• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Added another Winchester Model 12 Trap to the collection today. Have been looking for a Y Model at a reasonable price to use as a sometime shooter and have an example of the last of the Model 12's.
    This one has better than average wood and has seen little use. Only real fault is barrel extension has turned plum blue which is something Winchester had problems with in the Y series of guns.
    Had it out today and as with most of my Model 12's it just crush's targets.

DSCN0954.jpg

DSCN0955.jpg

DSCN0951.jpg

DSCN0946.jpg

DSCN0947.jpg

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    How do u fall ass backwards into these amazing guns

justsand, it takes a lot of looking and a lot of luck. I also try to read about the guns I am interested in so when I do find one I am better able to judge whether the gun is fairly priced for it's condition and features.
    Knowing the market helps, Model 12's are very collectible but Y Models are the red headed step child of the Model 12 world, good gun but Winchester did take some shortcuts when they brought them back out in the 70's. Good shooters but at this point they are not considered a top collectible, who knows 20 years from now. Also right now the Model 12 market is slow with prices dropping, nice guns are going for a couple hundred less than they did 5 years ago.
    Be prepared to make mistakes. This gun is a result of a mistake. Was at the Timonium show when it opened, cruised the tables fast and found a rack with 6 nice Model 12's. This gun was on it and so was a nice 20 gauge field and 16 gauge field. My main interest was in the 20 gauge with the trap gun being second. Left the table for 20 minutes checking out a couple Fox SxS's which were overpriced and decided to deal on the 20, went back and the 20 and 16 were gone, someone got a couple nice guns.
    So since I needed a Y Model for the collection worked out a deal with the seller and came home with my second choice.
    A lot of the fun is the search, and the best part is you can use these guns as they were intended whether on the Trap range or taking a 80 year old field gun out for a hunt or a round of Sporting Clays.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom