• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Well, my granddad gave me this one he had in WW2....I think it was made by some sewing machine company. I dunno. I really wanted a rail for a tac-light but no gunsmith would weld one on. I tried three or four and they all said they wouldnt do it.

I tried to put a rail on myself with a kit I found online but I ended up drilling the holes wrong and couldn't get the rail on. Ended up trading it for a $100 home Depot gift card at a gun buyback because the part you hold was all boogered up and looked bad

Last edited:

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Colt Custom Shop WWI 1911 (Not A1)
    Springfield MilSpec 1911A1
    Submitted my package for the CMP Round 3 sale a few weeks ago
    Colt 1911 L.jpg

Springfield 1911-A1  March 2021.jpg

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    My favorite 1911 is my Ruger SR1911 because well….it’s my only 1911 :D

D9C594F1-26BC-4479-A9F7-5CDEF72A0590.jpeg

Last edited:

Jimgoespewpew

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2021
    Terlingua
    Well, my granddad gave me this one he had in WW2....I think it was made by some sewing machine company. I dunno. I really wanted a rail for a tac-light but no gunsmith would weld one on. I tried three or four and they all said they wouldnt do it.

I tried to put a rail on myself with a kit I found online but I ended up drilling the holes wrong and couldn't get the rail on. Ended up trading it for a $100 home Depot gift card at a gun buyback because the part you hold was all boogered up and looked bad
    Not funny. I just had a siezure, transient ischemic attack and myocardial infarction

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    I have the lightweight Ruger Commander. It has been disappointing. Ejected empties into my forehead (big burr at the end the extractor channel - fixed). Then ejecting the last live round out of the magazine. I'm not sure what is causing that yet and it didn't happen on the last range trip. Maybe just a break in issue or a bad factory magazine.

Once I'm certain of the reliability this will become a carry gun. Lots of nice carry related upgrades from the base 1911. Novak sights are bold and very easy to use.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I really don't have a favorite. I love them all equally, just like my kids.
    Top-Bottom
    Colt 1911 vintage 1918
    Ruger SR1911
    Colt 1911A1 vintage 1944 (with Remington-Rand slide) from CMP
    273444625_10103519218016193_6156330781175482434_n.jpg

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland

Well...you know what they say--"pictures or it didn't happen"... oh, wait---

Crosseye Dominant

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2018
    I have the lightweight Ruger Commander. It has been disappointing. Ejected empties into my forehead (big burr at the end the extractor channel - fixed). Then ejecting the last live round out of the magazine. I'm not sure what is causing that yet and it didn't happen on the last range trip. Maybe just a break in issue or a bad factory magazine.

Once I'm certain of the reliability this will become a carry gun. Lots of nice carry related upgrades from the base 1911. Novak sights are bold and very easy to use.

John Browning designed the 1911 to eject the last live round so that your buddy on the right who is out of bullets has ammo (singular) to cover you while you reload. Don't break what won (will win) 3 world wars my friend.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg

Lol so much pain in your post. Lol

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia

:lol2:

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg

Good One! ROFLMAO!

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    I bought this RIA used when I got back into firearms, I have bought several more hand guns since, but this one is still my favorite. I added Crimson trace grips a few years back to help with my old eyes. It has been with me on most of my range trips, and once I get my carry permit will most likely be my main carry piece.

David Pics (118).jpg

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Springfield Loaded - Comes reasonably close to the way I prefer my 1911 set up ( if anything , I would prefer lack of ambi safety) , and with acceptable trigger .

( Exactly to my tastes out of box would be Colt M1991 .)

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I have a number of 1911 platform pistols...my favorites depend on the use each is intended for.

My Delta Elite in .45 ACP went through Novak's shop back when I first bought it over thirty years ago and I've used it for competitions back in the day. It's sent many rounds downrange and has never bobbled in any way and is extremely consistent (it has a Gold Cup barrel).

Combat-Elite-left.jpeg

When I was allowed to carry a self-loading pistol off-duty after transitioning from revolvers my favorite off-duty carry was this Lightweight Commander in .45 ACP...also was sent to Novak's.
    Colt-Commander.jpeg

For pure fun and satisfaction I love the Delta Elite 10mm pistols...
    Deltas-4.jpeg

Now I'm living in AZ where concealed and open carry is allowed with or without a permit I may start carrying this Kimber Micro-9 (temps since I've been here have been constantly 100 degrees or higher)...
    Micro9-target.jpeg

Or I may start carrying my .45 ACP Defender which hasn't been fired yet and needs to be broken in.
    Defender-new-stocks.jpeg

To be honest...there's little to choose from between the Defender and Lightweight Commander...not much weight or dimensional difference. I'm 6'3" so one is as easy to conceal as the other. It may come down to what the weather is...that may determine whether the Kimber or something else.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

Please for the love of God tell me you're joking.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom