• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Armati

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 6, 2013
    Baltimore
    If the frame is stainless, Flitz might buff it out. That said, it's not really a big deal. Just shoot the thing!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Sgt6402

Jan 21, 2008
    md
    Like all others have said, it shows you have shot and cleaned it and gives the firearm character. With that said, if you really want it gone and done by a gunsmith. Call The Machine Gun Nest in Frederick and ask for Quinn. He is a 1911 gunsmith and he does phenomenal work on 1911's including building 1911's with Damascus slides.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    Nice to know about Quinn at TMGN. I've had great luck with john Carduner (MdS Trikshot) who works out of FreeState.

---
    Shamr0ck

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    $2,000 Wilson safe queen, maybe worry. $800 run of the mill piece, why bother?

While it is not a Wilson, it's still a $1k Colt. It is not a run of the mill POS, it's a nice looking gun. Short of a $10k+ shotgun, I wouldn't have a safe queen. I just feel like an idiot with that scratch. That said, I'll probably just leave it.

Thanks for all the replies, guys.

Mr.Blue

Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    Like all others have said, it shows you have shot and cleaned it and gives the firearm character. With that said, if you really want it gone and done by a gunsmith. Call The Machine Gun Nest in Frederick and ask for Quinn. He is a 1911 gunsmith and he does phenomenal work on 1911's including building 1911's with Damascus slides.

I waited too long and Quinn no longer works at TMGN!

Guys, any other suggestions? I'm so anal with my guns and cars. The scratch drives me crazy. I know it's just a $1k Colt, but I can't have a scratch like that on it knowing that I did it.

Thanks!

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    I have no idea why people call it an "Idiot" scratch! It is an " I am used, cleaned and loved scratch." Seriously, even if you try to remove it with some sort of really mild abrasive, the area will show marks that do not match the original manufacturing marks and finish exactly. You would still know it. It is a tool, meant to be used. Don't worry about it. The gun will feel better about the inconsequential mark it you take it shooting though!:innocent0:D

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Strip it down.

Tie a leather strap to the bare frame.

Whip it over your shoulders so it impacts your back.

Your sin must be purified by pain and blood letting.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    I waited too long and Quinn no longer works at TMGN!

Guys, any other suggestions? I'm so anal with my guns and cars. The scratch drives me crazy. I know it's just a $1k Colt, but I can't have a scratch like that on it knowing that I did it.

Thanks!

I am with you. It would (did) drive me crazy. Use an emory cloth and some oil. Be very very careful and take your time. It will come out as long as it is not too deep. It will change the finish ever so slightly, but if you are careful it will be unnoticeable unless you inspect it very closely. Either way, it is much better than having the idiot scratch which is obvious to everyone, and most importantly to yourself.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Automotiv...qid=1491083359&sr=8-5&keywords=3m+emery+cloth

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    I have no idea why people call it an "Idiot" scratch! It is an " I am used, cleaned and loved scratch." Seriously, even if you try to remove it with some sort of really mild abrasive, the area will show marks that do not match the original manufacturing marks and finish exactly. You would still know it. It is a tool, meant to be used. Don't worry about it. The gun will feel better about the inconsequential mark it you take it shooting though!:innocent0:D

Being that I know many very smart people who have an idiot scratch, my guess is it does not mean that you are an idiot. That said, many of us would feel like an idiot for not being more careful.

I would have to wholeheartedly disagree with you when you say it is a "I am used, cleaned and loved scratch." More like, a "I was either careless or did not give a shit scratch."

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    I've seen a scratch turn to worse trying to remove it, just say'n. Looking at military issued 45's for sale, most of them have the mark.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    I've seen a scratch turn to worse trying to remove it, just say'n. Looking at military issued 45's for sale, most of them have the mark.

You are right. Most 1911's have an idiot scratch because most guys don't give a shit. That said, the idiot scratch is a real problem for those who suffer from OCD and it makes them feel really bad. Doesn't matter if it is a $400 Rock Island or a $2000 Wilson. The scratch matters to some guys and telling them that it is not a big deal will never change their perspective.

Mr.Blue

Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    What pisses me off more is that this nice old guy, who was a shooting instructor in WI, was helping with it and he caused most of the scratch. I couldn't say anything, but I was pissed.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    What pisses me off more is that this nice old guy, who was a shooting instructor in WI, was helping with it and he caused most of the scratch. I couldn't say anything, but I was pissed.

Where do you live? I am in Carroll County and will help you fix it if you want.

Mr.Blue

Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    You are right. Most 1911's have an idiot scratch because most guys don't give a shit. That said, the idiot scratch is a real problem for those who suffer from OCD and it makes them feel really bad. Doesn't matter if it is a $400 Rock Island or a $2000 Wilson. The scratch matters to some guys and telling them that it is not a big deal will never change their perspective.

I'm even worse with cars. I drive my wife crazy. Oh, and scratches in wood furniture. I notice everything.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Being that I know many very smart people who have an idiot scratch, my guess is it does not mean that you are an idiot. That said, many of us would feel like an idiot for not being more careful.

I would have to wholeheartedly disagree with you when you say it is a "I am used, cleaned and loved scratch." More like, a "I was either careless or did not give a shit scratch."

If it were an engraved gun or collectible, I would call it an idiot scratch and I would be upset about it too. For a working gun, IMHO, it is meant to be used, wear and scratches don't mean that much. Those things are bound to happen eventually if any tool sees much use. You can easily tell which of my guns see a lot of use and which are collectable works of art.:innocent0

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom