• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    I've been trying some of the Berry's 185gr hollow base bullets in my .45. Has anyone else used these? Accuracy isn't amazing but that could easily be the shooter! What do ya'll think of these?

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    I have had better luck with rainier not sure why.

I'm going to stick to nosler for jacketed and hardcast for blasting. Found a good source for nice hardcast and the price is right.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    They are basically the old 230grRN in shape, but with 45gr worth of lead hollowed out in the middle. On paper they should shoot very well, the base may expand and tighten in the bore, they have the same neck tension and bearing surface, but greater case volume, and lower cost than 230gr RN. Problem is experience shows they are harder to work up an accurate load with than others. I tried them out, my Sig and Kimber 1911 shot them OK, USP and G30 hated them, and in all pistols they had more flyers than usual, might have been some powder getting stuck in the base. Unlike HBWC in revolvers with a big wide base cavity the Berrys have a deep narrow hole. A warm load with bullseye seemed to do best, although my favorite 200gr plated flat point load over 5-6gr of bullseye is far more consistent and accurate, shoots well in everything, or 200/230gr XTPs over longshot for a hot +p load around 1100/1000FPS.

Last edited:
    I have loaded and shot bulk Winchester 9mm HBRN bullets. they work well for me. Unlike the Berrys, the hollow base on these is cup shaped.

I can imagine if there was powder in Berry hollow base, it could continue burning after the bullet left the muzzle. That would explain the crazy flyers.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Extreme, Rainier, Berry's...all have given mediocre results at best. They are slick bullets so you need to keep neck tension very high - as in absolute minimal flare to seat the bullet. Not having that neck tension will lead to deep bullet setback and malfunction during feeding. Accuracy is average, I use these only for close and some indoor shooting or if cast and jacketed are unavailable

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom