• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dec 31, 2012
    Hello, this will be my first gun purchase, and first time I'll be firing a gun in quite a few years. I thought about getting a revolver instead of a semi-auto pistol since maintenance and use seems easier with a revolver for a new-ish user.

Anyway, I'm a bit confused to the laws MD has in place for handguns specifically for revolvers. I know I have to do the safety course , I also know there are forms and a 7 day waiting period, but the confusion comes from the external safety that is required. Is this required only for semi-auto pistols? Do any revolvers even come with an external safety? The gun in question is a S&W model 13 btw. I guess I'm asking if this gun is legal. Thanks.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    Welcome to MD Shooters.

To answer your question, MD requires that handguns either have an internal locking system or an approved omega bore lock...nothing about safety.
    Going with a revolver as your first handgun is a great idea, just be sure to try a few out before making a decision.

Dec 31, 2012
    Thanks. So I guess I just read the law wrong? Basically if I understand this correctly a gun doesn't need to have a safety (that with a button press locks the trigger or whatnot) and just needs a locking device when you go to purchase the gun.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Thanks. So I guess I just read the law wrong? Basically if I understand this correctly a gun doesn't need to have a safety (that with a button press locks the trigger or whatnot) and just needs a locking device when you go to purchase the gun.

Yes. But it has to be an approved locking device, i.e. either one integral to the gun, or an external one approved by the state, usually in the form of a barrel blocking lock that costs around 20 bucks extra. The plain old padlock or trigger lock you get in the box with a lot of guns will not cut it.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    Many revolvers, Smiths, Taurus, and others come with factory installed integral locks and do not require one of the 20 or so MSP approved locks.

Most of the add on locks are only 20 to 35 bucks, or you can bring your own or borrow one. As long as the handgun goes out the door with one the law is satisfied.

Go to the MSP Licensing Division site to view the list of approved locks.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    The MD compliant internal lock is only required on handguns (new and used) manufactured AFTER 2002. Pre 2003 manufactured handguns are exempt from the internal lock requirement.

Dec 31, 2012
    Ah ok thanks for the responses I understand now. Not sure if my local gun shop has a model 13 still but I am hoping to find a double action .357 mag revolver, k frame preferably for around $400 -$500

Infantry23

Ultimate Member
    Dec 9, 2012
    Hagerstown
    A revolver is a good place to start. .22LR is cheaper for cutting your teeth on.

I just got a Heritage Rough Rider for my children this Christmas. It is a great little plinker and pretty accurate for a revolver under $200! I thought the exact same thing, that it would be great for them to learn proper handgun safety. It is also teaching them the ropes of a single action. We took it out yesterday and shot about 100 rds through it and it was spot on and a ton of fun! Has a mag cylinder too. Both 22LR and mag are still affordable and fun. However, it may not be exactly what the OP is looking for but revolvers are still an awesome way to go for a first handgun.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Welcome to MD Shooters.

To answer your question, MD requires that handguns either have an internal locking system or an approved omega bore lock...nothing about safety.
    Going with a revolver as your first handgun is a great idea, just be sure to try a few out before making a decision.

Great advice. I would just like to add for the OP to consider a 357. I always thought a 357 was always a great first gun. You have the flexibility to shoot the heaver 357, or the lighter 38 round. The heaver 357 frame guns handle the recoil very well when shooting the 38's.

tennisdr

Apr 22, 2012
    revolver is the way to go for a first gun especially God forbid you have to use it. Less to go wrong in a stressful situation. If by chance to get a misfire all you have to do is pull the trigger again. All of the suggestions are excellent

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    We are a two revolver shooting couple here in Southern Maryland. I bought a 17HMR revolver for hunting Squirrel. My wife shot it a few times and fell in love with the whole "revolver" / "handgun" thing and she now owns the same gun in .357 Mag. Both are Taurus Trackers in stainless and scoped with BSA 2X20. We both love these revolvers and they have been excellent, issue free, performers.

My 17HMR is hunting use specific and is too expensive to punch little holes in paper. The .357 Mag is dual purpose, for both .38 special and 357 Mag rounds, so, you can shoot all day for very little cost. The Plus is you can reload for the 357, which makes ammo prices next to nothing, and you ALWAYS HAVE AMMO. No going to several retailers to find they are out-of-stock on bullets.

I'm not a fan of semi auto handguns personally. I am not against them either. However, "My" use is for hunting and her use is for shooting holes in paper. She does not hunt and neither of us own guns for the purpose of home defense either. The semi-auto handgun to "ME" is just so cliche and my personal opinion is most guys own them because it's "Cool" and / or "My buddy has one just like it".

Most young guys buy Glocks, for example, because they watch too many movies. My opinion of course ( but mostly true in reality ) The ones who hold them sideways with one hand at the range, with other humans nearby, who just got it from the gun shop an hour ago, are the living proof.

Back to the topic...

The reason I own a revolver is because it is "cooler" ( to me ) and "more fun" ( to me ) Besides, if some one did break in to my home and I had to defend myself, I like knowing all 6-7 rounds will fire instead of getting jammed. Yes, there may be a dud in there, BUT, I can keep pulling that trigger... The other guy can't.

But, the chance of me grabbing a revolver is slim because they tucked away in a case in a safe. NOW, the chances of you getting a .50 Cal hole in your head is excellent in my home. I ALWAYS have 1-2 Muzzleloaders loaded here. I will nail your ass with that one shot and you can't shoot back because I have done the whole "Ninja escape" thing with the smoke.

Revolver versus semi-auto is personal choice. It is who you is. Of course it's all a "how it looks" and "how it feels" to "you" issue at the end of the day.

Given the current status of our Government, and proposed gun regulations, the revolver remains, but, the semi-autos have a tough fight ahead.

This is NOT a revolver versus semi-auto debate and to answer the question...

Yes your S&W choice is legal to own and shoot.

My last opinion is, if you're going to buy it for target shooting, at least get a longer barrel. My point is, paying several hundred dollars for a gun that is only fairly accurate out to a few yards is a waste of money in my opinion. You may as well throw rocks at the bullseye. I see folks at the range that can't hit the paper at 5 yards...

Attachments

• TAURUS 17HMR 357 MAG.jpg
      TAURUS 17HMR 357 MAG.jpg
      37.2 KB · Views: 442
    Dec 31, 2012
    Thanks for all the replies and suggestions, though I do have another question. When filling out the paperwork, will it matter that my current address is different than the one on my driver's license? Basically I moved out of my dad's house to our other house 2 houses down the street, so the only difference is the house number, same street. I was planning on changing it when I go to renew my license but I'm wondering if there will be any issues when I go to buy a gun.

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    If you have officially moved, get a change of address card. Pretty sure it doesn't cost anything and would prevent potential problems with your purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom