• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • noone

Jul 3, 2011
    I bought this box of 175 grain SMK's up in NJ while visiting some friends it was the last one on the shelf and had a 40.00 dollar price tag, but I bought it any way. After I got home, it was a 2 hour one way trip, I opened the box the next day to load a few, that's when I saw the green splotches all over a number of the bullets. They were bad enough that you could feel it with your nail and you couldn't clean it off.
    I sent them back still waiting to hear what they have to say about it, any one else ever get any like this? Know what caused it? I know NJ has had toxic waste issues in the past but I never thought it would turn the bullets green, I wonder if they glowed when shot

Attachments

• bullets.jpg
      bullets.jpg
      85.3 KB · Views: 205

noone

Jul 3, 2011
    Sierra sent me 2 boxes to replace the box that was messed up. The said it looks like the bullets had been washed and put away wet but they don't wash their match bullets so he has no clue how they got wet.
    Very nice company to work with,
    In a time when reloading supplies are hard to get a lot of what you want, it's nice to know a company will just up and replace a product without a long wait and without any issues, unlike some who just don't return your call or email after months of trying hoping you will go away.
    My thanks to Seirra for the quick replacement of a defective product and for sending a extra box of bullets with the replacements

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Sierra sent me 2 boxes to replace the box that was messed up. The said it looks like the bullets had been washed and put away wet but they don't wash their match bullets so he has no clue how they got wet.
    Very nice company to work with,
    In a time when reloading supplies are hard to get a lot of what you want, it's nice to know a company will just up and replace a product without a long wait and without any issues, unlike some who just don't return your call or email after months of trying hoping you will go away.
    My thanks to Seirra for the quick replacement of a defective product and for sending a extra box of bullets with the replacements

Very surprised to see that! As mentioned by Coopermania, that's copper corrosion. Was surprised not to see an old Sierra cardboard box that would have made me think years of storage in a damp garage or basement. Never seen that in a box of new bullets. Common in old copper plumbing pipe. Good to know that Sierra took care of you here. Good company. Wondering if they would have any idea how this might have happened, even if they're not saying out loud. Damned if it makes sense to me.

Praeger

Apr 7, 2014
    Howard County
    Water alone would take some time to corrode to the extent these bullets had. But if the water was chlorinated or out gassing from chlorine based cleanser permeated the box it would had sped the process. I've never seen anything close to these, good to see Sierra making it right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom