• ...and so much more!
  • Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    better stock up on lowers and mags before the next legislative session

My prediction: no new restrictions in the next session. Too close to election time to get a veto proof majority. If they can't ram it thru, they aren't even going to try (other than proposing bills in committee for local fluster in Bethesda, PG & Bloodimore City)

Anotherpyr

Ultimate Member
    yup..poster child.

Maryland lawmakers have been waiting for someone to do something stupid like this. Now we have someone completing 80% lowers, selling them and also selling drugs. It's like the perfect storm for our lovely liberal media state who can now have their "untraceable evil black rifles and drugs" story.

The next legislation session should be a blast...

We need more laws for them to break! Reporters are having a tough time meeting their 500 word minimum required for a breaking story.:sarcasm:

wbw2123

Nov 19, 2012
    The non-serialed lowers (completed guns) that Shoomaker was selling (at least two to the undercover police officer) was illegal due to the receivers not having sarial numbers be them complete guns or stripped lowers or anywhere in between.

Yep, a handgun (AR15 type) with the brace. That'll be interesting.

Poster child??????????? :lol2::lol::thumbsup::party29::rofl:

That was my understanding as well.

Looks like they may also have been making SBR's, from the looks of the picture posted somewhere.

IANAL, but AFAIK...

It is legal to build a firearm for your own use, and not add a serial number.

It is legal to sell that receiver if you are not in the 'business' of doing so (ie, you made it for yourself, now you no longer want it), but to sell it you must engrave a serial number on it.

Might want to check that. I believe the ATF only "recommends" that you serialize a home built firearm that is being sold. I don't have the regulation on my phone, but I'll try to track it down.

wbw2123

Nov 19, 2012
    To further clarify above, 27 CFR § 478.92 only applies to "licensed manufacturers" of which a home builder is not. Plenty of pre '68 firearms are transferred with "NSN" for the serial number.

Now just because it's legal, that doesn't mean you won't get hassled by an FFL if you try to transfer an unmarked related firearm. Their license, their rules, but the ATF has no such requirement that I am aware of.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Wonder if this guy kept any records of his contacts/clientele. These probably weren't the first two guns he built and sold. Wondering how many of our neighbors in Carroll County might be getting a knock on their door because they wanted to have an "off the books" gun.... then again, I wonder how many were prohibited persons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom