• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    I did a DIY flyout hunt for moose and caribou in Alaska this fall with one of my best friends – he was after moose, and I had both moose and caribou tags, but wouldn’t use my moose tag unless he got one. We flew out of Tok, Alaska with 40 Mile Air, a safe and reputable transporter into the Alaskan Interior.

When we flew in on September 7, there was lots of snow on the mountains around Tok – the first time there has ever been snow on those mountains on my fly-in day! Were we in for early snow and cold weather??

DSCN0985.jpg

DSCN0992.jpg

DSCN0995.jpg

When we were dropped off on a remote ridgetop, we had some visitors curious to see who had dropped into the neighborhood.

DSCN1005.jpg

DSCN1007.jpg

DSCN1011.jpg

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    A few pics of our camp and the surrounding area.

DSCN1012.jpg

DSCN1017.jpg

DSCN1015.jpg

DSCN1019.jpg

Gotta locate a water source when you do a remote wilderness camp - we were able to locate a natural spring about 600 yards from our campsite. Although this water may have been fine to drink without filtering, we chose to filter and be safe. Don’t want any stomach issues when you’re far off the road system!

DSCN1128.jpg

DSCN1059.jpg

DSCN1022.jpg

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    We were primarily trying to get a moose for my buddy, and would take a caribou if the opportunity presented itself. While we saw 11 bull moose, and called several in from a couple miles out, we weren’t able to determine that any were legal before running out of light on a few different nights. A couple pics of me calling – I lost most of my voice for a few days trying to reach out across several miles of country.

DSCN1102.jpg

DSCN1103.jpg

On the 8th day we saw a nice group of caribou on a distant ridge, and my buddy wanted to go after them. I told him it would be quite a pack back to the ridgetop if we got one, but agreed to make the chase. In our haste to make up ground on the caribou (they’re famous for wandering off before you can get to them) we descended this steep rock slope; we took pics at the bottom and agreed that we wouldn’t be returning to camp that way!

DSCN1114.jpg

DSCN1110.jpg

After about a 1.5 mile jaunt we snuck to within 275 yards of this nice bull, and I was able to get him with my .338 Winchester Magnum. Possibly my largest caribou to date, this guy had a lot of fat and lots of good meat!

DSCN1119.jpg

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    My buddy with my caribou, and getting his packframe ready for a 2-mile jaunt back to the airstrip that included a stream crossing and about 1500 feet of elevation gain. After 2 loads apiece, we had all of the meat and the antlers back to the ridgetop.

DSCN1116.jpg

DSCN1113.jpg

A few more pics of the area we hunted. We had great weather after seeing the early snow in Tok – it rained some on 2 different nights, but we didn’t get any rain during the daylight hours and had lots of sunshine. Typically on these remote Alaska hunts, you’re stuck in the tent for 1-2 days due to rain, wind, and fog.

DSCN1124.jpg

DSCN1069.jpg

DSCN1079.jpg

DSCN1086.jpg

DSCN1027.jpg

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Nice Bull
    My first and last caribou hunt was with a shady outfit in Quebec. Miserable weather, black flies, when it wasn't snowing or raining. The owner would radio everyday that the herd was heading toward our camp, meanwhile the fisherman flying in and out didn't see a one.
    About 1/2 the group got one the day after the last day (fogged in) there was a small group of 10 local caribou we could see on a nearby peninsula. We all went tearing off in street clothes and boats with no life preservers.
    I am proud to say I did not shoot at a swimming caribou and I did not get one.

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    Nice Bull
    My first and last caribou hunt was with a shady outfit in Quebec. Miserable weather, black flies, when it wasn't snowing or raining. The owner would radio everyday that the herd was heading toward our camp, meanwhile the fisherman flying in and out didn't see a one.
    About 1/2 the group got one the day after the last day (fogged in) there was a small group of 10 local caribou we could see on a nearby peninsula. We all went tearing off in street clothes and boats with no life preservers.
    I am proud to say I did not shoot at a swimming caribou and I did not get one.

Good on you for not shooting one swimming, I wouldn't do that either. Sorry to hear that your hunt didn't go as hoped.

Alaska has some shady outfitters too, that's one reason I stick purely with a transporter (someone who just flies you into the field and picks you up at the end of the hunt, you do everything else). The biggest things I look for are a safe flying record and a history of not dropping hunters close to each other. 40 Mile is top-notch in both those areas, so I am a frequent customer.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    man that is awesome! you guys must be in great shape. i was dying to try for an elk this year but even for 2nd rifle my fat ass just isn't ready. i need the BIL to take me into the mountains next year. i would end up dead alone.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Did you bring any meat home? Back in the day you could travel with a couple coolers.

I met a guy on a hunt, don't remember his name that was an editor for American Hunter. His moose got lost for a day or two. He went to the airport to pick it up 2 days later and he could smell it. He turned around without claiming his moose.

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    Did you bring any meat home? Back in the day you could travel with a couple coolers.

I met a guy on a hunt, don't remember his name that was an editor for American Hunter. His moose got lost for a day or two. He went to the airport to pick it up 2 days later and he could smell it. He turned around without claiming his moose.

I have 2 sisters who live in Anchorage, and a whole bunch of relatives who don't get to hunt as much anymore - so almost all of the meat went to my sisters, who trimmed it and shared it with a bunch of people. We did bring back the backstraps and part of a hindquarter, so we have some good eating to look forward to. We froze the meat overnight and checked a small cooler as a checked bag.

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    man that is awesome! you guys must be in great shape. i was dying to try for an elk this year but even for 2nd rifle my fat ass just isn't ready. i need the BIL to take me into the mountains next year. i would end up dead alone.

I did 1,500 miles on my road bicycle to prepare for the trip - walking on the tundra/taiga can be a pain in the ass and wear on you mentally.

My buddy has been to Alaska twice before, and knew what we were getting into - but never really made the time to get his legs in shape. On the second packload back to the ridgetop, I probably could have shuttled 2 full loads in the time it took him to do one. I told him if he ever goes back again for moose, he'll have to be in much better shape than he was this year.

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    I did 1,500 miles on my road bicycle to prepare for the trip - walking on the tundra/taiga can be a pain in the ass and wear on you mentally.

My buddy has been to Alaska twice before, and knew what we were getting into - but never really made the time to get his legs in shape. On the second packload back to the ridgetop, I probably could have shuttled 2 full loads in the time it took him to do one. I told him if he ever goes back again for moose, he'll have to be in much better shape than he was this year.

How well did the biking do to prepare you? Biking is a great workout, but hiking/walking and cycling use some different muscle groups. I have biked around 5k miles in the last year, I should really go for a run to see how it goes :) I have always wondered how the two forms of exercise relate.

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    How well did the biking do to prepare you? Biking is a great workout, but hiking/walking and cycling use some different muscle groups. I have biked around 5k miles in the last year, I should really go for a run to see how it goes :) I have always wondered how the two forms of exercise relate.

I used to race bicycles, and can warn you - that first run might be an eye-opener! You never really extend your legs fully on a bike, and running is a different motion - if you're like me, you will feel like you're running in a phone booth the first few times, trying to get your legs to stretch out comfortably.

As for cycling prepping me for Alaska - I do a lot of 25-mile rides, with a few small hills included. That's good for building a repetitive motion that isn't unlike the motion you need to walk on the tundra or to ascend a ridge with a loaded pack. I find that I'm able to shoulder the packload, start off, and keep a steady pace because my legs are fit, while my hunt companions seem to need more breaks when walking with a full pack.

joemac

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2010
    West Point Va
    Great pics. Beyond cool man. Dream hunt. My father in law has a friend who owns a place in Soldotna. He invites me every year but swear I'm going to get to Alaska one of these years. He told me in August you better come I'm going to die one of these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom