• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Whitey

Collector and involved.
    Apr 5, 2014
    Central MD
    I've had a Primary Arms 1-6 and love the ACSS reticle. Use it on an AR and not at anything past 100 yds. Got crappy vision anyhow. Great customer service with PA!

With a 1-4x scope with a decent reticle you should be able to nail man sized targets at 400 yards without much effort. Never took me more than one extra shot if that to clean 300-400 yard steel in a 3-gun match and I was 65 years old even then. Also don't think much of first focal plane tactical scopes as I have tried a few and the thickening of the reticle lines as the power goes up can interfere with getting a good sight picture of the target at the high power end. Plus FFP was invented to allow you to keep the correct reticle line spacing regardless of power so the MOA stays the same (paraphrasing)when in fact with tactical scopes you only use 2 power setting, the top and the bottom. All second FP tactical scopes are correct at max power anyway and the reticle lines stay thin so you can see them against the target instead of blocking the target. I do use FFP scopes for higher power shooting which was what it was designed for.

I think this is part of my problem. The scope I have is FFP, I've never used one before and the reticle does get "thicker" but I feel like it almost blurs it as well

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Currently I have the Bushnell 1x4 Illuminated BDC on my AR. I like it, but I feel like there's a couple flaws. The reticle could be a little larger, plus I think the 4x is a little bit low for me after 100 yd. I was looking at possibly bumping up to 1x6 or maybe even more. I'd like to keep the reticle illuminated for some low light conditions. I regularly shoot between 100-200 yards. I also noticed when it started to get rainy the scope fogged up almost immediately which was a bit disappointing.

Why would anyone want a scope with a 4mm or 6mm objective????

Pretty small scope.

:lol2:

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    I think this is part of my problem. The scope I have is FFP, I've never used one before and the reticle does get "thicker" but I feel like it almost blurs it as well

You adjusted the eyepiece focus at all? I had a FFP scope that didn't want to focus at both minimum and maximum power so I just focused it at mid-power.

Testudo

That Others May Live
    Dec 17, 2009
    La Plata
    I have a Vortex Razor HD Gen II 1-6x24 on my SCAR. It is a little more than your budget, but the glass on it is amazing. It is on par with some 3k scopes I have used. Lifetime no fault warranty as well. Check out some of the reviews online for it.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    How are you focusing the scope?

Adjustable parallax?

If you have adjustable parallax, you should adjust focus against a clear sky, and focus the reticle.

Then to focus the target, use the adjustable parallax.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Got out today with my AR and a newly mounted Vortex Strike Eagle in a Burris QD PEPR mount. I was very skeptical about buying the Strike Eagle. Almost bought it several times, then didn't because I didn't think I'd be satisfied with the glass quality. But most of the reviews have been positive, so I figured I'd take a chance. Gotta say that, for a 1x6 illuminated reticle scope in this price range, my first impression is that I was definitely impressed with it. If the durability is there, this scope appears to me to be a very good value. Clarity is pretty darned good with my example. Tracking and repeatability seemed to be pretty darned good also, with the little time I had to play with it. Clicks aren't what I'd call crisp, but they are definitely discernable. The circle reticle (for me)takes a bit of getting used to, but I think that's primarily because it's not what I'm used to in a reticle because the vast majority of my shooting is and has typically been more precision oriented. As a quick acquisition short range reticle that can be very quickly picked up with both eyes open, and can illuminate for low light, the reticle (to me) does exactly what it's designed to do. My front sight doesn't ghost out completely with this scope and mount combo until right around 2 power, but the reticle design is such that I don't pay any attention to the front sight regardless. That circle is what grabs my attention. It forces my eyes so to speak. For extended ranges, where more precision is wanted and time isn't critical, the more traditional crosshair reticle serves it purpose.

I'm not primarily an AR guy like many here, and I definitely own better glass. But for my purposes, and wanting both 1x and 6x of decent clarity in an AR scope, and at a price point that doesn't break the bank? Time will tell as I get some more time with it, but my initial impression is certainly favorable. I can see why this scope created such a buzz last year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom