much, but they also have a much harder time hearing or seeing you until you are close.

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    No bucks tonight but had 8 does. This picture has 7 of them.

Attachments

• IMG_20171030_181928.jpg
      IMG_20171030_181928.jpg
      121.6 KB · Views: 210

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    #1 son had a nice morning.
    Nice congrats!

Welp! It's official now.

Skunked again during early muzzleloader season. In the woods six times and not a deer to be seen.

This happened last year too. Do once great deer locations just dry up? Effing deer just relocate?

Beyond maddening and disappointing.

PS: Congrats to those of you who know what a dead deer looks like.
    The change patterns, but lots has to do with hunting pressure. They may switch to nocturnal. You may not see them but at night the usual suspects are in the same area.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Saw a nice 130+ class 8-point this afternoon run within 20yds of my stand.

Oh wait, no that was actually by my car right at 695 and 70, Driving home from work.

So, asking for a friend, where is the checkbox for “car” on my big game harvest record? Just in case next time. :-D

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Okay, how many of us would like to trade places with this hunter? I've never seen such a buck anywhere. No TV show, nothing. I wonder if he is going to hang up his hunting rifles? Is there any reason to hunt after you take down this hoss?

Amazing.

Video's a little long but my goodness, this would be the hunt of a lifetime.

[YT]k7nMtXQZnfw[/YT]

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    I get to play! Finally...

This will be a long story. If you just want the climax, just skip to the pictures :)

Halloween started off pretty shittily. I went to the funeral of the sister of my best friend growing up, which made her an honorary sister to me. So that sucked. I figured I'd take the rest of the day to hunt a tree stand where I had this picture from a few days before:

Attachments

• MFDC1761.jpg
      MFDC1761.jpg
      79.2 KB · Views: 175

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    ...con't:

it's a crap picture, but I had a feeling he was something good. I hunted the next evening (10/26) in that stand to try my luck. I had some does and a spike around, but didn't see any big boys. Packed up at the end of legal shooting light, and drove out. The road out is about 80 yards behind my stand, and on the other side of the road, I see him. He was heading my way, but didn't get started early enough. Encouraged, I hunted the same stand the following morning (10/27). I saw some more deer, but not big boy.

So on Halloween, the after-funeral luncheon was about 5 miles from my stand, so I figured I'd just go over there and sit from about 2pm on, and hope for this guy to show. I'm heading that way when I get a call from a chimney guy I've been waiting on...he'll be at my house at 2:30. I want to meet with him, so I turn around and head home, figuring I can still be to my stand by 3:30. He doesn't show until 3:30. I'm anxious to get going, so he's no further out of the driveway when I'm changed and right behind him.

I get to my spot at about 4....knowing it's dangerously late. I already passed 4 deer by the road making their way towards my stand...I would jump them for sure. I'm getting my final gear on when the neighbor sees me, comes over, and starts chit-chatting. He shows me his new shop, tells me about the work he's having done around the house, and talks about the giant buck that he saw once last year. I tell him I think I have in on camera, and he says to make sure I show him pics if I get him.

Approaching 4:30, I finally make the walk towards my stand. I get 50 feet away, and a deer sticks his head up out of the brush, 50 feet on the other side of my stand. Antlers everywhere. It's him. He's alerted to me, and I know what's coming next. The White Flag of a dead hunt...he's high-tailing it out of there.

Suck a duck.

I climb up anyways, hoping he'll forget about lil'-ol' me, and chase some does around. I'm amped up knowing he's in the area. I see him across the field...300 yards away. Going the wrong way. Crap. Trees block my view out that way, so I can't tell if he continues going the wrong way, or if he turns back my way. I start to get bummed out.

A doe comes in with 4 yearlings. She's a big girl...probably would dress out at 115. I decide to wait. Another doe comes leisurely in. Then running...it's a doe and a fawn...being chased! I look through the trees to see who it is...he's running in. He clears the trees....and he's a spike. Bastard. Deer scatter, but stay close. I then realize I have 9 sets of eyes, both in front of and behind me. That'll make things difficult. No sooner than that thought passes, here's more running...and grunting. LOTS of grunting. It's him. His head is down, and he charges in to the scene. The rest of the deer are focused on him. I draw back, wait for him to clear the last branch, calm the fever by pausing to say to myself: "Aim small, miss small, Dave". And I let it fly.

I hit within 2" of where I was aiming. Smoked him....I thought. He goes about 20 yards, stops, and looks around. I'm sure he's going down right there. I'm pumped! First wall-hanger in 5 years. I had to have hit his heart with that shot. But he keeps walking! The sinking feeling comes...

He beds down, gets, up, beds down again, gets up again, and walks behind the trees where I can't see, about 50 yards away. If I can sneak out of my stand, I'll have the tree between me and him, and maybe I can range another shot on him. I try it. By the time I get down, I can't see him. Anywhere. No idea which way he went. A little further sinking...

I give it 30 minutes, but don't want to wait longer. If he's bedded up and I can get close enough for a followup shot, I only have minutes of daylight to do it. I go to where he first bedded down. Good blood! Not lung, and not a lot, but bright red. Same thing at second bedding spot. I'm encouraged. I trail for a bit longer, and the blood gets thinner. I lose the trail a few times. I constantly scan ahead with the flashlight, but nothing.

I follow the last trajectory of blood, and it takes me to the road. Would he risk crossing? I look down, and there's one spot of blood right at the edge of the road. He had considered it the same as I had. I shine the light up...and a pair of eyes are looking right back at me, 40 yards away! They're watching me, but the deer isn't running away. I can't see antlers, but I know it's him, and that he doesn't have much time left. But to be safe, I leave. When in doubt: Back out.

So I go home, carve a pumpkin with my wife, and wait for the neighbor to get home from trick-or-treating with his kids. I'm as nervous as a one-legged cat on a hot tin roof. I head back, neighbor in tow, after a couple hours. I formulate a plan. If I see eyes again, I'll take another shot, in the dark. I hate to have animals suffer. If I don't, he's either dead, or moved again. I get to the spot, shine the light...and eyes again, looking back at me. Crap. I talk it over with my neighbor, and we formulate a plan. I'll park, put the 40-yard pin where I best think the vitals are, and pray for a good shot. Then he says: "Those eyes were odd...they were really close together". Then it clicks...he's right. Those weren't deer eyes...they were a fox's...which means the deer is dead! I say my revelation out loud, and start running over to him. Sure enough, he's done. Probably didn't last much longer after I had left before.

So here's the biggest deer I've seen on this property, and my first wall-hanger in five long years. 12 points in all, with the brow-tine kickers. I'm pretty pleased :)

Attachments

• CIMG0572.jpg
      CIMG0572.jpg
      121.7 KB · Views: 168
    • CIMG0558.jpg
      CIMG0558.jpg
      116.4 KB · Views: 169

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Beautiful buck Dave! The big ones are on their feet in daylight. I've seen shooters every night this week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom