• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FI$H

Oct 11, 2011
    Im looking to build my second AR and was wanting to build this one for accuracy so I was thinking of going with a 20"-24" barrel. Here is the kicker I want to also make this build as light as I can.

Do you guys have any good options for me?

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    What distances are you wanting to shoot? Scoped? These seem to be the variables you want to define before proceeding. Personally, I am also looking at getting a precision AR: scoped and aiming for 600yd accuracy and not much further. I am pretty much set on 18" - 20" barrel. 24" just seems too long for me.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    My BCM 20" didn't come with rails so you can add whatever you like. I went with Magpul MOE handguards and the overall weight really isn't bad at all. Harry and the rest of the gun Connection crew were all a little surprised I think at how light the total rifle tunred out to be.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    20" should be plenty for 600yds. Remember that your ammo choice is going to play a huge role when going those distances.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    Fulton Armory 24" varmit upper on a POF lower. PRS stock, Chip McCormick 3lb trigger, Weaver Extreme scope on heave Badger Ord steel rings.

If you want LIGHT, this is not it. Of course it will shoot the wings off a fruit fly at 200 yards... ;)

The 20" rig below it is several pounds lighter and nearly as accurate out to about 300 yards.

bb6b4a62.jpg

63868e0c.jpg

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    My BCM 20" didn't come with rails so you can add whatever you like. I went with Magpul MOE handguards and the overall weight really isn't bad at all. Harry and the rest of the gun Connection crew were all a little surprised I think at how light the total rifle tunred out to be.

This. The 20" government profile really isn't that bad. Any increased weight (which is negligible over the M4) is offset by increased velocity and sight radius (if you are using irons).

I'm loving my A4 build... can't wait to get a BCG in it then take it to the range for its Christening. :thumbsup:

I would say a 24" barrel is kind of ridiculous unless you're a long-range varmint shooter and load your own ammo so you can find which load is most efficient in that longer barrel. The M16/AR-15 was originally developed as a 20" rifle, and it's been working well ever since.

the Javid

Part time baby killer
    Mar 20, 2012
    Bowie
    Heavier barrels tend to be more accurate so you will have a hard time trying to find an accurate light 20 to 24 inch barreled ar15.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom