• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    I have a RIA 1911, mid- size or commander. It has a 4.25 inch barrel and has a guild rod with the recoil spring over it. I replace with a new recoil spring from this kit

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/724258/wilson-combat-complete-spring-set-1911-commander

Well the question is the new recoil spring is about an inch or so longer than the factory recoil spring, is that normal? It looks like a spring for a five inch slide, and not a 4.25 slide, can you switch recoil spring out from a gov't slide to a commander slide, as long as the weight of the spring is correct?

The recoil spring is rated at 18.5 lb, but almost seems twice as the factory spring, which is at 16 or so pounds i think. I saw a chart on brownell website ( i thik) that stated a commander can go up to 20lb recoil spring, but if 18.5lb recoil spring make it very difficult to pull back the slide, than I figure the max. 20lb recoil spring would make my slide unmovable. Can somebody help me please?

gwguns

Gwinners Gunworks
    Aug 23, 2014
    Forest Hill, MD
    1911 spring

the parts adds usually go by "colt" specifications.
    Government = 5" Barrel
    Commander - 4.25" Barrel
    Officer = Shortened grip/frame, 3-something inch barrel.
    Kimber uses a 3", 4", 5" system and calls them the Ultra, Pro, and Custom respectively.
    first I would make sure that the barrel is 4.25 and not a 4" barrel
    the spring must not coil bind, meaning the coils collapse on themselves, you can check this by stealing some of your wife's lipstick and coating the backside of several coils, cycle the gun several times and check to see if it has transferred to the front side if the opposing spring face.
    Most likely your spring is too long and will bind and short cycle the slide.
    as for weight if you want to run a heavy spring do yourself a favor and buy a guide rod with shock buffers both front and rear, this will save you from destroying the frame with use.

pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    Thanks for the response My gun does have a four inch barrel. I think I ll try to get one of those 4 inch recoil spring. Going to go try the lipstick trick. Thanks

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    You can also check for coul bind by:

>remove the recoil spring only;
    > Pull the slide back all the way and place a short piece of masking or scotch tape on the frame dust cover, aligning one edge of the tape with the front edge of the slide;
    > replace the recoil spring and fully pull back the slide;
    > the front of the slide should be even with the tape as before spring reinstallation; if not, the recoil spring should be clipped one coil at a time on the unclosed (plug) end of the spring.

The spring will quickly take a set and be about the same unloaded length as the old one. This is common and not an indicator of problems on a properly fitted spring.

Josh Smith

Aug 10, 2010
    Hello,

Count the coils. You have spring rate and spring weight.

When you install a new spring, it will take a set and stay there. This is why new springs are a bit longer -- they shrink to where they "want" to be.

When you install the new spring, pull back the slide and see if you feel a "crunch". If so, the spring is too long.

Regards,

Josh

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom