• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JRILE

Jan 9, 2011
    Rising Sun, MD
    1. Can you change the caliber of an AR-15 by changing its upper receiver?

2. Is it the Lower, or Upper receiver that is regulated?

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    change the upper to change caliber, I think the buffer may need to change for some.
    The lower receiver is the serialized part and is regulated. Kind of crazy to wait 7 days for a hunk of aluminum with no moving parts:sad20:
    There is a group buy for ar lowers just starting out $84 total cost

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    1. Can you change the caliber of an AR-15 by changing its upper receiver?

2. Is it the Lower, or Upper receiver that is regulated?

1. Yes

2. Most people will claim that the lower is "regulated" but nowhere is this written in law or regulation. No one has provided anything official from any government agency to support this claim.

Flame on bitches.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    1 usually
    2 yes
    1 to clarify the round must feed through the magwell..30 caliber rounds usually necessitate moving to the AR 10 platform although you can get a .50 BMG side charging upper. Other calibers require specialized lower parts to function and a 9mm needs a magwell block. That's just the basics. Welcome to the forum.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    1. Yes

2. Most people will claim that the lower is "regulated" but nowhere is this written in law or regulation. No one has provided anything official from any government agency to support this claim.

Flame on bitches.

:lol: :lol2:

Thank you Mark, a chuckle is just what I could use right now.

It may not be on the books as regulated, but the majority of people in MD have had to treat it as regulated since no shop wants to be the test case.

Welcome to Md's gun laws, clear as mud.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    :lol: :lol2:

Thank you Mark, a chuckle is just what I could use right now.

It may not be on the books as regulated, but the majority of people in MD have had to treat it as regulated since no shop wants to be the test case.

Welcome to Md's gun laws, clear as mud.

No doubt that's the truth!

dmck

Sep 9, 2011
    The lower is considered the fire control just like a pistol has its serial number on the lower half of the gun on auto's atleast ..ESP. Since the rest of the gun isn't there Maryland says you can make it into a pistol just like shotgun receivers if the do not have a barrel they have to be registered like a pistol according to Maryland ....they have to be registered some how !!

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    The lower is considered the fire control just like a pistol has its serial number on the lower half of the gun on auto's atleast ..ESP. Since the rest of the gun isn't there Maryland says you can make it into a pistol just like shotgun receivers if the do not have a barrel they have to be registered like a pistol according to Maryland ....they have to be registered some how !!

Really, so why didn't my RPD and VZ-58 receivers need to be registered as regulated weapons? I'm confused now... could it be because that's not anywhere in the law (MD code), regulations (COMAR), or any other official documentation?

Unfortunately, MD law, considers a handgun any weapon with a barrel that in under 16" in length. Without a barrel, you don't have a handgun, as it doesn't meet the state definition. No barrel, no handgun.

nomo613

Nov 24, 2010
    pikesville
    if an 18 year old buys an hbar, could he then by a different upper, and just have a normal ar-15, or is that just looking for trouble?

Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    Really, so why didn't my RPD and VZ-58 receivers need to be registered as regulated weapons? I'm confused now... could it be because that's not anywhere in the law (MD code), regulations (COMAR), or any other official documentation?

Unfortunately, MD law, considers a handgun any weapon with a barrel that in under 16" in length. Without a barrel, you don't have a handgun, as it doesn't meet the state definition. No barrel, no handgun.

VZ-58 and RPD arent on the list of regulated weapons.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    He could do it, but it'd be illegal. It would fit and function, though.

I don't think so. Nothing in the law states you cannot modify a firearm after the initial purchase. Except 922r and that doesn't apply. Same as a factory Mini 14 then adding a folding stock or a pistol grip to a Mossberg 500.

JRILE

Jan 9, 2011
    Rising Sun, MD
    change the upper to change caliber, I think the buffer may need to change for some.
    The lower receiver is the serialized part and is regulated. Kind of crazy to wait 7 days for a hunk of aluminum with no moving parts:sad20:
    There is a group buy for ar lowers just starting out $84 total cost

A what buy?

gmhowell

Not Banned Yet
    Nov 28, 2011
    Monkey County
    A group buy. There is a product (AR lower in this case) that has a good price if a certain number are sold. More than an individual would want. So a bunch of people get together and buy in a group.

Not totally sure on HBAR, but I think it is a heavy barrel version. Supposed to be a 'hunting' variant rather than a military one, so falls under a different set of rules in MD (and federal?).

JRILE

Jan 9, 2011
    Rising Sun, MD
    A group buy. There is a product (AR lower in this case) that has a good price if a certain number are sold. More than an individual would want. So a bunch of people get together and buy in a group.

Not totally sure on HBAR, but I think it is a heavy barrel version. Supposed to be a 'hunting' variant rather than a military one, so falls under a different set of rules in MD (and federal?).

ohh, neat...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom