• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joppaj

Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I'm going to stick this thread to the top for the duration of the event.

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    I'm in Salisbury and run my own business so I can leave at any time. Have a four wheel drive so if anyone needs anything near me let me know.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    If you go to buy a generator make sure it can generate the correct current to run your furnace. After owning mine for 10+ years we finally had to use it in the winter and, oh boy, it won't run my furnace. You can live without lights but not without heat.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    If you go to buy a generator make sure it can generate the correct current to run your furnace. After owning mine for 10+ years we finally had to use it in the winter and, oh boy, it won't run my furnace. You can live without lights but not without heat.

True... depends on what type. Gas furnace doesn't require much power to run.

Cis-Lunar

Jun 27, 2008
    gas or oil should be on 120 only and draw about 10-12 amps without any sort of significant start up power needed. a heat pump should require a 240 volt breaker and 20-30 amps drawn with more significant starting draw.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Even a mere 2000 watts can run a 1500 watt cube heater. 3000 watt Generator can run 2 of them (set one on low if necessary) Yeah you won't be toasty, but you keep things from freezing and, if confined to a room, you can probably stay reasonably warm. BTW, Just don't even THINK about running a generator in a house or even a garage with the door open.

Is your furnace 120 watt? What is your genset rating? Sometimes you may have enough to run something like a furnace, but not enough to run that same furnace plus other power draws. I have 2 generators. One for my home (provides the 240 I need to run my well), and a 120V only 3000 (3500 surge) watt inverter to run the A/C on my RV. When it's really hot out, the inverter generator will still start the RV A/C but not with anything else running other than a couple lights and you simply cannot run anything like the microwave while the A/C is running and compressor is engaged.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll

Buy/install a transfer switch and that might very well solve your problems. Then again, if your generator isn't putting out enough watts to even have a 220 plug on it, it might not be enough to run much in your house. My siblings and I got a transfer switch for my parents for Christmas. We went with Reliance Controls. I'm thinking about installing one on each electrical box we have and then buying a second generator.

Then again, you could install a wood burning stove and then you would not have to worry about heat.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Even a mere 2000 watts can run a 1500 watt cube heater. 3000 watt Generator can run 2 of them (set one on low if necessary) Yeah you won't be toasty, but you keep things from freezing and, if confined to a room, you can probably stay reasonably warm. BTW, Just don't even THINK about running a generator in a house or even a garage with the door open.

Is your furnace 120 watt? What is your genset rating? Sometimes you may have enough to run something like a furnace, but not enough to run that same furnace plus other power draws. I have 2 generators. One for my home (provides the 240 I need to run my well), and a 120V only 3000 (3500 surge) watt inverter to run the A/C on my RV. When it's really hot out, the inverter generator will still start the RV A/C but not with anything else running other than a couple lights and you simply cannot run anything like the microwave while the A/C is running and compressor is engaged.

Isn't it 110 volts and 220 volts, with watts and amps being the measure of the amount of power that the appliance uses?

For instance, an electric water heater and AC unit are usually on 220 volt lines. Same would go for a heat pump and an electric range. Essentially, they occupy two slots in the breaker box. Then, the breaker is rated at an amperage that would trip if the appliance ever tried to draw more than the rated amperage.

Generators are rated in watts and the appliances are rated in watts at startup and watts at continuous run. It is so freaking confusing that I am just going to buy a generator with so many watts that I don't ever have to worry about what appliance draws how much at what point.

Then, there is the issue of balancing the draw on the generator so that you don't blow the generator by putting all the load on a single brush versus spreading it evenly among the two brushes. I did this research back in November and put it on the wish list for this summer. Big plans, never enough money or time.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Alright, back on topic. I am in the Ellicott City area and I should be home all day tomorrow and Friday. If you NEED something, don't hesitate to shoot me a PM or an e-mail via this board. Note the emphasis on NEED. If you NEED toilet paper, I'm not driving you to the store, but I might be able to spare a roll or two. Same goes for food. I can spare some canned goods. Need to get to a gas station for more fuel for the generator because the power is out, that is what I am talking about. Need help with some type of emergency where a second hand would help, that is what I am talking about, as long as it is within my ability. Need a ride to the doctor's office for a pre-scheduled appointment, shoot me a PM.

Have a medical emergency, dial 911!!!!!!!!!!!!

DraKhen99

Professional Heckler
    Sep 30, 2013
    Here in MoCo, with 4WD and a snow thrower. PM me if you need anything, I'll be teleworking tomorrow.

John

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Should start seeing a change to sleet and then rain, beginning soon, then back to snow this evening.

Tomorrow morning may be way too interesting.

As long as the temp is above freezing, everything is good.

Nice and slushy down here at the end of the earth

Elynchjr23

Jan 7, 2013
    In elkton with 4wd and a quad with a plow if anyone needs a hand digging out!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    Not emergency or anything but if anyone near Severn has a snowblower willing to hire out for a driveway PM me.

NHaze

Mar 15, 2011
    Shepherdstown, WV
    I'm in the Glen Burnie/BP area should anyone need anything. Good to go unless we actually get the 51" or whatever the wackos in Facebook are calling for lol. Anyway, just PM. Stay safe!

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I can help anyone within 200 yards of my house. Other than that I will pray for you. :)

...really thinking that a set of chains to keep on hand would be a good idea

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom