• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rollinrock

Oct 1, 2013
    if ya go to gray beard outdoors, and look under the h&r section. they will have any thing you ever wanted to know about harrington and richardson. as well as new england firearms. the thing you have to watch is the height of the hammer some scopes the power adjustment is to big and the hammer will hit it. only certain brands will work. make sure you do your home work before purchasing your scope. you will need something that will withstand the recoil, and clear the hammer.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I won a 20ga H&R slug gun a couple weeks ago at the North Beach VFD Gun Bash and I was wondering what is the best scope for it
    I'd put a 2-7x on it, or a straight 4x. These things are amazingly accurate and not at all bad to shoot.
    if ya go to gray beard outdoors, and look under the h&r section. they will have any thing you ever wanted to know about harrington and richardson. as well as new england firearms. the thing you have to watch is the height of the hammer some scopes the power adjustment is to big and the hammer will hit it. only certain brands will work. make sure you do your home work before purchasing your scope.
    Good points.
    you will need something that will withstand the recoil, and clear the hammer.
    Clear the hammer: Yes.
    Recoil: Not really. With the long heavy barrel and in 20 gauge chambering, these shotguns are not at all bad for recoil. Barring a 12 gauge 3" coach gun or 9# .458, a lot of "felt recoil" is management anyway. Any decent quality scope that will withstand a regular centerfire rifle will be fine on the H&R slug gun.

Vandy

Feb 27, 2007
    Churchton, MD
    I have had a 2-7x, 3-9s, and fixed 4x on my H&R over the years. Currently has the 3-9 but I think a 4x was probably perfect for that gun.

Add a hammer spur if it doesn't already have one. With practice it is very easy to reload quickly. I added a shell holder on the stock and have never felt the need to use my old pump for deer hunting.

A piece of advice is to try as many different slugs as possible. With some brands, lightfields in particular, my H&R 20 gauge is more accurate than I am and on a good day I can get clover leafs at 100 yards. With other brands (hornady SST and Remington Copper Solids), my H&R shoots more of what I would consider a pattern at 100 than a group.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom