• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Idempotent

Zombies' Worst Nightmare
    Apr 12, 2010
    For what it's worth, even if that rifle had been manufactured yesterday, a face-to-face transaction would be fine. The only reason FTF isn't allowed is if the firearm in question is regulated, and whether it's regulated does not depend on age.

jjbduke2004

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2008
    Morris Oblast, NJ SSR
    It's a nice gun but a permanent wall-hanger/safe queen.

They didn't use pyrometers in the forging process so the forge men held them until cherry red. How hot cherry red was depended on how bright the day was and who was watching. Some stayed in too long and "cooked" rendering the steel unsafe.

Pretty much all Springfields below ~800,000 are considered unsafe (Rock Islands below 265,000)

armedsks

Feb 27, 2007
    Sharpsburg, MD
    Barrel date?? stock markings??

This rifle will have to be near original to fetch whats being asked for it. I sold about a dozen 1903's last year. If the rifle isnt original, being a low number does hurt the resale. Some people will not shoot them.. Like said earlier, they were forged without pyrometers. They forged them just like they did the krag and trappdoor. (lower pressures).

I shot all my 1903's High # and low #'s

1903's do not command the value that a M1 Garand.
    Neither do Trapdoors or Krags.

It is a very nice looking rifle.. We just need a lot more details!!!

Infosec Guy

Sep 20, 2009
    Columbia MD
    so... this is a 1906 vintage?

Well, you've got me on the year, as in I can't tell you exactly. What I do know is that it's probably a 1905-06 vintage based on that serial #. We have no real history of the weapon, other than this: Upon inspection, it's in nearly perfect condition. There are so few markings in the barrel or within the receiver that we really can't be sure it's ever been fired.

Infosec Guy

Sep 20, 2009
    Columbia MD
    Barrel date?? stock markings??

This rifle will have to be near original to fetch whats being asked for it. I sold about a dozen 1903's last year. If the rifle isnt original, being a low number does hurt the resale. Some people will not shoot them.. Like said earlier, they were forged without pyrometers. They forged them just like they did the krag and trappdoor. (lower pressures).

I shot all my 1903's High # and low #'s

1903's do not command the value that a M1 Garand.
    Neither do Trapdoors or Krags.

It is a very nice looking rifle.. We just need a lot more details!!!

I didn't see any markings on the stock, and I foolishly didn't take pictures of the other side of the weapon's receiver or barrel. So the best I can do is show you this picture.

Attachments

• DSC_0030_small.jpg
      DSC_0030_small.jpg
      48.9 KB · Views: 216

armedsks

Feb 27, 2007
    Sharpsburg, MD
    Should be a circle P on the bottom of the wrist. A inspectors cartouche on the left of wrist. The barrel should say SA month-date.

I use to have some nice 1903 springfield books. They would be able totell you what markings should be on the rifle for originality. Also over the years the parts got revisions and etc.

I did notice the nice finger groove stock. Excellent USGI wood for all USGI rifles is getting harder to find!

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    parkerized implies refinishing, arsenal or otherwise. The originals were blued.

Still in nice shape, just not collector grade. It should make a right pretty shooter, if you are willing to shoot a low number, and I know plenty of people who are, although they are NOT allowed at CMP matches...

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    parkerized implies refinishing, arsenal or otherwise. The originals were blued.

Still in nice shape, just not collector grade. It should make a right pretty shooter, if you are willing to shoot a low number, and I know plenty of people who are, although they are NOT allowed at CMP matches...

Has anyone here ever seen and not just heard of one coming apart?

armedsks

Feb 27, 2007
    Sharpsburg, MD
    In HATCHERS notebook. He has a few documented recievers cracking. On the top of my head i want to say a less than 100. Out of over 1 million produced low numbers. No deaths have been associated with the brittle rec's. Also he points out that the ammo used in the early years was poor quality also.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    Has anyone here ever seen and not just heard of one coming apart?

In HATCHERS notebook. He has a few documented recievers cracking. On the top of my head i want to say a less than 100. Out of over 1 million produced low numbers. No deaths have been associated with the brittle rec's. Also he points out that the ammo used in the early years was poor quality also.

That's the crux of the matter. There were some heated debates on the cmp forums about this and what it boiled down to for a lot of guys, was that low numbers were not worth the risk because high numbers(shooter grade) were so affordable.

The fact that they are not allowed in matches reduces their attraction further, and turns off a lot of those who would buy and shoot low numbers..

I know plenty of guys who shoot them without bad consequences but all of mine are high numbers from CMP.

It is a very pretty rifle though...

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    That's the crux of the matter. There were some heated debates on the cmp forums about this and what it boiled down to for a lot of guys, was that low numbers were not worth the risk because high numbers(shooter grade) were so affordable.

The fact that they are not allowed in matches reduces their attraction further, and turns off a lot of those who would buy and shoot low numbers..

I know plenty of guys who shoot them without bad consequences but all of mine are high numbers from CMP.

It is a very pretty rifle though...

Love the Springfield action, smooth and aesthetically very nice. Sold the only 03A3 I ever owned, Id rather have that back than ANY of my ex wives, Ahhhhh to keep the current wife and the 03 and I would be truly blessed. :o

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    January 2009.

Still haven't cleaned and restored them, one is still a barreled receiver (headspaced bolt already), but I'm looking for an unertl scope for that one....

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    I recently bought a 100% original 1903 from 1910, original barrel and everything with an excellent bore. The stock looks like shit though but its original.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom