• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jubbs26

Mar 14, 2013
    Baltimore County
    After a 60 day waiting period, I've received my Glock 26 and put a good 1000 rounds in it so far. I love the gun! I stumbled upon some winnings at the preakness (enough to buy another gun and to re-model the man cave) and wondering what I should buy next!

The G26 shoots very well and I love it but now I want a full size. I feel a Glock 19 would be too similar to the 26. I've already got G19 mags for it anyway. How are the G17 Gen 4's? Any problems? Also what other 9mm full sizes are comparable with the G17 besides the M&P9 and XDm9?

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    After a 60 day waiting period, I've received my Glock 26 and put a good 1000 rounds in it so far. I love the gun! I stumbled upon some winnings at the preakness (enough to buy another gun and to re-model the man cave) and wondering what I should buy next!

The G26 shoots very well and I love it but now I want a full size. I feel a Glock 19 would be too similar to the 26. I've already got G19 mags for it anyway. How are the G17 Gen 4's? Any problems? Also what other 9mm full sizes are comparable with the G17 besides the M&P9 and XDm9?

If you stick with Glock you've got magazine interchangeability along with a common platform. I used to have several mfrs in 9mm, I was smart to go all Glock. Also you could add a Sub2000 (they make one for the G19 mags with a shorter grip than their G17 model) and have carbine fun too. :D

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Seriously consider the G19.
    I own both the G19 and the G26.

Both are very accurate (and very concealable).

If you really want something 'full-size', consider the G22 (.40 S&W) or the G21 (.45 acp) or the G20 (10 mm).

Then, go for the G23, the G30/G30SF or the G29.

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    No Glock collection is complete without a 17, 19 and 22. I'd probably start with the 17 but if you like Glocks you will have all of these eventually! The Sub2K is another bonus...especially with the 30+ round Glock 9mm mags.

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    34 or 17L if you want caliber and mag commonality. I started with the 26 and see no reason to get a 19, but getting a compatible full size pistol for the bed side made the most sense to me.

aquashooter

Apr 17, 2013
    Monkey Co
    Go with a G19 instead of a G17. You lose almost nothing in accuracy because the 19 is only about a 1/2 inch shorter and you still have 16 rounds in lieu of 18. (Including the one in the throat.) I have a 17 and a 26, but I always carry the 26. I have not carried the 17 since before I retired 20 years ago. I have no problem going to annual qualification with the 26

Second Amendment

Ultimate Member
    May 11, 2011

If you're going to get another Glock, get the G17 while you still can. Or, explore the world of Sig Sauer.

Terphunter

Jul 25, 2012
    Bought this 19 but its not out of jail yet...cant wait!

9D259C78-B21E-4ED2-951A-19CC4E5C733C-16835-000001E2079CDC1D_zpsb38927d5.jpg

Also have this full size Beretta PX4 Storm in 9mm....17 rounds, meprolights and tlr-1...1500 rounds and not one hicup...just deadly accurate. Its double/single action and a sweet shooter. Just something else to consider.

ac050b188c173ae711a81811a9a98820.jpg

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    If you love the Glock 26, get a G19 or 17 next. Much easier to shoot well without your pinky dangling.

If you have little experience with other handguns, go to a range that rents and try a: S&W M&P, Sig 226, Beretta 92s, or CZ-75. I came late to the Glock party and while I love them now, each handgun has its own quirks and advantages. Try a revolver too... not my cup of tea but totally different and some people love them.

Jubbs26

Mar 14, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Went to the range, left with an XDm9...well the receipt for it at least. I love my buddies XDm40 and with 19+1 it's just plain sweet. I'll pick up a Glock 22 or 17 some day.

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County

The glock 17 is a fantastic weapon. I've carried mine for almost 19 years. Absolutely, the best handgun in the world, IMO. After that, grab yourself a quality 1911. I have a Wiley Clapp Colt commander. It is extremely accurate and a real smooth shooter. In fact, your 26 has more kick. Oh, I've had my g26 for 15 years. I've never had a hiccup out of any of them, but, the 1911 is the most fun.

The glock 17 is a fantastic weapon. I've carried mine for almost 19 years. Absolutely, the best handgun in the world, IMO. After that, grab yourself a quality 1911. I have a Wiley Clapp Colt commander. It is extremely accurate and a real smooth shooter. In fact, your 26 has more kick. Oh, I've had my g26 for 15 years. I've never had a hiccup out of any of them, but, the 1911 is the most fun.

He has already invested heavily into Glocks. Handling a decent 1911 will ruin his Glock infatuation. He will find that feeling that only a follower of brother John Browning has.

Second Amendment

Ultimate Member
    May 11, 2011
    Bought this 19 but its not out of jail yet...cant wait!

9D259C78-B21E-4ED2-951A-19CC4E5C733C-16835-000001E2079CDC1D_zpsb38927d5.jpg

Also have this full size Beretta PX4 Storm in 9mm....17 rounds, meprolights and tlr-1...1500 rounds and not one hicup...just deadly accurate. Its double/single action and a sweet shooter. Just something else to consider.

ac050b188c173ae711a81811a9a98820.jpg

Nice photos & presentation. My G26 has another month or so to serve in MSP limbo. Can't wait to get it & break it in.

OH IT'S KINO

Southerner
    Feb 16, 2011
    Ameritopia
    You have to identify what you want its purpose to be. Personally, I would go with a Glock 17 or 34. Since you already have the concealed carry aspect down, the next niche to fill in my mind would be a "fighting gun". The great thing about the G19 is that is fulfills both criteria fairly well, but since you already have the G26, which is not a fighting gun, my recommendation would be the G17/34, which is not a carry gun.

I used to prefer the G19 over the full-sized frames, but lately I have really enjoyed shooting my full-sized Glocks. Extremely comfortable to shoot, virtually no recoil, longer sight radius, and a breeze to get back on target. In my mind, the Glock17/34 is one of the best "take to battle" sidearms you can get... since you already own a 9mm Glock it makes sense to keep it in the family, so to speak.

Don't get me wrong... I love the G19. But in my mind it's still mostly a carry gun. It's just a carry gun that is more suitable for "battle" than a G26, which is a carry gun meant solely for deep concealment or to be easy to carry concealed. This is how I view the popular G9mm's:

Glock 26 - Conceal carry. Period. Not something you would really take to the range or training, and not something you would take to battle.

Glock 17/34 - Range/battle gun. Period. Not something you would try to conceal carry. Amazing range and battle gun.

Glock 19 - Conceal carry if you can manage (which isn't hard)... Good for CCW and good for fighting/range. The one to get if you can only get ONE or the one to get over the G26 if you can carry it and/or you want more firepower.

Just my .02.

Last edited:

Gundahar

Sep 4, 2011
    Although it may seem boring to get two of the same type, if the Glock really appeals to you, and if you are serious about trying to improve shooter skills in the sense that you are running drills, using a shot timer, etc., you are much better off with the 2 Glocks than with two different platforms.

In the end I picked up a 19 as well as my 26, and I am extremely happy with my choice, other than the current cost of 9mm ammo, of course. I can conceal the G26 easier than the 19, although not by a huge amount. However sometimes that amount is significant.

I generally agree with OH ITS KINO's assessment, except that I find the G26 fun to shoot at the range, and have taken mine to a carbine course. Obviously the full sized guns are what the courses have in mind, but I don't get a duty gun, and have personally prioritized my training with the smaller hand guns for the last year in the hopes that we eventually get Concealed carry in this state.

Gundahar

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom